Author Topic: 10th Annual Falcon Lake Winter Fish-Off - March 16, 2013  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
It’s that time of the year again! The 10th Annual Falcon Lake Winter Fish-Off is being held on Saturday March 16, 2013 from 11:00am - 2:00pm. As always, all the prizes are guaranteed and the holes are pre-drilled! Catch the heaviest fish and you're guaranteed to win $10,000 CASH! Prizes are awarded down to 50th place and we have over $40,000 in cash & prizes!

We wanted to do something BIG to celebrate our 10th anniversary, so we are also introducing our $50,000 Hidden Weight Contest! Simply catch one of the first 120 fish and you’re automatically entered into the contest! If your fish matches our hidden weight, you win $50,000!

The full prize list can be viewed here on the website. Just for a peak, here is the top 10 of the 50 total prizes!

1. $10,000 CASH
2. CANADA ONE TRAVEL TRIP FOR 2 PLUS $1000 TRAVEL CREDIT - UP TO $3500
- Anywhere in Canada that WestJet flies, or
- Anywhere in the Lower 48 United States Delta Airlines flies
 3. 60" 3D LG PLASMA 1080P HDTV - $2500
- Onkyo 5.1 660 Watt Theatre System
4. ULTIMATE ICE FISHING PACKAGE - $2400
- Frabill Guardian 3 Man Flip-Over Ice Shelter
- Vexilar FL-22HD Tri-Beam Ultra Pack Flasher
- Strikemaster Lazer Mag Power Auger, & MUCH MORE!
5. TOOL SET PACKAGE - $1500
6. VEXILAR PACKAGE - $1000
- Vexilar FL-22HD Tri-Beam Ultra Pack Flasher
- Vexilar Cold-Snap Suit, & MUCH MORE!
7. FRABILL PACKAGE - $850
- Frabill Headquarters 6 Person Ice Shelter
- Frabill Suit, & MUCH MORE!
8. SHIMANO ULTIMATE RODS & REELS PACKAGE - $800
9. BUSHNELL PACKAGE - $650
10. STRIKEMASTER LAZER PRO POWER AUGER - $550

Early Bird Tickets are still just $50 before March 6, and $70 afterward. Buying an Early Bird ticket enters you in a draw for $1000 cash, 64GB Apple iPad Mini, or a Frabill Headquarters 6-person ice shack. We still have our discounted Second Hole Ticket and Children's Ticket, both available for $30. If you purchase your Second Hole Ticket before March 7th, you receive a second entry into the Early Bird Draw!

We are also running a couple of contests to win some tickets for next year’s derby! The first way is to sign up to receive our e-flyer! Just visit the website, click the link and enter the information to be entered into the draw! The second way is to LIKE us on Facebook! Simply visit our Facebook fan page and LIKE us for an entry into the draw. Also, every time you SHARE any contest we post on the page, you receive an additional entry. The more you share, the better your chances of winning!

Once again, Danny’s Whole Hog will be handling all the food/drinks on the ice. They deliver tons of amazing food and short lines so come hungry! We have some new ticket vendors this year stretching all the way out to Vermilion Bay, so please check our website here to see the closest vendor to you as some vendors have changed!

Tickets are now available at all 11 locations mentioned on the website, by mail, or by calling 1-866-676-FISH!

The full prize list, rules, whats new for 2013, and ticket locations are available at http://www.winterfishoff.com .

Please contact me at (204) 918-8403 or toll-free 1-866-676-FISH if you have any questions! Hope to see you there!

Andrew Klassen

Offline tokr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 10th Annual Falcon Lake Winter Fish-Off - March 16, 2013
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Great Derby. Good time. Good food.

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Thanks tokr, hope to see you out there!

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:48 AM »
Just a friendly reminder to visit www.winterfishoff.com and register to receive our e-flyer! This enters you into a draw to win tickets to the derby!

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:23 PM »
 ;D
Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:06 PM »
cant wait for this!!

Offline Hooks 009

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:30 AM »
I have yet to attend an ice derby!  I am really excited to get out there this year.  A couple questions for you guys:
1.  Is it better to buy tix from a tackle shop or mail in the reg form?
2.  How much gear does everybody bring?  Just buckets or sleds too?

I guess any other imperitive info will be given at the derby but, any pointers would be greatly appreciated,  Thanks!

Hooks
Khan: “You have this nasty habit of surviving.”
Bond: “You know what they say about the fittest.”

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:08 AM »
any pointers would be greatly appreciated,  Thanks!

Catch the biggest fish ;D

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:03 AM »
I have yet to attend an ice derby!  I am really excited to get out there this year.  A couple questions for you guys:
1.  Is it better to buy tix from a tackle shop or mail in the reg form?
2.  How much gear does everybody bring?  Just buckets or sleds too?

I guess any other imperitive info will be given at the derby but, any pointers would be greatly appreciated,  Thanks!

Hooks
Bring slip on ice cleats for your boots.  I went in 2010 and there was warm weather before the derby.  Then it froze just before the derby making the lake like a skating rink. If you need them you got them.  If you don't have them and need them, your screwed!  I got them on a tip from Ryan and glad I got them.
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Hope the weather nice this day, but to nice that cancels it lol..

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Sorry for the late response Hooks, been out on the road getting tickets and flyers everywhere they need to be! Most people buy their tickets at the ticket vendors/tackle shops simply out of convenience, however we also sell quite a few over the phone. Not too many still mail in their entry forms, but there are still some that do so it is entirely up to you. Purchasing your ticket at a vendor allows you to have your ticket immediately, rather than waiting a couple days for the mail to arrive.
Some guys bring almost no gear and others bring a small tackle shop worth! Personally, I recommend staying light and mobile. Everybody needs a bucket or small cooler to bring fish to the weigh tent, so throw some rods or tip ups in the bucket and away you go. Sleds are a good option if you like to pack heavy though!

Cleats were definitely needed last year with the warm weather and early melt. The temperature hit +24 last year during the derby which made for some incredible weather, but slippery ice. Most years we have adequate snow coverage that gives everybody plenty of traction, and I have a feeling this will be one of those years. There is lots of snow and good ice out at Falcon, and this warm weather has been compacting the snow nicely.

We've never had a cancellation yet, and we don't intend to start now! A great day of +2 or 3 and no wind is ideal. Fishing has been steady and it's only going to improve by the time March rolls around!!

Andrew

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Forgot to mention but just a reminder that you have 3 weeks left to get your early bird tickets for just $50! Not only do you save $20 off the regular price, but you are entered into the early bird prize draw to win $1000 cash, an Apple 64GB iPad Mini, or a Frabill Headquarters 6-person ice shack!

Tickets are available at all our ticket vendors or by calling toll-free 1-866-676-FISH!

Andrew

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:18 AM »
its getting closer and closer all i want for Christmas is to win this...lol no jokes this event is AWESOME

COME OUT PEOPLE AND WITNESS IT FOR YOURSELF.. WENT TO A FEW DERBIES IN THE PAST AND WILL NEVER MISS THIS ONE...amazing scenery..

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Thanks Mikey! Lots of fish and lots of prizes... can't beat that!

Andrew

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Hey Andrew

Want to bring my two boys aged 6.  If I bring a pop up, case they get cold, are the holes drilled so 3 can fish from inside a shack?
Also my bday is that Sunday so thx for holding this event so close to that as I hope to make this an annual tradition with my boys.  Not sure if much fishing will be done as they would probably want to investigate what others are up to.  Looking forward to it.

Thx
John

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Hey Andrew

Want to bring my two boys aged 6.  If I bring a pop up, case they get cold, are the holes drilled so 3 can fish from inside a shack?
Also my bday is that Sunday so thx for holding this event so close to that as I hope to make this an annual tradition with my boys.  Not sure if much fishing will be done as they would probably want to investigate what others are up to.  Looking forward to it.

Thx
John

Holes are drilled 20 feet apart.

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, I've been on the road quite a bit lately getting tickets and flyers out there. Looks like Dr. Funk beat me to it. We decided years ago to just stick with the grid and not drill extra holes for shacks because with so many anglers out there, it quickly monopolizes time with the amount of anglers that then want their own holes drilled as well. Also, the distance helps ensure that when one of the larger pike is caught, that it is not wrapping up other lines that could cause problems with the fish being landed.

Honestly there is just as much socializing as there is fishing in most years. Everybody runs into friends they haven't seen in a while and watches what other anglers are doing and using. Definitely a good place to pick up some great tips and tricks! Thanks for coming out and good luck!

The weather is looking great and the snow is compacting nicely with this warm sun we've been getting. By the time the derby rolls around, things should be perfect and there will be a lot of hungry fish cruising around!

Andrew

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:26 PM »
I should mention as well that one week today is the deadline for the Early Bird Tickets! Pay only $50 instead of $70 and be entered into the prize draw to win $1000 cash, a 64GB Apple iPad Mini, or a Frabill Headquarters ice shelter! Tickets are available at all our ticket vendors or you can purchase over the phone at 1-866-676-FISH! I will be at the Boat Show for the next 4 days so if you're at the Convention Center, stop by and pick them up in person!

Andrew

Offline Crimson Night

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:16 PM »
I want to take my younger brother to the derby but according to the rules it says that "Competitors must be a minimum of 18 years of age unless they have a parent or guardian fishing with them." My parents don't fish but is it possible for my brother to come? He is 11, I am 18.

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I want to take my younger brother to the derby but according to the rules it says that "Competitors must be a minimum of 18 years of age unless they have a parent or guardian fishing with them." My parents don't fish but is it possible for my brother to come? He is 11, I am 18.

I believe that would classify you as his guardian.

Offline chinner546

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2013, 12:21 AM »
This is going to be my frist year at the derby.i know fishing starts at 11 but whats a good time to be at the grounds ?

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:13 AM »
This is going to be my frist year at the derby.i know fishing starts at 11 but whats a good time to be at the grounds ?

Depends on which holes you would like.

If you want the perimiter then around 6-7 am would be a good time.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:57 PM »
EARLY................And if you want to run like hell to a prime hole remember to wear your ice cleats if there's little snow cover.

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:45 PM »
Crimson, Dr. Funk is correct. You would qualify as his guardian so no problem!

Chinner, if you have a particular area of the lake in mind that you are really hoping to have a prime hole in, then arrive around 6-6:30. The earliest anglers are usually in line before 5:00 (same group every year!), but most show up between 7-8:00.

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:29 AM »
The Early Bird date is finally here! TODAY is your last chance to pick up your tickets at the early bird price! Tomorrow the price of an adult ticket goes up to $70 so save a bit of money and buy it today! The toll-free number 1-866-676-FISH will be open all day and night so as long as you call before midnight you will get the cheaper ticket and be entered into the draw!

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Are electronics like cameras and flashers allowed?

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Are electronics like cameras and flashers allowed?

Yes they are.

Offline hunter-of-lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2013, 11:58 AM »
How do we transport fish caught to the weight in spot..  If we use pails, say the fish is 40" long , what would be the safeest way?For the fish

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2013, 03:56 PM »
How do we transport fish caught to the weight in spot..  If we use pails, say the fish is 40" long , what would be the safeest way?For the fish

A Cooler.

Offline Andrew Klassen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Dr. Funk, you keep beating me to it! Much appreciated!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.