New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1094296 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Found a post on FB ..cant find another source ..if anyone can verify it would be appreciated.

February 27th Swan Lake ice fishing contest. Come out and support your F.D. Have great time on the ice with family and friends. Food drinks will be served.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hayner12578

• IceShanty Rookie
Has anyone heard why access to Upton Lake was lost. Usually go there early in the season until bigger waters freeze up but tried a couple of weeks ago and the Federation parking lot is no longer usable. Was wondering why it was lost.  Thanks and tight lines

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
The stupid federation gave it up to omega i statute they didn’t want to pay for the taxes anymore and were to stupid to offer it to someone who would have kept it open it’s gone for good now

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished west branch this morning. 5-6” of ice with 8-10” of snow and slush on top.
We didn’t catch anything.

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished west branch this morning. 5-6” of ice with 8-10” of snow and slush on top.

Hey sea dog, west branch reservoir I assume? Is it all covered? I have been waiting to fish there for a while now

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie

My father and I were there as well. I got nothing he got 1 yellow.

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
My father and I were there as well. I got nothing he got 1 yellow.

Where were you fishing on West Branch? Little Fill side?

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
Where were you fishing on West Branch? Little Fill side?

No, closer to 301 causeway.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sullivan county lakes reports. Anyone out on either SB, White Lake, Toronto, Highland, Huntington or Superior that can report the current conditions regarding snow pack, Slush and ice thickness? I hope to get out this week but need to know if I am walking and dragging or can take the machine out.

Thanks

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Vasquez ice bandits

• IceShanty Rookie
There’s plenty of ice on the local reservoirs. Fished Gilead, Croton falls and the middle branch this week. Planning on trying the Muscoot on Saturday.

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
6 hours on Gilead today for one small yellow. Everyone else around me seemed to be having the same luck.

Offline Vasquez ice bandits

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished Gilead today as well, had one flag in 5 hours.

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey sea dog, west branch reservoir I assume? Is it all covered? I have been waiting to fish there for a while now
Yes West branch reservoir. I saw people fishing by the causeway on the small side of the reservoir. I can’t comment on the main part of the reservoir

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorry, I thought I had put where I was fishing in my original post but I didn’t.
We were fishing by Nichols road.

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished small side 301 causeway action pretty dead. Didn't see anyone pull up something

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Slow day on Diverting! Only one yellow perch on a Tip-up. Lots of lookers while jigging.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Highland lake 6" slush and water!! Sucks walking all atv stuck!!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Interested in more info on how the Highland Lake contest went.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Very sloppy conditions at highland lake. 6-8" of slush and water once you drilled holes.good turnout of fisherman. I took 3rd with a perch. I caught 50 dink micro perch and few keepers and a big bull head catfish on jig rod. Some nice crappie entered and some pickerel.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Fished Friday local had 6-8" of ice then about 4" slush and half in to an Inch of hard crust on top.... conditions were well improved from the prior week slow day overall only a couple bass picker and one perch between the 2 of us.... We shall see what the next storms bring praying the current forecast for rain on Friday stays true to get rid of some of this snow

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fished a small lake in Sullivan today. A good six inches of slush under the snow. Not one flag today! A few quick marks on sonar and that was that. Good day to try out new gear.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've been sticking to the island as we have had decent ice and little to no snow. Had an 18" brown this weekend on a tipup and a bunch of bass, pickerel, 12-14" perch, and gills.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've been sticking to the island as we have had decent ice and little to no snow. Had an 18" brown this weekend on a tipup and a bunch of bass, pickerel, 12-14" perch, and gills.
Location?

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good day on Croton Falls today!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
The bite was slow, but we made it work for us.  All jigging.

Saturday:

And Sunday:

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Has anyone heard why access to Upton Lake was lost. Usually go there early in the season until bigger waters freeze up but tried a couple of weeks ago and the Federation parking lot is no longer usable. Was wondering why it was lost.  Thanks and tight lines

Evidently there is a dispute over the right of way with a landowner that hasn’t been settled yet.  That is a great lake to fish.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
I think parking is the issue there as well a guy used to let people park in his yard a few houses before access maybe he stopped allowing it

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I took my loop ride today around Sullivan County lakes just to check on conditions. Nothing good to report as of today. SB had no one on it and not much sign of anyone having been out. From the public launch it looks pretty nasty with lots of soft slushy spots all over the lake. Pretty much the same on Toronto at the Moscoe road launch. It looks as though a 4 wheeler went through the ice just out from the launch and a few other tracks I could see where machines went out but turned around quick and gave up because of the deep snow and slush. White lake has had some activity but mostly just out from the public launch parking lot. Snow right there has been packed down pretty well and a few guys were fishing but only out about 100 yards where the traffic has packed it down. I tried walking out further but turned back because the snow was too deep with slush under it. On the 17B side there are some tracks where I could see machines got stuck pretty bad but no signs of anyone who fished all last week and I have no hope that things will get better by this weekend. There is still a good foot of snow on top with slush below and very difficult walking and probably a lot worse for machines. We are getting a mix of sleet and some light rain at noon today and probably a lot more tonight into tomorrow. If you plan to fish in most of the lake bring your high rubbers and leave the machines home IMO. I would not even think about taking my Snowdog with the studded track out on that crap. As I said, you could fish close to the launch area but only because lots of traffic did pack down a few decent paths. The guys who were fishing had nothing on the ice by the time I left around 11 today. I won't be surprised if they restrict machines for the King contest this weekend just to avoid lots of guys getting stuck out there. Plenty of ice but just lousy conditions on the top. Don't shoot the messenger so just go check it for yourself.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Swinging Bridge on Saturday and it was not too terrible walking around. Mix of frozen crust, snow and snow over slush. A few other groups/guys were out. Walked out to the flats and set up from ten to about 25 fow. Had steady action the entire day (9am to 6 pm) on tip-ups and jigging, lost something big on the jig pole otherwise it was all white perch.

How long have white perch been in this lake? I used to ice-fish it pretty hard about four or 5 years ago and never caught one before. Read that they feed heavily on other fishes eggs, particularly perch and walleye. Is it possible the white perch have something to do with the decline in walleye? Also are they any good to eat?

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Were they perch or hybrid bass i have seen them right down the road in reo reservoir

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.