Author Topic: George Lake,lake trout.  (Read 4194 times)

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
George Lake,lake trout.
« on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:55 PM »
I was out in Kenora fishing for lake trout,had a great shore lunch and am hooked now on trout.
I was told that George Lake has trout.Do any of you guys fish there for trout and if you do how is it and how deap are you fishing in.We were catching them around the 3-4 pound range with a cuople big ones,one was almost 8 pounds.What size do you catch in George.

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
Re: George Lake,lake trout.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Last year I fished from 50-80" of water and caught Plenty
Most are around 3-5 pounds the odd 6+ is caught now and then and the odd whitefish
Caught all mine on a white tube and a clacking rap last year
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:09 AM »
Hey Lostman,
Didn't you give me advice on what to use before I went to Kenora,well it worked.We fished out there on Red Deer Lake and Wonderland Lake and they were both okay.The evening bite did seem to be better.Most of us got at least 4 in the 2 days we fished.I used the tub jig that you suggested,if it was you.One other guy used a spoon with a minnow.
I am going to have to look at some maps for George Lake and see if I can find any trout out there.It must be fairly big,when you go which direction do you go,N,S,E,W,if you don't mind giving directions. Thanks.

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:17 AM »
i heard the north part of the lake is where alot of guys fish
Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:05 AM »
South end has trout as well but is shallower and a flasher is important. I would love to target whites there as they are large and common. It is a high management lake and limit of one trout only. George and it's smaller sister Forbes take a bit of a kicking in the winter. Would be an asset to the lake if guys practiced only catch and release IMO. George is a real gem. First fished there in 1978. Limit at that time was 8 daily. Lots of pressure those days and the fishery declined due to this. Through constant stocking and stringent regulations the lake is again producing well. Still some abuse of limits by some. Good luck and good fishing :)!

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:27 PM »
glad it worked out for you in kenora
i have fished both the north and south end,
tend to do better on the north side but when the south is good you catch everything

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:35 PM »
South end has trout as well but is shallower and a flasher is important. I would love to target whites there as they are large and common. It is a high management lake and limit of one trout only. George and it's smaller sister Forbes take a bit of a kicking in the winter. Would be an asset to the lake if guys practiced only catch and release IMO. George is a real gem. First fished there in 1978. Limit at that time was 8 daily. Lots of pressure those days and the fishery declined due to this. Through constant stocking and stringent regulations the lake is again producing well. Still some abuse of limits by some. Good luck and good fishing :)!

FF
Go up to grand rapids the river is loaded with HUGE white fish, we seen them on the camera just schools and schools of big whites
Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Now I'm ichen to go. May have to wait a week or two but I will have to give it a try.Guy at work Said to drive out to Nutimic and get on George from that end.He mentioned a transmition line they quad in on.Any of you guys go in that way too.

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:06 PM »
To take the transmission way would be from thenorth would be much faster
Especially if it it that side u wanna fish

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:09 PM »
The ride in from the south an be a really rough, wet, and overall miserable ride on warm days and in the spring
45 min ride in good conditions but I've seen it take over 2 hours on a bad day

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:18 AM »
Well I wouldn't be crossing into George from pointe du bois so don't have many other options but to take the long way! I'm headed there tomorrow I'll post results and how trail is

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Haven't seen it
I'm trying to get some people for next week
But I have heard the trail is very rutted from all the warm weather
Good luck post after

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:00 PM »
I was hoping to go out there as early as this weekend. Not going to happen now though because I tend to fish with guys who can't stick to a set plan haha. Anyways, part of the reasoning behind the decision to not go out this weekend was that none of us know anyone who has ventured onto George yet this winter and thus had no idea how the journey in was going to be because of the weather. Hope it's smooth trails for anyone going out there.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:58 AM »
that would be great highlandglen.talking to others i think i will be going in next week.i am going to go by way of nutimik,cross the lake and follow the transmition line.
so how did you do today

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:54 PM »
We took power line trail in not Bannock point trail, I thought they were the same, but found out differently.  Took about 45 mins on quad there was 4 machines, trail was a bit choppy in places but not that bad. The three of us in my shack landed 6 Lakers and lost a few others other 2 guys lost one.  Awesome day, best I've ever had there will post some pics tomorrow....I'm beat...long day...but well worth it! ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:38 AM »
heres a few pics of some of the fish caught

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:53 AM »
very nice fish
and that is quite the shack! what kind is it?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Its the 7to9 man fatfish it has lots of room and the windows are great lots of light!
Not happy the pics turned out fuzzy!

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:23 AM »
Its the 7to9 man fatfish it has lots of room and the windows are great lots of light!
Not happy the pics turned out fuzzy!
Nice fish HG, I have the same fatfish, the  zippers are awful,  just got the tent after Christmas and zippers are not  working, they frost up at the bottom half and stick, I will need to replace them soon, other than that I love the tent, are you having the same issue with yours?
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:40 AM »
No frost issues in there, but I run a dual head sunflower heater in it so nice and toasty! Had issues with the poles though, one came out of a hub, wasn't a big issue, but setting it up yesterday one of the poles kinda splintered, didn't break all the way thru yet. Ill be contacting Eskimo tomorrow about it. There customer service has been good from what I've been told.

Offline Rod-holder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Oh wow! Sweet lookin lakers. Really looking to get out that way or even hitting Forbes this winter. So how many of them lakers you guys end up bringing home? Curious if have any SECRET recipes willing to share.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:07 PM »
brought our limit home, 5 fish as there was 5 of us, and sorry no recipes from me...kinda looking for some myself, been told to stuff it and bbq it or bake it...will be trying it soon.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Sounds like a great day HG. Nice fish and the trail riding would be have the fun. I had a shore lunch of Lakers when we were out past Kenora and all the guy do was fillet them, toss them in a bag with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Then you fry them in a pan full of vegitable shortening, the little block type, NOT LARD, he insisted on that. I tried it that way at home and it tasted great at there too.
I think I will go out there next weekend.

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:03 PM »
I go into Forbes  in the morning and take one laker out, then fish George in the afternoon, that way you can get ur full 2 limit.   If the CO's stop and ask, state exactly that, it 100% okay. 
How long is a piece of string?

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Is Forbes on a map?How long of a ride is it from George?

Offline TheEyeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:26 PM »
The trail leading to forbes from george is in the northeast side of george lake and its a short little ride into it.  The whiteshell map has all the lakes in it, you can pick it up pretty much any conservation office or i got mine from the conservation building on route 90.

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:51 AM »
Does anyone have any GPS trails for getting into George, haven't been there before and would like to check it out. Thanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Its not hard to find its the power line just past nutimik. I think it was roughly 12km down power line then trail goes to the right thru the bush for about another 4km. This trail is narrow and slower, lots of turns and ups and downs. When the trail goes off power line you can't miss it, its well used and barely a trail that. Keeps going down power line. If you have a GPS with any maps just scroll there it will show you everything

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:30 PM »
So as a general question to anyone reading this who has been out to George or Forbes recently, would you say it would be a comfortable trek to make on a snowmobile? Everything I had read or heard from people is from individuals who have gone in this season on quads. I'd like to go in sometime real soon but one of the people I plan to make the trip with are a bit worried about the condition of the trail and how a snow machine would take it. Easy enough on a quad it would seem.
Also, does anyone know of another route besides the power line trail? Someone told me there is a way in that's potentially easier but involves going in by crossing under one of the dams? I don't know the area well enough to give better details.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:44 PM »
The other option for going in is on the low side of point du bois dam! Sketchy this year in my opinion. The benefit of this route is a simple 15 min sled ride and your in. If you have a Whiteshell park map it will show the canoe route in from the dam side which is the snowmobile trail in the winter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.