Author Topic: LAKE WPG. NORTH BASIN  (Read 10135 times)

Offline MATHESAN ISLAND MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
LAKE WPG. NORTH BASIN
« on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:26 PM »
I FISHED SOUTH BASIN ,FROM MATLOCK TO BECONIA...1200 VEHICLES
I FISH NORTH BASIN THE LAST TWO YEARS AND OTHER THAN THE DIRBY
MAYBE 2 FISHERMAN! LOTS OF FISH ALL SPECIES.......WHERE ARE  ALL YOU FISHERMAN?
CAN CATCH RIGHT ON THE WINTER ROAD, OR ENDLESS CHOICE PLACES WITH SKI-DOO
LOTS OF SAND BEACHES FOR PICKERAL , NICE BIG MARSH FOR THOSE BIG NORTHERNS
WINTER AND SUMMER...MAYBE IT'S JUST TOO REMOTE FOR YOU GUYS...

Offline dwildwil

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE WPG. NORTH BASIN
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Hi MIM we are going up there Wednesday for Whitefish, as We talked about. Can you please give us some good tips on catching big Whitefish, we do not have a snowmobile, but willing to walk. If the catching is good we will post a great report on my favourite fishing forum and the fishers will come big time. In fact if we do good on Wednesday/ Thursday, a group will probably come Saturday and this will just be the beginning.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:29 PM »
JUST AS YOU START DRIVING ON THE ICE ROAD, 200 TO 300 YARDS
OUT, ABOUT 17 FEET OF WATER, THERE'S  THE CURRANT FLOW. TRY SMALL PIECES
OF SHRIMP ON A #3 OR #4 HOOK. DON'T USE THAT SIZE HOOK IF YOU WANT TO RELEASE THEM
BECAUSE THEY SWALLOW IT DEEP. EASIER TO PULL IT OUT THE OTHER END HA HA
LARGE FLAKE OATMEAL ON THOSE HOOKS ABOUT 4-5 PIECES WORK WELL TOO. GETTING IN THE FLOW
IS VERY IMPORTANT. YOUR FLASHER SHOULD SHOW WITHIN 10 MIN. OR YOU'RE NOT IN THE FLOW.
HAMMER TIME FOR YOU!

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:22 AM »
I FISHED SOUTH BASIN ,FROM MATLOCK TO BECONIA...1200 VEHICLES
I FISH NORTH BASIN THE LAST TWO YEARS AND OTHER THAN THE DIRBY
MAYBE 2 FISHERMAN! LOTS OF FISH ALL SPECIES.......WHERE ARE  ALL YOU FISHERMAN?
CAN CATCH RIGHT ON THE WINTER ROAD, OR ENDLESS CHOICE PLACES WITH SKI-DOO
LOTS OF SAND BEACHES FOR PICKERAL , NICE BIG MARSH FOR THOSE BIG NORTHERNS
WINTER AND SUMMER...MAYBE IT'S JUST TOO REMOTE FOR YOU GUYS...
Is there a place to stay up there?
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:45 AM »
YES THERE ARE .
CALL: 204-955-1205
DON'T LEAVE A MESSAGE

Offline Igloodwellingicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:44 AM »
How's the Pickerel action......

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:17 PM »
LOTS OF MASTER  PICKERAL .  LAKE IS 80 MILES WIDE X 275 LONG ACCORDING TO LOCALS
 120 FEET DEEP IN SOME SPOTS.  BLOODVEIN RIVER FLOWS INTO THE  LAKE CLOSE BY.
IT'S FED BY RED LAKE ONTARIO, WHICH HAS LAKE TROUT.
I CAUGHT CRAPPIES IN THE BLOODVEIN RIVER WHICH HAS  ROAD ACCESS RIGHT NOW.
SHOULD BE STURGEON AND MONSTER CATS IN THAT BIG HOLE.
NEED SKI-DOO FOR THOSE LUXSURY SPOTS. THE FISH UP HERE TASTE DIFFERENT THAN SOUTH BASIN.
FIRMER AND MILDER FLAVOR, MAYBE DUE TO LAKE SIZE, DEPTH, AND COLDER WATERS.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:56 PM »
So you're saying that the Channel area and the North Basin have colder water than the ice covered South Basin.  Hmmmm.  Yes the water is clearer and deeper.  Lots more structure too.  Most definitely untapped with respect to angling opportunity.  Someday the people who make a living off LW will realize or admit that the recreational fishery/generates more income, more jobs and much less work than commercial fishing.  It's not the anglers' faults that nobody ventures north of Riverton or Pine Falls to fish recreationally.  The area locals are the ones who have to make it public.  They have to start accepting "outsiders" instead of driving them away.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:59 PM »
So you're saying that the Channel area and the North Basin have colder water than the ice covered South Basin.  Hmmmm.  Yes the water is clearer and deeper.  Lots more structure too.  Most definitely untapped with respect to angling opportunity.  Someday the people who make a living off LW will realize or admit that the recreational fishery/generates more income, more jobs and much less work than commercial fishing.  It's not the anglers' faults that nobody ventures north of Riverton or Pine Falls to fish recreationally.  The area locals are the ones who have to make it public.  They have to start accepting "outsiders" instead of driving them away.

very well said @)

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:26 PM »
120 FEET OR 12 FEET, WHICH IS COLDER?
GRADE 1
I HAVE HAD NO SUCH NEGATIVE INTERATIONS WITH ANY OF THE LOCALS.
ONLY POSITIVE SUPPORT, AND  HELP.
HAVE ONLY BEEN HERE FOR TWO YEARS, AND LOVE IT.

Offline Mr. Incredible

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:42 PM »
in my opinion there are more negative attitudes he south than in the north I have bin going to mathison island for ten years now and the locals are very welcoming.there is non of this he is fishing to close to me going on up there not like at chalet beach

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:47 PM »
12 ft or 120 ft which is colder, grade 1 math? Trick question. Colder, to a point; it is due to water density changes.

Water is most dense at 4 degC. Water at that temperature will be the heaviest and be found at the bottom of the water column. That is also why ice floats, the crystalline structure makes the frozen water less dense so it floats. Water at temperatures between 4degC and 0 degC, and higher than 4 degC will be found higher in the water column due to their lower density.

So basically, it could be 1000ft and deeper doesn't necessary mean colder. Deep lakes freeze later do to the shear volume of water. It has very little to do with depth. Thawing on the other hand has more to do with depth and current.

And yeah before you accuse me of stealing all this info from the Internet. I admit it I i did. Not because I didn't know the answer, but  because I wanted to prove myself right first.  ;D

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2013, 09:33 PM »
...MAYBE IT'S JUST TOO REMOTE FOR YOU GUYS...

I've been there but that ^^ pretty much sums it up for me at least as a one day every weekend sort of place.  I try and get out every weekend at least once, so a day trip for me ends at max 5 hours there and back and still be home to tuck the little ones into bed.

there is non of this he is fishing to close to me going on up there not like at chalet beach

I won't argue about negative attitudes thing but as for fishing too close, it's hard to lockport any one up there b/c first you have to be within 24km to even see them. A little tongue in cheek but on a nice day you'd be hardpressed to convince me there is even 1/10th the amount of people versus Chalet and area.   

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2013, 06:11 AM »
GATOR-THERMALCLINE

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I don't need any lessons on limnology...been in the business for over 30 years.  If you want to talk summer temps then by all means, but winter temps; nada.  oldccm described it well.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2013, 12:00 PM »
I've been there but that ^^ pretty much sums it up for me at least as a one day every weekend sort of place.  I try and get out every weekend at least once, so a day trip for me ends at max 5 hours there and back and still be home to tuck the little ones into bed.

I won't argue about negative attitudes thing but as for fishing too close, it's hard to lockport any one up there b/c first you have to be within 24km to even see them. A little tongue in cheek but on a nice day you'd be hardpressed to convince me there is even 1/10th the amount of people versus Chalet and area.

I dive oligotrophic lakes in NW Ontario regularly. Ocationally do a bump dive to 120 feet or so. Dive computer shows summer temperatures at those depths to be in the range of 40-42 degrees F. I would bet the water temperature at those depths would be pretty constant throughout the year.

FF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2013, 03:13 PM »
 COOL FF
 I GUESS THATS WHY THE WHITE FISH THRIVE UP THERE IN THE  NORTH BASIN
 THE WHITE FISH IN ONTARIO, IN CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER, TASTE AND SMELL THE SAME AS LW NORTH BASIN.
 WE DID A COMPARIBLE TASTE TEST, NO ONE COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE. I THOUGHT FOR SURE THERE WOULD
 BE A DIFFERENCE ACCORDING TO THE COLOR OF WATER, BUT NOT. 

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Thanks for the info MIM.... I have always wanted to explore the north basin, your posts are giving me the nudge to do it. Thanks again.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:39 PM »
COOL FF
 I GUESS THATS WHY THE WHITE FISH THRIVE UP THERE IN THE  NORTH BASIN
 THE WHITE FISH IN ONTARIO, IN CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER, TASTE AND SMELL THE SAME AS LW NORTH BASIN.
 WE DID A COMPARIBLE TASTE TEST, NO ONE COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE. I THOUGHT FOR SURE THERE WOULD
 BE A DIFFERENCE ACCORDING TO THE COLOR OF WATER, BUT NOT.
Don't want to stir the pot here but IMHO L. Winnipeg whites are more tasty and less oily than those from LOTW and Shoal that are now feeding extensively smelts. But LW whites don't average 5 pounds.

FF 

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2013, 06:34 PM »
FF  YOU SEEM TO BE A VERY INTERESTING GUY, KNOWLEDGABLE AND LOVES FISHING
ALL THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE HA HA .  NOW CAN YOU SMOKE WHITE FISH?
CUZ THATS MY SPEACILTY... P.S AND WE ARE ALL  ENTITLED TO OUR OPINIONS.
AGAIN THANK YOU ICE SHANTY FOR THIS SITE

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Well if smoking whitefish is your specialty... You and greyhound will soon be my new best friends!

Offline back2backcrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2013, 08:52 PM »
What's the average size whitefish up there?
In Shoal Lake Ontario the whitefish we were catching were anywhere from 16 to 21 inches with quite a few over 21.
There's been a decline in Ontario but a few years back it was not uncommon to get 50 to 100 whitefsh in one day in our group.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2013, 09:47 PM »
I'll have hard time believing that whitefish anywhere are feeding on smelt.  Unless there's a specie that has a mouth like a walleye or pike, they're eating much smaller critters than smelt.

The real NORTH BASIN, not where MIM refers to, is full of 4 to 6 pound whites.  That's what originally put Lake Winnipeg on the commercial fishing map. Not walleye or goldeye for that matter.

But if you really, really want to catch monster whites then crack the Cedar Lake code.  I'm talking about 7 - 8 pounders!  Freakin tanks!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:58 PM »
FF  YOU SEEM TO BE A VERY INTERESTING GUY, KNOWLEDGABLE AND LOVES FISHING
ALL THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE HA HA .  NOW CAN YOU SMOKE WHITE FISH?
CUZ THATS MY SPEACILTY... P.S AND WE ARE ALL  ENTITLED TO OUR OPINIONS.
AGAIN THANK YOU ICE SHANTY FOR THIS SITE

Try smoking whitefish fillets. Scale and fillet as you would a walleye but leave the skin on. Remove ribs and pin bones by "butterflying". Skin will hold fillet together. Rub in a good amount of pickling salt and brown sugar into the meat, sprinkle with cracked black pepper and Mrs. Dash seasoning. Place on a stainless pan/ceramic dish and refrigerate ovenight...salt and sugar will make it's own brine. Hot smoke for ~3 hours next day. Boneless smoked whitefish second to none.

FF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2013, 06:00 AM »
I'll have hard time believing that whitefish anywhere are feeding on smelt.  Unless there's a specie that has a mouth like a walleye or pike, they're eating much smaller critters than smelt.

The real NORTH BASIN, not where MIM refers to, is full of 4 to 6 pound whites.  That's what originally put Lake Winnipeg on the commercial fishing map. Not walleye or goldeye for that matter.

But if you really, really want to catch monster whites then crack the Cedar Lake code.  I'm talking about 7 - 8 pounders!  Freakin tanks!
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOUR NORTH BASIN IS? THAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!
 IF YOUR NORTH BASIN IS DIFFERENT FROM MINE.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Try smoking whitefish fillets. Scale and fillet as you would a walleye but leave the skin on. Remove ribs and pin bones by "butterflying". Skin will hold fillet together. Rub in a good amount of pickling salt and brown sugar into the meat, sprinkle with cracked black pepper and Mrs. Dash seasoning. Place on a stainless pan/ceramic dish and refrigerate ovenight...salt and sugar will make it's own brine. Hot smoke for ~3 hours next day. Boneless smoked whitefish second to none.

FF
YOUR RECIPE IS VERY CLOSE TO MINE, RE: WHITEFISH.

TRY THIS BACKSTRAP MIRIAH CANDY...RECIPE FOR 15LBS. FISH
3 CUPS DARK BROWN SUGAR
1 CUP PICKLING SALT...RUB ON FISH
REFRIDGERATE FOR 16 HOURS.
RINSE
SMOKE AT 160 DEGREES FOR 3 HOURS SKIN SIDE DOWN , THEN 220 DEGREES
FOR 2 HOURS, YOU WILL NEVER RELEASE ANOTHER.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:06 AM »
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOUR NORTH BASIN IS? THAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!
 IF YOUR NORTH BASIN IS DIFFERENT FROM MINE.
I would consider THE north basin as north of a line from Beren's River to McBeth Point and the south end of Sturgeon Bay.  Matheson Island area is still considered part of the Channel area to my knowledge.  Maybe not on paper but there are definite differences in geography, depth and water.

Offline bootsie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:15 AM »
OK - enough - now you folks are making me hungry!  great notes on the smoking - would really appreciate if you can explain/show the butterfly method to remove bones - we have always left them whole - but its a bit of a pain with the kids - to be careful with the bones.

Now speaking of fish - we regularly use Ciscos/tulibee to make something really close to pickled herring- if anyone wants the recipe - let me know its pretty simple.

Thanks all.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:59 AM »
I would consider THE north basin as north of a line from Beren's River to McBeth Point and the south end of Sturgeon Bay.  Matheson Island area is still considered part of the Channel area to my knowledge.  Maybe not on paper but there are definite differences in geography, depth and water.

The north basin of L Winnipeg is quite different from the south. I can recall some depths of 114 feet and have even seen lake trout taken in nets north of Grand Rapids between Selkirk Island and Limestone bay. The trout were in poor shape IMO though. Likely averages about 40 feet though. Further, out in the centre of the north basin the water is a beautiful dark emerald green...or it used to be back in the 1980's. I worked one summer on a fisheries patrol boat called the "Siggy Oliver". Been all around and across the north basin many times. Got hit by a few real bad storms as well. Don't know what ever happened to that vessel...likely a casualty of endless government budget cuts :(.

FF 

Offline Wendigo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2013, 06:18 PM »
The north basin of L Winnipeg is quite different from the south. I can recall some depths of 114 feet and have even seen lake trout taken in nets north of Grand Rapids between Selkirk Island and Limestone bay. The trout were in poor shape IMO though. Likely averages about 40 feet though. Further, out in the centre of the north basin the water is a beautiful dark emerald green...or it used to be back in the 1980's. I worked one summer on a fisheries patrol boat called the "Siggy Oliver". Been all around and across the north basin many times. Got hit by a few real bad storms as well. Don't know what ever happened to that vessel...likely a casualty of endless government budget cuts :(.

FF

Heard that their  are sandy beaches nicer than Grand. People don't realize that this is the 12th largest freshwater lake in the world and is 30% larger than Lake Ontario and almost as big as Lake Erie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.