Author Topic: Lake Winnipeg East 28/2/11  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Red Eskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Winnipeg East 28/2/11
« on: Feb 28, 2011, 10:19 PM »
 ;D Was a great day Blue Lund and I caught 19 wallies today some were keepers.  We lost at least 8 others.  It was an extreme fishing day @) :tipup:

Offline Sawbones

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Winnipeg East 28/2/11
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2011, 10:47 PM »
Wow, it must have been nasty windy out there.  See any "tumbleshacks" go by?

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2011, 11:05 PM »
;D Was a great day Blue Lund and I caught 19 wallies today some were keepers.  We lost at least 8 others.  It was an extreme fishing day @) :tipup:
Hows the traveling over there on the east side.and where did you go on at?

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2011, 11:11 PM »
Will I be okay without an extension out there? With snow shoveled out is the ice thin enough to punch through?
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2011, 11:34 PM »
Manditory extension out there.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:15 AM »
Dang, gotta spend the money now.
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline Red Eskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:27 AM »
no extension needed although ice is thick and need to dig down  and no wind till evening didn't even anchor the tent down...secret fishing ground sorry can't share.javascript:void(0);... javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:54 AM »
no extension needed although ice is thick and need to dig down  and no wind till evening didn't even anchor the tent down...secret fishing ground sorry can't share.javascript:void(0);... javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);
You must have a longer flight on your auger. I should have specified that I have to use my extension on my jiffy, and yes I did shovel down to the ice.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Which is yours Red? I have a Mako.

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Dang, gotta spend the money now.

It is always good to have an extension.
If you were to look for one now to buy (at the end of the season) you might be able to get a better price.
I would look for one even if you think you can get by without it.......there is always next year and sooner or later you will need it ;)
Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:47 PM »
I don't get all this useless discussion about extensions!  It's Manitoba and it's ice fishing!  Everybody should have an auger extension, plain and simple!  NO DISCUSSION NECESSARY!

You all spend 20 bucks on the latest lures and they only last a few fishing trips.  An auger extension lasts forever!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2011, 02:42 PM »
I don't get all this useless discussion about extensions!  It's Manitoba and it's ice fishing!  Everybody should have an auger extension, plain and simple!  NO DISCUSSION NECESSARY!

You all spend 20 bucks on the latest lures and they only last a few fishing trips.  An auger extension lasts forever!

Some folks just have to find out the hard way ;)

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline MIOVER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Some folks just have to find out the hard way ;)

FF
FF your Quote from John Wayne says it all
Go hard or go home

Offline netley-creek-fishing-boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Manditory extension out there.

I second that. My brother was out at Balsam 2 weeks ago and had an extension it was still almost at the powerhead.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:35 PM »

Lake Winnipeg and Lake Manitoba are the only common lakes fished around here that require an extension!!! I did not start using mine on Lake Winnipeg till a week ago Monday. IF A GUY DOSENT OWN ONE THEN THE DISCUSSON IS NECESSARY!

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Drilling a hole in any ice thickness is easier on the back with an auger extension.  So regardless of ice thickness, an extension is a positive addition.  Lake Winnipeg ice doesn't get thinner over the winter (duh) so stick the extension on early and go fish instead of wondering whether or not an extension is necessary!  It's never a bad idea to use an extension.  AGAIN, NO DISCUSSION REQUIRED!

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:48 PM »
I have to agree that the discussion on auger extensions has just about run its course having seen it resurface on numerous threads. Mine goes on in January and remains that way until the end of the season whether there is 2' of ice or 4'. A day out would be ruined if you pull your auger out of the hole after drilling down to the powerhead only to see water seeping in through the 2" of ice that you could not punch through. Would make getting getting all the gear ready and going to the trouble of getting out to your spot a waste of time. ;)

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:00 PM »
I have to agree that the discussion on auger extensions has just about run its course having seen it resurface on numerous threads. Mine goes on in January and remains that way until the end of the season whether there is 2' of ice or 4'. A day out would be ruined if you pull your auger out of the hole after drilling down to the powerhead only to see water seeping in through the 2" of ice that you could not punch through. Would make getting getting all the gear ready and going to the trouble of getting out to your spot a waste of time. ;)

Second the "on in January".  Not to mention that even if you bring it with you, trying to put it on @ -30C (quick couples or not) can be a pain in the butt and on the hands.

Offline BlueLund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Red Eskimo and I use a " Eskimo Auger "  43 cc          and yes it " just made it through "
  ::)       Didn't need an extention this year or last mind you, knock on ice  ;D

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Drilling a hole in any ice thickness is easier on the back with an auger extension.  So regardless of ice thickness, an extension is a positive addition.  Lake Winnipeg ice doesn't get thinner over the winter (duh) so stick the extension on early and go fish instead of wondering whether or not an extension is necessary!  It's never a bad idea to use an extension.  AGAIN, NO DISCUSSION REQUIRED!
Must just be my auger I guess, I really enjoy pulling the recoil at my forehead height and fighting to pull the auger up with every hole I drill? Also doesn't fit in my hard case with the extension on. You are right about on thing though, NO DISCUSSION REQUIRED ANYMORE. You managed to expand a 3 word reply into a little cry fest about extensions.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Haha you Manitobans sure are wacky!  :P

Just to be clear, all I meant by 'Dang, gotta spend the money now' is that I plan to go this weekend so I gotta have that money this pay check, which is gonna be a very tight one, it's pretty spoken for. One reason being my Greenback is ready at the Taxi!

Offline GRIM FISHER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Are some of you on the rag or what? Guy asked a simple question. Three or four weeks ago someone is questioning the size of the fish he posted. Way to go folks. Nothing like jumping on a guy who is just getting into Hard water fishing.

Hate to say it but there are a lot of tools on this site. More all the time, Big mouth no it all's.

Gator Hunter if no discusion is required why three separate posts, and who cares whether you think he should have an extension or not. he asked a question "DO I NEED AN EXTENSION" One simple word Yes or No!! 

Seriously the comments and lack of class has really turned me off of this site. Before that its pile on the 13 year old, because he asks a few questions. here is a simple solution if you don't like all his questions, don't read his posts. Neat Huh.

I think several people here need to go back and read Tommy Jr's post on having respect while on this board. Hand's down best post this winter. Amazes me how some of you get your crap in  a knot over a post.  ;D

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Let me simplify all that has been said!  Use an extension all the time and you won't have to ask if the ice is now thick enough to need an extension!

If only the answer was a simple yes or no, then I'm sure we'd all be happy.  But for every yes, there's a no and vice versa!  Personal preference and not actual requirement even comes into the equation.  So was the question answered to the poser's satisfaction?

For those that have commercial or home made auger cases, get one that fits with an extension!  

For those that insist on pushing their augers down to the gear box and flooding their carbs....Tag! :)

Offline BlueLund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Red Eskimo & I are quite flattered by all this attention :) 

We haul our sled , with auger, tent, chairs and misc. items  ;) through all the drifts before the lake, and over the grand crack of Belair to our secret fishing ground approx 500 ft from shore  @)

and guess what guys ........ we are girls  ::)  Who's the whiners now ?   

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:51 PM »
I hate extensions as well...impossible to fit into the malibu ;D

FF

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Was a pleasure meeting you the other day FF!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Was a pleasure meeting you the other day FF!

The pleasure is mine MTNMAN... and I might even end up as an "extra" in your latest production! ;D

FF

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2011, 05:41 PM »

We haul our sled , with auger, tent, chairs and misc. items  ;) through all the drifts before the lake, and over the grand crack of Belair to our secret fishing ground approx 500 ft from shore  @)

Nice one ;D ;D ;D
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Big Walleye in Carberry......slowly moving away from Rivers and Brandon?  ;)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:57 PM »

Well done with the success mentioned on your original post. Who would have thought it would be hijacked with all this talk of auger extensions ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.