Author Topic: A few tungsten questions  (Read 2597 times)

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
A few tungsten questions
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm about to place my first tungsten order and had a few questions.  I plan on using them mainly for trout/perch/gills.  I want to get a functional variety but my tackle funds are limited.  I'm thinking of going with either Sportsman's Direct or Fiskas from YourBobbersDown.   

What is the most versatile size or sizes? 
Is it a better bang for the buck to get more sizes or more colors of a particular size or two.
Do the crystal jigs make a difference?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: A few tungsten questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:13 AM »
   I use the bentleys with the crystal head and they work great cost a little more than the fiskas but in my opinion well worth it.  I also use fiskas the #3 for gills or for deep water 20' plus the #4.  I mainly fish for gills.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:19 AM »
i fish for panfish on heavy pressured lakes and the 4 and 5mm fiscars are the size i fish on 2lb test.sometimes a 3mm but its reallllllll small.have not tried the crystals yet. :icefish:

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:02 PM »
I prefer tungsten jigs...just like the way they jig fast n heavy.  I have a large selection of Fiskas epoxies that are my favorite.  The cheapest tungstens I have found are here http://www.ecoprotungsten.com/tungsten-tear-drop-ice-jigs/ .  I bout 60cpl of em and custom painted them to my liking.  Ill post a size comparison pic when I get time.
]

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:00 AM »

Top row: Fiskas epoxies 3mm,4mm,5mm
bottom row: eco protungsten .8gr, 1.6gr
]

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm about to place my first tungsten order and had a few questions.  I plan on using them mainly for trout/perch/gills.  I want to get a functional variety but my tackle funds are limited.  I'm thinking of going with either Sportsman's Direct or Fiskas from YourBobbersDown.   

What is the most versatile size or sizes? 
Is it a better bang for the buck to get more sizes or more colors of a particular size or two.
Do the crystal jigs make a difference?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

I order Fiskas from Your Bobbers Down personally, and have no complaints at all.

The 5mm is a good size for a variety of fish. I jigged up a 14" brownie on a 5mm in "hot bluejay" color this morning, and pulled perch on it this afternoon. The "glow joe" is a great color for me too. The 4mm would probably be better for gills, but I dont fish for them myself.  Id get a glow color(s), it will give you more looks.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:30 PM »
I personally like the Fiskas in the 4 mm size.  My son and I catch mostly bluegill with them.  We use white and the yellow with black dots. I have tried the 3mm, but I felt it was a little too small.  I didn't like the feel, but I may have been using 3 lb test- 2lb or 1 lb would likely be better.

pannyjigger.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I'm think I'm gonna go with 4-5s in a few different colors.

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:29 AM »
I'm using the #4 Bentley's in Glow, Yellow, Orange and White and they are getting the job done well for me on the panfish and Trout !

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:38 AM »
You won't regret a 3mm in your box...when the bite turns off send a 3mm down there and that smaller presentation turns em back on more times than not...5mm is better for crappie its a bit big for bluegills but you'll still get a few...goodluck

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:16 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I'm think I'm gonna go with 4-5s in a few different colors.

You should do well with them, especially on 2lb test. Give them a micro plastic tail or some meat and they produce good results. (wish I had a yellow though)

The 5mm is great for when you want to get down deep quick, and they transfer the feel to the rod great. You may want a 4mm for when the bite gets finicky though like others have said. I use them the day after a cold front.

Watch out for chipping the paint (the handpainted ones) with hemos or pliers though.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:00 PM »
the epoxi fiscas dont chip as fast.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:01 PM »
just placed my order... went with a mixed bag of 4s and 5s.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:11 PM »
 The 5mm and 6mm are great for dropping down thru slushly holes when moving fast looking for fish. No need to pull out the skimmer till ya find em. Then if they follow the bigger jig but refuse to hit, drop to a 4mm or even a 3mm, if that`s what it takes. I pre-rig 4 rods, one with a small spoon , another with a 5mm, another with a 4mm and a Flyreel combo with a 3mm. Line size drops as well as offering size , from 4# to 2# on the flyreel and the 4mm SpinningReel UL combo. I drop the spoon and the 5mm/6mms on 4#.

Offline nurmimn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2012, 11:44 PM »
I don't stick to just one company. It's all about the color and size options.

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2012, 09:47 AM »
I use #3 and #4 fiskas. gold has been my main color i use. I have other colors but the gold works great and never seem to go for the others. its like soft water fishing..... have 5 or 6 3700's full of different colors of plastics and only use about 2 or 3, lol, but ya never know there might be that one day that another color will be the ticket ;D
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2012, 09:42 PM »
I use #3 and #4 fiskas. gold has been my main color i use. I have other colors but the gold works great and never seem to go for the others. its like soft water fishing..... have 5 or 6 3700's full of different colors of plastics and only use about 2 or 3, lol, but ya never know there might be that one day that another color will be the ticket ;D
I've found the natural colors like gold,silver,and copper work good all the time !!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.