Author Topic: Swivels  (Read 4962 times)

Offline GrandrapidsGizmo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Swivels
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:43 PM »
Good to know - where do you pick these up?

Once a year I take a weekend off and hit the Gander Mtn in Bemidgi Minn and buy all my personal gear for the year. They have the Spro swivels, the Sampo's  I got from Mills Fleet Farm. I have tried the Mustads from Wholesale too, they arnt bad but I did have one separate on a big Walleye once, probably just a defective one.

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:11 PM »
At that point if the  higher up I stop reeling and pull up by hand the old fashioned way. Give it a try you may be surprized!

In my opinion. Not a good idea. As gizz says. Nothing worse than fiddling around,when you have a fish in or just below hole. But if it works 4 U then, IF it aint broke don't fix it ;) ;)   zeus.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2011, 03:38 PM »
In my opinion. Not a good idea. As gizz says. Nothing worse than fiddling around,when you have a fish in or just below hole. But if it works 4 U then, IF it aint broke don't fix it ;) ;)   zeus.

I kind of point my rod tip toward the hole once the fish is close. Gentle recovery of line there after to ensure fish is not knocked off while getting into the hole :).

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:43 PM »
The reason I do it is because I dont have a flasher, this allows you to cover the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the water column.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:36 PM »
I have found using fluro connected to the jig doesn't work for me, it seems to snap all the time, I just use fireline with a small black swivel.

Not a fan of fluro at all.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:42 AM »
The reason I do it is because I dont have a flasher, this allows you to cover the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the water column.

HUH ??? ???, I don't see what a flasher has to do with the length of your leader, or how you land a fish

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:57 PM »
 I have about 4' of flouro. to a small swivel than to my 20' braid. The swivel I use is small enough to wind right onto the spool right through the guides.

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:58 PM »
OOPS..... 20lb. braid

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:38 PM »
I have about 4' of flouro. to a small swivel than to my 20' braid. The swivel I use is small enough to wind right onto the spool right through the guides.

All depends on size of swivel and size of tip eye. A leeder shorter than your rod would work in most cases. ;) ;)zeus

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:05 PM »

HUH ??? ???, I don't see what a flasher has to do with the length of your leader, or how you land a fish

As posted earlier , this allows you to fish at different depths, If you have a flasher you can raise your jig if you see a fish higher in the water cuomn. This will give you a better chance of catching suspended fish compared to only a jig on the botto.

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:12 PM »
As posted earlier , this allows you to fish at different depths, If you have a flasher you can raise your jig if you see a fish higher in the water cuomn. This will give you a better chance of catching suspended fish compared to only a jig on the botto.
Bad spelling should be collumn and bottom.

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:27 PM »
If you have a 2 foot leader you can still fish ALL of the water column, different depths. I am not trying to be argumentative. But I fail to understand your reasoning. F/finder or not.

Example. If you have a 10 foot leader in 20 feet of water. You will only be able to reel half way up from the bottom, before swivel reaches your rod end. If your swivel gets jammed in the end eye and you have a fish on you're screwed. And that is why I say, leader no longer than your rod. If swivel gets jammed, your fish will be almost if not all the way out of your hole. ;) ;)zeus

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Not at the same time.

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:34 PM »
should be collumn and bottom.

Actually, *column*  ;D
TC   

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Not at the same time.

So sorry, but I am completely baffled by your last statement. Let's just revert to "status quo".

This is getting me more confused than b4. What do you say T.C. ;) ;) ;) zeus

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Agreed, but just to keep the ball rolling I also troll two lures at a time while fishing lake trout in ontario with a similar system. Works great!

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:18 PM »
 Different type of fishing, Unless you are ice trolling ;) ;) ;) zeus

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:46 PM »
OOOps i shoauld have added in open water.

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:58 PM »
I also noticed that fish often check out the swivel. I now use about 1 inch of 30lb test atached to the swivel with a bare hook and a live minnow. Below i use 6 feet of floro with my jig. The bare hook and minnow often produces!

Having re- read this post. I have worked things out in my tiny mind. You attach a hook from your swivel, drop shotting fashion. So what happens if you get a fish on your jig at the bottom, and your swivel that now has a hook attached, snags on the bottom of your hole. Leaving your fish dangling 6 feet below. Personally, as I have said that system is a no go 4 me. If it works 4 you then fine. ;) ;) ;) zeus

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:41 AM »
hasnt been a problem.

Offline keen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:22 AM »
I have tried that and the hook does snag the ice, not worth trying.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Having re- read this post. I have worked things out in my tiny mind. You attach a hook from your swivel, drop shotting fashion. So what happens if you get a fish on your jig at the bottom, and your swivel that now has a hook attached, snags on the bottom of your hole. Leaving your fish dangling 6 feet below. Personally, as I have said that system is a no go 4 me. If it works 4 you then fine. ;) ;) ;) zeus

Same here, re read that post, now I understand what your doing. Kinda like a pickerel rig, except bigger gap.

Do you catch more fish then those you fish with?

I'm just wondering if you would do just as well having your jig 3' off the bottom.

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Dont think I do alot better, but I have caught fish 6 feet higher up than my buddy in the hole beside me and still have a chance at a bottom fish. Much like a pick rig with a wider gap as sled in stated.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:02 AM »
Hey guys,

Does eveyone use swivels with jigs or do you just tie right on to the jig?  I was watching a video on You Tube talking about line twist and how it can spin a jig while ice fishing.

What size swivel do people usually use?

Thank :tipup:

Never when fishing shallow water down to about 20', I use a fly reel so the only twist is from the jig going down, but I don't drop it so quick.  If I'm fishing deeper I use spinning reels and always use a swivel (SAMPO).
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Dont think I do alot better, but I have caught fish 6 feet higher up than my buddy in the hole beside me and still have a chance at a bottom fish. Much like a pick rig with a wider gap as sled in stated.

How do you even know where they are in the water column... didn't you say you were fishing without electronics ??? If you're deadsticking 100% of the time, then it might make (some) sense.

Why not just buy a finder and reel up to them :whistle:?
TC   

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Why not just buy a finder and reel up to them :whistle:?

Not everyone wants another addition like you TC ;) ;D

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Not everyone wants another addition like you TC ;) ;D

Sorry  :P... I just can't (won't) fish without at least one flasher ;).
TC   

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Sorry  :P... I just can't (won't) fish without at least one flasher ;).

2x ;D

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:38 PM »
In  these days fishing without electronics is like fishing with spears (archaic) imho. zeus ;) ;) ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.