Author Topic: George Lake,lake trout.  (Read 4193 times)

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: George Lake,lake trout.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:49 PM »
Like fishcamp said you can cross the Winnipeg river at pointe which is where I've crossed in past but was still nervous in doing so on cold years! The trail from nutimik is easily done on sled as well, there was a guy in front of us in morning on sled and sleds came out after us as well. On way out we hit slush in few spots on lake that weren't there in morning

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Thanks Fish Camp and HighlandGlen! I'll have to run this by everyone else and if all goes according to plan I'll be catching trout within two weeks haha. Haven't gone since I was 12.

Offline fisherman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:08 PM »
both of those lakes are considered stocked lakes and you can only keep one.  your limit is your possesion

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:07 PM »
You just might see me out there.If you see a red Polaris quad on the ice covered in gear,say hi.

Offline TheEyeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:37 PM »
i would have felt alot more comfortable on a sled once we got to the lake, lots more power going through the slush, i don't like to hit slush at any time but if i do i would rather be able to do 100 mph through it on a sled then 20 mph on a quad.  my quad has been in garage for 2 days and still got ice on it!  but catching those lakers was worth everything and i wanna give a shout out to the guys that kicked us out of their spot and sent us to another one.  Thanks guys!!!!  it was a good move!

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:23 PM »
Will do if I see you out there flat liner.
TheEyeSlayer, some guys literally asked you to leave somewhere they wanted to fish? I've never had that happen before... Sounds like it worked out for you though in the end. Haha sweet justice.
I was in a boat this summer (don't remember the lake), jigging with my father-in-law. Some guy in really decked out bass boat worth about a years salary came into the area we were fishing and started to troll very close by to us when he did a loop and headed directly towards us. He then turned off the motor and while slowly drifting said "aren't you guys going to move?". We said no and tried to explain very politely that it was a huge lake and it was easier for him to go around us than it was for us to pull up and anchor and then a motor just so that he could fish directly over where we were fishing. He didn't agree, got real mad and then as he finally passed us turned on his Merc and tried to hose us down by raising the prop or something. Didn't work too well which seemed to really make him made and then be bolted off.
It was the closest I've ever been to having someone ask for the spot I was fishing. I kept wondering if there was some sort of fishing etiquette I missed there but I think he was just looking for trouble or something.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:49 AM »
All I would say to any a%$ like that is, you snooze,you loose buddy.If I drilled in the same spot he drilled days before then that was the day I snoozed,but not today.

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:53 AM »
I dunno.... there's so little water in Manitoba though....  ::) lol.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:00 PM »
It wasn't at all liked he kicked us out! We set up right by a permanent shack thinking maybe fish there not knowing if the owner would be there or not. He ended up coming shortly after we got set up. I asked him if he'd like us to move and he laughed and said kinda lol. I don't like being lockported so I had no problem moving, he told us a spot to try and we did he actually came by later in day to see how we made out. I think eyeslayer should stick to stealing my holes instead of telling half truths on here! ;D

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2012, 02:05 PM »
It wasn't at all liked he kicked us out! We set up right by a permanent shack thinking maybe fish there not knowing if the owner would be there or not. He ended up coming shortly after we got set up. I asked him if he'd like us to move and he laughed and said kinda lol. I don't like being lockported so I had no problem moving, he told us a spot to try and we did he actually came by later in day to see how we made out. I think eyeslayer should stick to stealing my holes instead of telling half truths on here! ;D

Someone "Lockported" you on George Lake?

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2012, 02:14 PM »
No we set up beside the guys permie not knowing if he was coming out, so we kinda lockported him! That's why I had no problems moving when he came.

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Just had a thought as I was sitting here tonight but what test line/leader do you guys like to fish when you're on George? I have yet to spool up to go out there and everything I've read about people fishing lake trout ranges from 2-40 lb test! I figure I will spool up based on popular opinion of those who've fished the lake I want to fish on haha.

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Looks like you guys had a very good outing HGG. I'm intrigued to get in there in the future for some lakers through the ice. I have only been there once for a weekend in summer about 20 years ago. We stayed in an old log cabin with a stone foundation that is on an island with a friend of my dads. We caught a few fish by trolling in deeper water with silver spoons on leaders weighted down with large lead egg type sinkers - almost could not even tell when  a 3lb trout was hooked.

just need a quad :)

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Very glad to see you had a great trip out HGG.  Next time.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:26 PM »
AT3, when i was out in Kenora a couple weeks ago I used 30 pound invisabraid spider wire, it is in 8 pound mono diameter. It didn't have memory but it did seem to stick to the spool. had no problem setting the hook hard it a 5 pound laker.

Offline TheEyeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:39 PM »
No we set up beside the guys permie not knowing if he was coming out, so we kinda lockported him! That's why I had no problems moving when he came.

Ok let me rephrase that most of the guys were good about it, one guy was kinda pissed about it!  The one guy that was good about it told us another spot to try, so we did and it payed off for us, he even came to check on us a few hours later to see how we were doing.

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:54 PM »
I have 2 laker rods a spinning one with 8lb and my heavy baitcaster with 12 lb both my rods I handmade and love but are a bit longer and perfect for setting the hook in deeP water
I have used 6lb before as well but for George lake 8 or 10 should be more than enough because most fish only reach about 5lbs at but you do get the odd bigger one
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 18, 2012, 12:53 AM »
Thanks lostman and flatliner!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.