Author Topic: Lets Talk Tube Jigs  (Read 2062 times)

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
Lets Talk Tube Jigs
« on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:19 PM »
OK guys what brand Tubes do you prefer?
Dose the trigger scents seem to help better than a chunk of smelt/sucker?
What jigging technique do you use?
Anthony

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Lets Talk Tube Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2004, 10:25 PM »
I assume your talking about macks. I always tip my tube jigs with a piece of smelly baitfish meat, preferrably fresh sucker or carp, all the better from a small one too because the entrails are often in the bait too. If I can't get fresh ones, frozen anchovies work pretty good too. Would never not tip my tubes. Never.
For most lakers I like smaller tubes, but not too small. Two and half inches is perfect. The tentacles must be lively and not stiff. White, chartreuse, or glow work best. I usually fish for them with a 1/8 to 1/4 ounce head on light line, 6 - 10 pound mono or fluorocarbon. I add a small stinger treble to the main hook as well to nab short strikers.
In Colorado, aggressively jigging for macks almost always sends them running away. I generally do one, small and slow lift fall ever 30 seconds to a minute or so. Other than that, slowly jiggling and wiggling the tentacles with long pauses seems to be the trick in this state. I know people in other states have good success aggressively jigging, but it does not work in Colorado. The bite almost always occurs during the pause here.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2004, 05:35 AM »
Yes I was talking lakers  ;D

You only use a 2.5, 4" seems to be the size of choise up here.
Anthony

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2004, 03:03 PM »
I'll go with a 3.5" to 4.5" tube if I'm fishing Blue Mesa Reservoir which has a lot of great big ones.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline gudkatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2004, 08:04 AM »
My success comes with Bass Pro's 1.5" Salted Squirts.  My friends and I have caught just about every fresh water species of fish in New York and Ontario all year long.  My favorite colors imitate bait fish (pearl or glow) and crayfish (brown pepper flake).  When fished on plain or painted jigs, with or without bait under a Thill float these things are deadly.  I've heard some countries have banned plastics for the reason of there fish catching ability >:(.  I don't fish without them.
If a dog is man's best friend then a fish has to be man's best chum!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.