New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont bay  (Read 13687 times)

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chaumont bay
« Reply #60 on: Feb 27, 2021, 08:30 AM »
How is the crowd that walk out of long point?  I have only ever gone out with a friend on their sled from the boat launch (twice).  Would like to walk out on my own one day before the season ends and catch a couple perch

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #61 on: Feb 27, 2021, 08:58 AM »
Sounds like a someone went in this morning waiting on more details
Just enjoying life

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #62 on: Feb 27, 2021, 09:51 AM »
From last week I think. Not to recent. Know the gentleman with the airboat helping recovery.
As for the walk wear cleats the rain should help tremendously to help the last of snow melt.
Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 27, 2021, 12:23 PM »
Out here since 7:30, wind has been pounding all day and getting a little slushy. Glare ice in some areas. Perch bite is great when they come through hitting anything I can get down the hole fast enough, then shuts right off.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 27, 2021, 02:12 PM »
I heard the were practice recovering today. Bite was on and off....
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 27, 2021, 03:16 PM »
I heard the were practice recovering today. Bite was on and off....
It was both. The FD was there doing training and the recovery guys were there together. Watched for a bit. The recovery guys are there FD is gone now.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 27, 2021, 03:51 PM »
2 more flurries once the sun came out and ended up with 24 keepers for the day. Slow but worth thebtrip

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #67 on: Feb 27, 2021, 04:34 PM »
From last week I think. Not to recent. Know the gentleman with the airboat helping recovery.
As for the walk wear cleats the rain should help tremendously to help the last of snow melt.
Tight lines
Perchin

Off tip of 3 mile was the guy in today.  Last week was long point
Just enjoying life

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:22 PM »
Off tip of 3 mile was the guy in today.  Last week was long point
Ok. I guess I didn’t sit and watch them do some training off long point today. I then heard later that someone went thru @squaw island. Not sure when but I had already left long point and the FD at that time. The recovery divers finished up about an hr or so ago retrieving the atv and maybe other gear from last week.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 27, 2021, 07:48 PM »
As we walked off the ice tonight anyone going out Sunday should know that the entire area from the launch to duck bay(probably all of Chaumont) is slush and standing water on the ice.  Anyone on machines will get soaked if they try to bolt out in the morning in the dark.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #70 on: Feb 27, 2021, 09:08 PM »
Ok. I guess I didn’t sit and watch them do some training off long point today. I then heard later that someone went thru @squaw island. Not sure when but I had already left long point and the FD at that time. The recovery divers finished up about an hr or so ago retrieving the atv and maybe other gear from last week.

Correct fd was at long point training.  The utv by long point was recovered today.
Just enjoying life

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:07 AM »
I heard that something had gone thru in duck bay/mouth of river area semi recent as well but no conformation. Wind has laid down a bit and the slush and snow are gone. Now there are puddles ponds and lakes as deep as 3-4” not horrible as for travel just kinda sub par conditions. Good luck out there hopefully a few more weeks yet.
Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 28, 2021, 04:00 PM »
Anyone try Guffins lately?
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:55 PM »
I never said i wanted locations from the hardware store. I said in all the times I've been there, "friendly" and "helpful" don't come close to describing their customer service.  Ive been there when theres 10 guys waiting for bait, and I've been there when I'm the only person in the store.

he sells bait and tackle, and puts a map on the counter showing hazardous spots. I'm not knocking him for what he does, he sells stuff, we  buy it. There's nothing wrong with that.  I'm saying i have never seen the friendly helpful attitude that people on the internet claim they receive there. Ive talked to several people who have had the same experience.

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 05, 2021, 10:19 PM »
I never said i wanted locations from the hardware store. I said in all the times I've been there, "friendly" and "helpful" don't come close to describing their customer service.  Ive been there when theres 10 guys waiting for bait, and I've been there when I'm the only person in the store.

he sells bait and tackle, and puts a map on the counter showing hazardous spots. I'm not knocking him for what he does, he sells stuff, we  buy it. There's nothing wrong with that.  I'm saying i have never seen the friendly helpful attitude that people on this the internet claim they receive there. Ive talked to several people who have had the same experience.

I will apologize for my last post! Went into hardware store for bait on Thursday morning. I asked for shiners and They were listed as small shiners. They were 3” or larger. So then I asked for emeralds and they were 3”. I then asked for buckeyes and Greg said “you don’t even know what you want”. So I grabbed a scoop of fatheads because I wanted 1-1/2-2” emeralds.
      I know what I wanted and small shiners are not 3”. I don’t care what I spend for bait as long as it is what works. I drove 4 hours and was treated like an idiot.
      Well we caught a bucket load of perch on my old 2” emeralds and nothing on fatheads. I will now bring all my bait with me instead of stopping in town for it.
       This was my first bad experience at Chaumont hardware and I apologize for giving crap to those who said that they had bad customer service at Chaumont Hardware.
        Tight lines to all and stay safe. Btw got a 14” perch on my old bait.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Mar 06, 2021, 06:43 AM »
I will apologize for my last post! Went into hardware store for bait on Thursday morning. I asked for shiners and They were listed as small shiners. They were 3” or larger. So then I asked for emeralds and they were 3”. I then asked for buckeyes and Greg said “you don’t even know what you want”. So I grabbed a scoop of fatheads because I wanted 1-1/2-2” emeralds.
      I know what I wanted and small shiners are not 3”. I don’t care what I spend for bait as long as it is what works. I drove 4 hours and was treated like an idiot.
      Well we caught a bucket load of perch on my old 2” emeralds and nothing on fatheads. I will now bring all my bait with me instead of stopping in town for it.
       This was my first bad experience at Chaumont hardware and I apologize for giving crap to those who said that they had bad customer service at Chaumont Hardware.

Congrats on the catch.
Sorry you got the “out of towner” treatment while in there.
Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Mar 06, 2021, 04:50 PM »
Decent day today on the rock pile

Offline limitout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Mar 06, 2021, 05:29 PM »
nice Kracken

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 06, 2021, 06:41 PM »
Lots of little guys but it was a decent day, thanks

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Mar 07, 2021, 07:20 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.  Grabbed bait elsewhere! 

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Mar 09, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Probably a long shot but apparently I left my strikemaster ice auger in the parking lot last Saturday and wondering if anyone on here recovered it?  I went to use it today and realized I didn’t have it in my shanty. End of the season for me now.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #81 on: Mar 10, 2021, 03:11 AM »
 I wish you luck recovering you auger , check FB as it maybe posted there ,
 You could give the hardware store a call

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:41 PM »
I called the hardware store and left my contact info but since it hasn’t been reported by now I think it’s a lost cause. Who knows, maybe someone may still report it. 🤞

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Mar 11, 2021, 10:02 AM »
I called the hardware store and left my contact info but since it hasn’t been reported by now I think it’s a lost cause. Who knows, maybe someone may still report it. 🤞

Have a friend there now. I'll let him know just in case someone is aware.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Thanks SR I appreciate that.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Mar 15, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Anybody still on Three mile bay?  I know the public launch is probably a washout by now, I'm just wondering about the ice on the bay and shoreline along 3 mile point.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Mar 18, 2021, 12:55 PM »
Just received a text from a friend about a dive team being sent to Chaumont to recover someone. No other details, sounds bad.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Mar 18, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Just received a text from a friend about a dive team being sent to Chaumont to recover someone. No other details, sounds bad.
Sure that wasn't Chippewa?

https://www.nny360.com/news/stlawrencecounty/one-dead-another-survives-after-four-wheeler-breaks-through-ice-near-hammond/article_c6875121-b73c-52b4-9c93-0295617632c7.html

Not saying it wasn't both, just cant find any news or FB posts about Chaumont anywhere.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Mar 18, 2021, 04:15 PM »
I was only reporting what was reported to me by my friend.  I assume this happen this afternoon and that he heard it on his scanner. He lives in St Lawrence county so it may have been the accident you referenced.  I have not received any other details.  Unfortunately, I could not review the article from the link in your post, it was redacted, perhaps top secret.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Mar 18, 2021, 05:51 PM »
I have the problem with that site from my phone. On the laptop it works fine, but on the phone it makes me answer a survey to reveal the article, but still doesn’t work after the survey.

They were the first news site reporting it, but now it’s been on 7news and newzjunky and others.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.