New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: DEC needs your help/ Striped Bass Anglers  (Read 1824 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
DEC needs your help/ Striped Bass Anglers
« on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:24 AM »
 Hello fellow New York anglers the DEC is looking for volunteers to help them with their count of Striped Bass numbers in NY. waters. The count will help the state and Mid Atlantic Fishery Council  better see the condition of striped bass population and make any needed changes to regulations. You can see the press release on this subject at the DEC's website. Also it appears you will now have to use circle hooks when fishing for striped bass .

Link to DEC website is below once on the website click on News and Learning then look for press release on Feb22ND titled DEC seeks volunteers for Striped Bass Cooperative Anglers Program.

www.dec.ny.gov

Thank you for taking the time to view and read this post  .If you enjoy fishing the Tidal waters of Hudson River and marine waters of Long Island and NYC for striped bass please consider volunteering for this program

If you have a subscription to the Times Herald Record 's website you can see/read an article similar to the DEC's press release on this topic and circle hook requirement.

Times Herald Record website-www.recordonline.com

May everyone have a good finish to your ice fishing seasons and a great open water fishing season.

Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: DEC needs your help/ Striped Bass Anglers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:18 AM »
If you fish stripers in the Hudson, participation in the Co-operative Angler Program is something you have to do. Not only do you get a really good summary report for the year from Jessica Best - DEC Program Coordinator, but you get to influence regulators through your data.

Additionally, when you get up to 3-4 years (I've been doing it for 6) you start to see trends in when, where and on what, that will improve you catch and enjoyment.

And even better - Jess sends you the logs and a SASE - so the only thing you invest is a little ink and time on the river.   

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:56 AM »
 Chessieman thank you for your reply since I have never fished for striped in the Hudson river or waters around Long Island and NYC did not realize you must take part in the Co-operative Anglers program. Good point about the information you record helping you with fishing. I also believe you must obtain a free (?) marine fishing permit/license which can be done through the DEC's website.

Steve

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:59 AM »
i have  questions  i have  caught taged  strippers ocean  side that were recorded in the  hudson so it's the same fish why are there different rules and size limits  ? make no sence

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2021, 04:28 PM »
I'll participate  ;D . . Anyone else from Stripers 24/7 . .

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Yes, you need a Recreation Marine Registry # - easy to get on-line -  https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html and free - DEC ECO's do check for this - you do not need an NYS Fishing license if you are fishing for stripers in the Hudson, BUT if you catch anything else and keep it - a walleye of northern you need one -

Regarding tagged fish - we have caught several all the way up to Troy - there are several different agencies that tag fish - the tags are colored coded by agency - some of the tags you can read the number and coupled with the color code get info - if you can't read the tag - you can cut if off - Do Not pull it out - and extract the info - besides the info on when where,.. the fish was tagged  - you sometimes get a "catch certificate" and a hat!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:59 AM »
Chessieman thank you for providing the link to the marine permit area of the DEC's website and information on tagged fish.  In regards to Trapper2000's question due you have any insight as to why there are different slot lengths for the Hudson river and ocean waters .
 Steve

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2021, 02:33 PM »
you can  get your marine  reg   when you get your  fishing license it's  free and  no ig deal but  you  do need it if your over 16

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:23 PM »
A marine license runs from 1/1 to 12/31 , so actually,  you can't get them at time of buying a license. 
The purpose of different size/ slots above the GW in nys is that is considered spawning ground.  I totally hate and disagree with the slot and now what's going to be a circle hook mandate.
This fishery ( Hudson river) is being screwed over royal and I will NOT  participate in a dec survey angler program.

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2021, 07:46 AM »
Regarding the difference in regulations above and below the George Washington Bridge - I believe it's because of overlapping jurisdictions - each state tries to regulate fisheries within their boundaries - while the ASMFC (Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Council) regulates (or tries to regulate) the "ocean" fishery - that's why there are different min, sizes, "slots",... going from state to state or in our case above or below the GW - AND why commercial length limits and circle hook requirements are different from recreational regs. 

Most of the striper fisherman I've met fishing and/or in meetings on regulations have the same complaint regarding the geographic discrepancies - everyone (Governing agency) wants their piece of the pie and as usual, it's the fish and anglers who suffer the fail-out.   

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2021, 08:17 AM »
A marine license runs from 1/1 to 12/31 , so actually,  you can't get them at time of buying a license. 
The purpose of different size/ slots above the GW in nys is that is considered spawning ground.  I totally hate and disagree with the slot and now what's going to be a circle hook mandate.
This fishery ( Hudson river) is being screwed over royal and I will NOT  participate in a dec survey angler program.

sorry hot tuna  but thats  not  quite right

i got mine  may to may

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2021, 09:12 AM »
Better than that Trap if you have a marine license in another state it's reciprocal.  Had the EPO at the Hudson scratching his head.  Had both a NYS inland and a CT marine.  He had to phone it in!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2021, 09:39 AM »
sorry hot tuna  but thats  not  quite right

i got mine  may to may

Yeah your right trapper.  I just looked at mine.  Somehow I got way off cycle on my marine/ reg fishing.
If I remember correctly,  when nys first implemented marine stamp,  they changed $10.00 and ran 1/1- 12/31.
Can't wait.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2021, 10:46 AM »
tuna i think the  first year we had to have them and they charged the  10 bucks it was jan to jan  i'll  go looking at my old license

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2021, 10:47 AM »

Not trying to pick a battle but would love to know your viewpoints behind a slot limit and then the circle hook rule? Its not a target species of mine normally so i dont know the details behind some of the regulations. I always find myself in favor of slot limits, would the size they choose for the slot be what the issue as oppose to the idea of a slot?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2021, 10:58 AM »
Chessieman  thank you for the explanation of differing slot limits between Hudson river north of the GWB and "Ocean" waters I figured the ASMFC might have same say over ocean water regulations and try to have all Atlantic states with similar slot limits. Out of interest I looked at New Jersey's striped bass regulations they have a different slot limit for the Delaware rive and its tributaries and NJ. ocean waters.
Trapper2000 thanks for the information on the Marine permits I,m on New Jersey's registry since I'v vacationed at the Jersey shore for numerous years.
Hot Tuna looks like we don't have much choice about hooks it appears the ASMFC wants circle hooks used in all of the Atlantic states. Nice photo did you or the young man who i assume is a grandson catch the striper. I believe you are correct about the marine permit costing $10.00 at one time.
Hello Adirondzach ,I do not currently fish for striped bass either just started the topic to provide information to Ice Shanty members who may fish for them. I believe the reasoning for circle hooks is that most of the fish would be hooked in the mouth and make for easier release and unharmed fish. Since starting this topic I've done a little research/reading appears some consider Striped Bass an over fished species so regulations need to be updated/ change to ensure the fishery continues into the future.

May everyone have a good remaining ice fishing season. Best to all of you this striped bass season.

Steve

Steve

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2021, 12:17 PM »
I used to participate heavily in the ASMFC meetings and will tell all of you that the regulations passed are to reduce recreational harvest while the ASMFC continues to allow large commercial harvests of striped bass despite knowing the stocks of striped bass are currently low.  Due to the real lobbying from Commercial fishermen towards the ASMFC there is a slant towards supporting them over recreational anglers. It's funny that the rec limit was reduced by 50% but the commercial limit was not.

I also don't trust the ASMFC when they are looking to quickly reverse a ruling that prevents inshore dragging during the spawning season.  They (ASMFC) had detailed scientific data as to how inshore dragging was effecting various fish stocks and shut it down. Now they are accepting public comment on possible lifting of that former ruling despite all the science.

Circles if you use them enough for stripers truly suck.  If you got hook a fish forget about it...and remember Circles were designed to passively hook fish on long lines....try setting the hook with them and it's failure.  I'll take a ticket and continue using octopus hooks with eels.  Less gut hooks when you can drive the hook home immediately without losing the fish.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2021, 06:00 PM »
Iowa pretty much summed it up.
Long story version,  I grew up on the Hudson river to this day. Its 1.5 miles from my house and a major trib above rip van winkle is 1/2 mile in my back yard leading into the Hudson. There were no marine registry,  there was a commercial shad harvest from a well known netter I knew. Stripers were by catch and nuisance to the nets. Recreational was 3 stripers . Commercial stripers took place along the coastal waters and really hurt the population,  not recreational.  The recreational took their first blow in the 80's to a 2 fish limit while commercial coastal was unchanged.  Finally a lightbulb popped and suddenly the striped bass and shad population declined severely.  The marine fishery put a ban on shad commercial harvest and required a marine registry for recreational to evaluate the recreational fishing.  It was free,  just a regerstry not a license.  Well,  our great governor Andrew,  tried to seize the moment and put a change of $10.00 on that federal registry in his great state of for the new York people .
It was repealed and I got a $10.00 refund check after the 3rd year.

So to answer the circle hooks question  :
The curve on the point is so severe,  you basically need a 9/0 tuna hook for it to catch properly around the wide, thick lip bone of a striper.
Generally a striper will open its tremendous mouth and suck a whole herring in like a vacuum.  A circle is designed to put pressure on the line to pull the hook so it rotates into position.  That very rarely happens using a 12" live herring. You either pull the bait out of fish mouth or you gut hook it to never get it out.
A standard J or octopus hook is designed for a hook st to drive the point in.if a striper vacuums a whole bait,  you have a better hook ratio and placement by setting the hook in its jaw parting with the bait.

Whew,  I'm tired.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2021, 06:35 PM »
 Lowaccord66,Hot Tuna thank you for the information on the ASMFC and Circle hooks. I have friends who like the two of you feel there needs to be changes made to the commercial fishing regulations for striped bass.

Hot Tuna I believe it is Low Accord 66,think he owned a Honda Accord at one time  possibly his first car.

Steve

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2021, 12:14 PM »
OK, in no particular order

Circle hooks - they've always been "love 'em or leave 'em" - yes, they are counter intuitive, you Do Not set the hook, something that our fathers and grand fathers engrained in us years ago -  on average I striper fish 60-80 days/year and I use them exclusively and have no issue - And yes I catch fish, boat total last year was 65. The data supports the reduced  mortality when circles are used - this is an argument you won't win - learn to use 'em. Yes - you  have to use BIG sizes, I use 7/0 and make sure the point is exposed. 

Regarding the ASMFC pandering to the "commercial" fisherman - yes, I believe there is an element of truth there - why, I suspect because they (the commercial guys) present their case better than we (recreational anglers) do - they have lobbyists, we have a bunch of complaining individuals - we have to become the "Squeaky wheel" - that's why participating in the Cooperative Angler Program is so important - it gives DEC real data on which to base changes (if necessary) and refute ASMFC proposals.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2021, 12:29 PM »
 To everyone who has posted to this topic thank you for the information and opinions.  My knowledge of striped bass and how NY. state and the ASMFC manage the season has increased. I kindly ask that we respect each others opinions and try to keep things polite so this topic/thread is not locked. Thank you for your cooperation.

Steve

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2021, 01:10 PM »
I've used circle hooks side by side with octopus using live herring.  The hook ratio is totally one sided to an octopus hook.  The gut hook leans towards circle.
They may work for cut bunker but not a live herring. I dock and fish with charters,  I highly doubt you'll see them using anything but a J or octopus. 
So now the question,  can I still use a treble or are they limited to artificial only  ?
Why if circle hooks are data proven,  you never see one on an artificial lure ?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:51 AM »
I've used circle hooks side by side with octopus using live herring.  The hook ratio is totally one sided to an octopus hook.  The gut hook leans towards circle.
They may work for cut bunker but not a live herring. I dock and fish with charters,  I highly doubt you'll see them using anything but a J or octopus. 
So now the question,  can I still use a treble or are they limited to artificial only  ?
Why if circle hooks are data proven,  you never see one on an artificial lure ?

There's very limited data RJ that they are beneficial.  Like I said I'll happily take a ticket on this one.  It's in the best interest of the bass.  What time really is the the ASMFC had been lobbied hard by commercials that want to continue to harvest and sell striped bass.  They cut the rec harvest stating its due to overfishing and then leave the commercial harvest almost unchanged.  I used to participate in Mass....I think last year's quota was over 12 million pounds.  The issue is the recreational anglers have no voice.  Look when ASMFC sets up the meetings for public comment.  Weekdays, middle of the day usually when a majority of recreational anglers can't attend.  Then you go and it's all commercial fishermen....so until we start going and showing our voice here's what I expect to happen....eventually there will first be a moratorium for recreational harvest, then eventually the stick will collapse and commercial fishing will be crap down for a bit...I can say this confidently because it already happened in the 70's.  Some of you may remember it.

Also surprising is bluefish stocks are historically low now too!  I wonder how many here know those are harvested and sold commercially to a great extent.  I knew they were pennies on the dollar compared to whole stripers but wasn't aware at how much harvesting was going on. 

Quite frankly I miss the oddball chopper blue slamming a rigged eel or a giant Danny plug. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.