Author Topic: Anybody got Ice?!?!  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Anybody got Ice?!?!
« on: Oct 25, 2003, 01:23 PM »
We have Ice way up north!  After 3 weeks of below freezing temps. We finally have ice on the smaller lakes around the local Fairbanks area. ;D  It's only 1/2-2 1/2" but it's solid and beautiful!  Gotta give you folks some grief, seeing the tropical climate most of you are injoying in the lower 48. :(  Should be posting pictures hopefully by next weekend if the weather stays the same.  Fish on! ;D ;D ;D  Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:Anybody got Ice?!?!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2003, 05:31 PM »
VEEEERRY funny... :P ;D  All I got is 1/4" in the kiddy pool on the deck. Probably another month for me here in NW VT.

bohica

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2003, 06:15 PM »
You sure are making a lot of us weak kneed, if you know what I mean. Here in NE Pa, the dog`s dish froze over a few times and I got excited. Guess we just gotta wait some more. Please don`t forget the pictures.   bohica

mngonefishing

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2003, 10:58 PM »
Barleydog, how long have you lived in AK. I was stationed there in 93-94. army.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2003, 06:56 PM »
Got an inch on my favorite (moose calling) beaver pond 2 weeks ago when hunting. Had to give it a try at the edge. KEEERRR SPLOOOSH & got the boots wet. Next day went back and it was gone. Have not been up to my mountain lake as takes a bit to get in there. I'm sure it has a couple of inches but I have to help buddies fill their moose tags first, then I'm off to Ontario deer hunting. I know when I get back I'm on the solid ice. I live in northern B.C. and I must say it is nice getting a 6 month ice season.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2003, 09:14 PM »
Mngonefishin, Lived here in "Interior Alaska" for two years.  Can't say I really injoy the end of summer the second week of August and the end of fall the second week of September, but it's an ice fishermen's haven because of the early ice.  Where were you stationed?  
Esox, May have to talk to the state and have that kiddy pool stocked! :P
The lakes I fish had some folks on them today!  It was about 3" and makin' more with the temp around 22.  I still like about 5" under my feet!  Sooo it pays to sit this weekend out and watch the games on the tube.  Next Saturday fresh Rainbow and Char will be for dinner! (I HOPE) ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2003, 06:56 PM »
Barley you sure are making us jealous!! :( Anyway did you have any luck up that way?
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2003, 07:35 PM »
We had snow last Friday, and this Friday they're calling for 72 degrees!  Life in Central NY is going backwards.  I've always said the taxes were going to run me out, but if the weatherman keeps this crap up, he'll be the one that makes me go. 8)
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2003, 11:14 PM »
Shwung79- Not yet!  I am heading out on Saturday for my "opener".  3" on Saturday and by this coming Saturday, it should be about 5 or 6"!!!!  HAPPY DAYS!  Funny thing is, it's been rather warm here this year ???  
TEAM ALASKA

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2003, 03:15 AM »
Just got out today boys for my first ice trip. Moose tags were all filled so took the quad up the mountain this afternoon. 3 inches of ice. Fished in 10 ft of h2o and caught 5 rainbows from 1-3lbs. Man they are going to be good in the smoker tomorrow. ;D
It felt good. ;) Don't worry folks, your day or days will come ;)

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2003, 10:47 AM »
Just got out today boys for my first ice trip. Moose tags were all filled so took the quad up the mountain this afternoon. 3 inches of ice. Fished in 10 ft of h2o and caught 5 rainbows from 1-3lbs. Man they are going to be good in the smoker tomorrow. ;D
It felt good. ;) Don't worry folks, your day or days will come ;)

good to hear Terry. I hear they found a body up near you. You didn't find it did you?

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2003, 10:25 PM »
Vancouvercanuck, that pic is going to melt any ice that does form :o, LOL!  ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2003, 08:22 AM »
Well good luck Saturday Barley!!!  Keep us down south updated on how the icefishing is doing up there!! :( :-[ :'( :'( :'(
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2003, 07:15 PM »
Yes Vancouvercanuck they did find a couple of remains up this way. One was more of an archeological find but the other one is apparently a male but that is the only details that they are letting out so far.
Was fishing 1 1/2 yrs ago watching how fish reacted to my bait on the aqua-vu prior to fishing derby. Next day they discovered a body 50 yards from where I was fishing. Kind of gave me the creeps.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2003, 07:13 PM »
Only ICE we got here in CNY is in the cooler to keep the walleyes from rotten out, I mean what the heck its 7pm. with 67f temps here and were burnin up.
Terrygonefishing that IS Creepy.
Crappieloo
Wayne C.O. N.Y. :)

mngonefishing

« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2003, 12:24 AM »
Barleydog, so how go's the hard H2O. the only thing we had here is some very light snow that didnt say. My dog's dish froze ;D but that was about it.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2003, 11:22 AM »
The temps up here in northern Alberta are have been in the -20C range over the past three nights.  Daytime temps have only gone up to -5C for the past three days.  The big lake the town is situated, on has really started to freeze over.  Hope to be out perch & pike fishing within the week!!!  I will wait for the commercial fishermen to venture out on the ice before I get the cahonies to do the same!!!  COMEON ICE!!!!!!!!!

mngonefishing

« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2003, 02:36 PM »
we now have some snow on the ground. hope this doesnt all melt away. there is ice on some small lakes, granted just on the very edge.  ;D cant wait.

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2003, 02:55 PM »
It appears Barleydog that the warm spell you had a few weeks ago has drifted east. Been in the 70s by day. and the 60s by night here in Western Pa. Any chance you might cut loose a cold snap for us poor easterners? (If my wife knew i was hoping for cold weather my butt would be in a sling).  ;)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2003, 09:50 PM »
MNGF,  No fishing this week, leary about the ice!  We have had 32+ degree weather all week. >:(  Hey where did you live in AK?
Oldspa, you can keep that warm stuff, until Feb.!  Then send it back up here!  
Bushbunny, What are the commercial guys targeting down there?  Pike?  Walleye?  Does it effect the fishing much?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2003, 12:43 PM »
They would be after Whitefish Barleydog....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.