New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091893 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hello everybody! Haven't been here in a while. Getting ready for my first outing this season. Going to hit Highland and/or Swingingbridge on Sat. Does anyone know if bait shop in Liberty is still open? I tried to call there but the # is disconnected :(. Are there any other places in the area that open early?

Hey MaxT, If you add your location to your profile we will know which direction you are coming from.

I don't know if the liberty bait shop is still there. The old Agway in Liberty has bait and the farm market on 17B just a ways past the raceway has bait but none open super early, 8AM I think. I usually get mine the evening before if I want to get an early start.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline maxt

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey MaxT, If you add your location to your profile we will know which direction you are coming from.

I don't know if the liberty bait shop is still there. The old Agway in Liberty has bait and the farm market on 17B just a ways past the raceway has bait but none open super early, 8AM I think. I usually get mine the evening before if I want to get an early start.

Gary

Thanks Gary. I'm coming from NJ and won't be there till 8-9pm tonight. So being that they all close around 5-6pm I'll have to get my bait in the morning.

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Gary. I'm coming from NJ and won't be there till 8-9pm tonight. So being that they all close around 5-6pm I'll have to get my bait in the morning.
Depending on where in Jersey you are comming from....I know there is a bait shop on 284N of sussex NJ.....it's actually just over the border in NY.  Its called ----End of the Line Deli........there is a gasoline station there too.  Think they are open till 6 or 7pm.   You can call them at (845)726-3228
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline maxt

• IceShanty Rookie
Depending on where in Jersey you are comming from....I know there is a bait shop on 284N of sussex NJ.....it's actually just over the border in NY.  Its called ----End of the Line Deli........there is a gasoline station there too.  Think they are open till 6 or 7pm.   You can call them at (845)726-3228

Thanks for the info Hammer. I'll keep them in mind.

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the info Hammer. I'll keep them in mind.
no problem.....anytime.  Good Luck with your trip.

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
Anyone been to Morningside Lk.  Was thinking of heading up there on Saturday.  Never been there before and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.   Thanx in advance for any help

Hammer morningside can be tough but if you hit it right it is pretty nice.  Most people like to fish the back half of the lake.  Anywhere out there.  You have to be there earlier because it can fill up sometimes.  Park right by the little building they have there and walk on.  The area by the swingset can be tricky sometimes near the edge. 

Not sure where you are coming from or if you need directions but here they are from Sparrowbush, forestburgh,etc .  Follow route 42 north.  At the blinking light in Monticello make the right.  Go through the first light and make the next left.  Take that straight for like 10 miles (really roughly).  You will eventually see a sign that says Hurleyville with a road veering off to the left, take this.  Follow this road till you get to a 4 way red light with what looks like open fields in front of you.  Make that right.  The lake will be on your left maybe a mile down the road.  First is the playground and right down the hill you will see the little building I told you about

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hammer morningside can be tough but if you hit it right it is pretty nice.  Most people like to fish the back half of the lake.  Anywhere out there.  You have to be there earlier because it can fill up sometimes.  Park right by the little building they have there and walk on.  The area by the swingset can be tricky sometimes near the edge. 

Not sure where you are coming from or if you need directions but here they are from Sparrowbush, forestburgh,etc .  Follow route 42 north.  At the blinking light in Monticello make the right.  Go through the first light and make the next left.  Take that straight for like 10 miles (really roughly).  You will eventually see a sign that says Hurleyville with a road veering off to the left, take this.  Follow this road till you get to a 4 way red light with what looks like open fields in front of you.  Make that right.  The lake will be on your left maybe a mile down the road.  First is the playground and right down the hill you will see the little building I told you about
Thanx for the info

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just for everyones information:  There is a new baitshop in Glen Spey at the bottom of 31 near 97.  There number is 845-856-0741.  They are just really starting out.  They are open 6 days a week 7am-8pm.  We got bait there today.  Mediums were really nice sized- $6  Large- $7  X-Large- $8

I didnt go myself my brother went.  If you are interested give him a call for directions and such.  I guess he has minnows only now but he is working on getting fully supplied.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
7 of us going out today. should be a good day.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Maxt, Mountian Bait and Tackle in Liberty (near rt.17 exit 100) is no longer in business. YOU can get live bait at Sport Nuts in Rock Hill (exit 109/rt.17) they open at 9 am ,also the Trading Post hardware store on Broadway in Monticello was selling live bait fish this fall store opens at 8am. Coming from Middletown,NY. get off rt.17 at exit 106 make a left at end of ramp cross over rt.17 this road becomes Broadway store is across from shopping mall with Aldi's supermarket. If you or anyone is heading further west try Fur,FIN and Feather in Livingston Manor (EXIT 96 rt.17)
  Steve

Offline nefarious

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone have any ideas how the ice conditions will be for Morningside Lake on Monday?  I'm thinking of heading up there and am a bit wary due to the expected rain/freezing rain mix.  I'm sure it'll be a bit wet, but that's not really my concern.  Just wondering how the ice will hold up, especially with the warm weather we've been having combined with the rain.  I heard it's pretty thick up there.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Offline nefarious

• IceShanty Rookie
Clearly, there's only one way to find out, but I live a little far to just find out haha.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Nefarious, I did a search of my fishing info. files give Sports Nuts in Rock Hill a call they should be able to give you some report on Morningside.
                       845-794-2000
  You could also try Diamond Lake in Winding Hills Park off of roue 17k in Town Of Montgomery,NY.  Call the Ranger Station at  (845-457-4918)

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Does anyone have any ideas how the ice conditions will be for Morningside Lake on Monday?  I'm thinking of heading up there and am a bit wary due to the expected rain/freezing rain mix.  I'm sure it'll be a bit wet, but that's not really my concern.  Just wondering how the ice will hold up, especially with the warm weather we've been having combined with the rain.  I heard it's pretty thick up there.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
it is a tough call but it takes alot longer to melt up there.. southern regions will thaw alot with rain ..but if the nights are below and the days are cloudy, even if it were to rain, i'm betting the ice stays safe in the above monticello and catskills.
lonelywolf lol

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Was there today (saturday).  Fished from 6:30am till noon.....1 small bluegill.   Not worth the 2hr trip for me.  There was it least 12-16 inches of ice there.    good luck and tight lines

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
went out today.  Morning was really slow.  About 1130 it picked up, I caught 1 really nice pickerel will post when I figure out the phone.  How did everyone esle do

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
7 of us going out today. should be a good day.
How did you guys make out today!!!!!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
How did you guys make out today!!!!!

slow, but we got some fish. nothing to eat. :'(
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I'll post pics in the AM...made out pretty decent today...brought 10 gills/crappies home

Offline nefarious

• IceShanty Rookie
hey, thanks a lot guys.  I'll def give that number a call to see how it is up there tomorrow. I'm hoping a little freezing rain won't do too much damage in one day.

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey, thanks a lot guys.  I'll def give that number a call to see how it is up there tomorrow. I'm hoping a little freezing rain won't do too much damage in one day.

You should be fine, I was out on Wolf Lake across Rt 17 from Rock Hill last two days and we have over 12". Sports Nuts in Rock Hill have plenty of bait too.
Good luck if you go.

Dan
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I didn't get a "money shot" of the bring home fish, but a couple of the ones I caught went back in...here goes !

First Flag of the year yielded this one

Ever jig up a carp ? measured out at 15"

small pile of crappies and gills

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
good job topher!

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Topher that second pic looks like a sucker.....not a carp

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
yup, sucker=musky bait!

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone been up to Swinging Bridge Res. ??

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
After looking at it, I stand corrected, its a sucker, and yes, a bit big for my tip ups for musky bait though ;D

Here's what we brought home  ;D

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
slow, but we got some fish. nothing to eat. :'(
At least you got out, think this rain is going to put us back a week or 2!!!!!!!

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
besides greenwoodlake anybody know of a real good place for ice fishing. i catch a lot of pickerel and bass were i go, but i want to try to catch no fish like pike or walleye.

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone have information on the beaver dam lake ice fishing contest? Also Sackett?  thanks for any help 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.