New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What have you lost in the hole?  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Reelax

• IceShanty Rookie
What have you lost in the hole?
« on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:42 PM »
It was just a matter of time. Perfect day on Oneida. Had it dialed in. 5 perch on the ice with waves coming thru every 10-15 minutes. Got up to step out of the shanty to stretch my legs and heard something fall. “What was that”? Hmm, where’s my phone? Glanced at the screen and saw a big object racing to the bottom. Yup, lost the phone. Ironically getting a new phone delivered tomorrow so no big loss. Would have kept on fishing but didn’t want my wife to worry when she couldn’t get a hold of me for the rest of the day. What about you? What fell down your hole?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What have you lost in the hole?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Phone almost made it this year, but luckily didn't bounced. When my daughter was little lots of ice scoops went to the bottom, a few jigs and spoons due to kids burning the line on the heater and me not seeing it.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:05 PM »
1 shale bar used as a spud  to the bottom and a friend's glasses  this year , can't  wait for next year!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:06 PM »
I have 3 phones on bottom of saratoga lake. 2 through ice and 1 open water. I'm a slow learner i guess

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Lost my phone on Lake George a couple weekends ago. Saw it sink to the bottom with the action of a good spoon. Even had the background pic of my family lit up as it went 40’ to the bottom. I ordered a floating waterproof case that night.

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:11 PM »
I've never owned a cell phone but if I ever do I think I just learned not to take it on the ice - hahaha

Just don’t bend over the hole to look down if your phones in your chest pocket that isn’t zipped up

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:21 PM »
Just don’t bend over the hole to look down if your phones in your chest pocket that isn’t zipped up

Same way my grandpa and his buddy has lost phones on the boat leaned over side to net a fish and bye bye cell phone
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2021, 07:19 PM »
i've lost a lot of those clip-on depth finders over the years.
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:16 AM »
Lost my first phone this year on LG. I watched it flutter down to 106'. At least it brought in a lake trout hahaha. Also lost my bowl  :pinch: A couple pliers over the years as well but thankfully not much more than that.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:21 AM »
Oh boy me personally old iPod , lantern globe, juul, fish whistle and scoop.  I've been witness to an 8 inch fry pan with 2 t bones , chisel, jig pole and my buddies only set of car keys wich had to wait 10 for gm to send him new ones

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:25 AM »
The year my dad passed away my brother and nephews came out ice fishing with me. We were about to have lunch and we were making hotdogs. My brother accidentally dropped a full pack of hot dogs down the hole and it sank. We watched it go down on the depth finder.  ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:27 AM »
pliers spud and a class ring once. ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:35 AM »
A phone and an electronic lettuce inhalation device lol, phone was on schroon got a flag, phone was on lap, raced up to get the flag and swoosh goes right down the hole perfect zero rim or bouncing for me to try to grab it watched it flutter all the way to the bottom on my graph. Another time I was night crappie fishing and my phone went for a dip but some how I stuck my hand in the hole and grabbed it b4 it got out of reach don’t ask me how I did that got lucky on the grab

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2021, 06:29 AM »
The year my dad passed away my brother and nephews came out ice fishing with me. We were about to have lunch and we were making hotdogs. My brother accidentally dropped a full pack of hot dogs down the hole and it sank. We watched it go down on the depth finder.  ;D

Sounds like he was chumming for pike, a bold strategy if they were still in the package though

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2021, 06:42 AM »
Ice scoops, lures or jigs, one glove, cell phone, and a pole !!! Yeah something big hits it while I’m reeling in a fish from the other hole... numerous perch also and yeah maybe a bit of my pride.😎😎😎😀😀😎🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:14 AM »
A friend once showing me his new filet knife, and it floats! Just to prove it, he put it in the water, and we watched it sink to the bottom.

Offline daytondedrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:25 AM »
My stress

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:25 AM »
 ::) ;)
I live back in the woods you see

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:42 AM »
I've been witness to an 8 inch fry pan with 2 t bones

:o :o :o :o :o

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:42 AM »
It was just a matter of time. Perfect day on Oneida. Had it dialed in. 5 perch on the ice with waves coming thru every 10-15 minutes. Got up to step out of the shanty to stretch my legs and heard something fall. “What was that”? Hmm, where’s my phone? Glanced at the screen and saw a big object racing to the bottom. Yup, lost the phone. Ironically getting a new phone delivered tomorrow so no big loss. Would have kept on fishing but didn’t want my wife to worry when she couldn’t get a hold of me for the rest of the day. What about you? What fell down your hole?

I still can't believe that people don't secure their phone in the field. Those things are too important and too expensive to just leave them to fall out and get lost. Hunting or fishing, I have a second plastic snap in case with a fishing tether on it. When I leave the truck, I pop the phone out of the normal case and snap it into the case secured to my coat or belt loop, and drop the phone into my pocket. Fish always bite when my hands are full, and I would have lost it many times without this. I just use a tether with a loop on the end, and since my phone case does not have a place to attach the tether, I loop it through the speaker hole.
There are a million options for tethers on Amazon and EBAY. I buy them by the handful and put them on everything:
https://smile.amazon.com/Pacific-Handy-Cutter-CL36-Lanyard/dp/B00HQNPEKU/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=fishing+tether&qid=1615390575&refinements=p_36%3A-700&rnid=386589011&sr=8-14

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:50 AM »
Sounds like he was chumming for pike, a bold strategy if they were still in the package though

I wonder how long they lasted down there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2021, 10:08 AM »
I still can't believe that people don't secure their phone in the field. Those things are too important and too expensive to just leave them to fall out and get lost. Hunting or fishing, I have a second plastic snap in case with a fishing tether on it. When I leave the truck, I pop the phone out of the normal case and snap it into the case secured to my coat or belt loop, and drop the phone into my pocket. Fish always bite when my hands are full, and I would have lost it many times without this. I just use a tether with a loop on the end, and since my phone case does not have a place to attach the tether, I loop it through the speaker hole.
There are a million options for tethers on Amazon and EBAY. I buy them by the handful and put them on everything:
https://smile.amazon.com/Pacific-Handy-Cutter-CL36-Lanyard/dp/B00HQNPEKU/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=fishing+tether&qid=1615390575&refinements=p_36%3A-700&rnid=386589011&sr=8-14

I'd rather lose my phone occasionally.  50 bucks for the insurance claim sure beats 1000 bucks on a new phone....

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2021, 11:32 AM »
I always seem to forget the glow light is on my lap and lost a few of those down the hole.  I had my phone go down this year for the first time.  Button that top button on your flannel pocket!  No case and the thing did a pencil dive to the bottom.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2021, 12:24 PM »
oh geez, a bunch of stuff. I had the drag adjuster drop off a reel one time while reeling in a perch, right down the hole. A couple pair of glasses. A can of soup one time, New England clam chowder, dropped off the cooker and flipped right into the hole open end down.... didn't catch a fish there for the rest of the day. Go figure. I lost an ice cleat down a hole too. There's some kinda strange gravitational pull, anything I drop on the ice will end up going straight down a nearby hole.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2021, 01:43 PM »
I still can't believe that people don't secure their phone in the field. Those things are too important and too expensive to just leave them to fall out.
I sometimes keep my rods on cross bar inside my shanty. My auger broke and I was using Google to see how to fix. Wind shook shanty and Pole fell from top of shanty and knocked phone out my hand and slide right into hole. I couldn't do it again if I tried.

Offline robert.d12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2021, 01:47 PM »
I thought it would be smart to send a brand new top of the line GoPro down the hole on a piece of pvc to see what the bottom looked like. Problem was that the clamp got brittle in the cold and it snapped and sank to the bottom. We went back that night and got it out of 9.5’ of water with a net taped to a stick of conduit.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2021, 01:50 PM »
Here's a short list of the memorable losses.

Samsung S5
Samsung S7 active (this one annoyed me as it was 7 fow in a life proof case)
Clam LED light
Otter xt650 support pole (front support, slippery hands)
Ice scoop (thank my daughter for that one)
Cabelas spud (props to my GF for sending that one to its grave)
Business end of a HT 7" hand auger (way back when I was getting started)

I almost lost jigging rods putting them in the roof of the flipover!  Almost lost car keys once and now they never see the light of day.

Offline awolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2021, 07:00 PM »
(prescription) sunglasses this winter. Guess I was due for new ones anyway.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:02 PM »
ice scoop and two jigging poles with reels of course! :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline adkoutdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Not me but I had a fella come up to me last year with some magnets and an underwater camera in his hand and asked me and the group that I was fishing with if we could help him retrieve his auger that had sunk to the bottom of Schroon Lake the previous day in our tip-up spread. We tried for a half hour to hook the auger to the magnets but we could never get them to stick for more than a few seconds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.