Author Topic: Conservation officers  (Read 7012 times)

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Conservation officers
« Reply #30 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:22 PM »
Here in Pa.there some grey area I don't like,what ok with one warden,not with another.I was pheasant hunting years ago and shot my 2 bird limit,I put my setter in her box,gun in my case,took off my hunting jacket,and started to head home,after driving down the road,I crossed a small steam and thought this would be a good place the gut them and wash my hands,well a warden pulls up just as I'm done with the job and tries to write me up for hunting without my licence on my back,and no hunter orange on,well we went around and he really had nothing on me.Another example walleye fishing spring run,I get one in the out side of the mouth(on cheek) one warden good catch,another warden 125.00 fine,some of them are ok guys doing there job and others should have there jobs,taken away.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 08, 2010, 02:25 PM »
i agree with captain....not every nro is the same, ive had pleasant experiences with them..like the ldb officer very nice sociable older officer, and ive had run ins in big whiteshell with 2 ladies that tried to nail us on a couple of things to no evail, ive also been in a boat behind my buddy and his wife, who is the blondest looking native woman with a treaty card you'll ever meet, anyways we got stopped on a creek coming back and there boat had a couple 20 inchers, the first nro didnt even know what a walleye was , when he was told what it was he figured he'd nail them and by then his partner had seen her card and was starting there boat and telling him "i'll explain later"  to this day i still dont know how he became an nro, not even knowing what a walleye looks like.  im sure most people have had a bad experience with a nro, but that doesnt mean there all bad, ive actually hunted with an ex nro who is now a city cop,super nice guy, everybody has a job to do, unfortunately for them theres involves handing tickets out which ticks people off, but if you dont do anything wrong then more than likely all youll get is a bit of conversation and they'd be on there way

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2010, 02:33 PM »
If your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about....
By giving them a hard time about asking for a license, you got put on the list. They will be looking for your vehicle to check you again. Among the outdoors people are there some that seem to get checked more often? They were put on the list....They have a right to ask for your license when it is a given your were fishing or are going to fish....
there are so many rules out there i always worry.i carry the regs with me but you never know what you've missed or miss read.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 08, 2010, 03:47 PM »
there are so many rules out there i always worry.i carry the regs with me but you never know what you've missed or miss read.

Big difference between a person that gets dinged for a honest mistake...although ignorance of the law is no excuse. These are the kind of folks that will not make that mistake again but still may be left with a bad taste. IMO people that constantly have problems with authority are the habitual lawbreakers that claim to be "victimized" or "wrongfully" accused by authorities...be it Police, Resource people, Canada Customs, etc...

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Big difference between a person that gets dinged for a honest mistake...although ignorance of the law is no excuse. These are the kind of folks that will not make that mistake again but still may be left with a bad taste. IMO people that constantly have problems with authority are the habitual lawbreakers that claim to be "victimized" or "wrongfully" accused by authorities...be it Police, Resource people, Canada Customs, etc...

FF
Hit the nail on the head with that one FF!

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Big difference between a person that gets dinged for a honest mistake...although ignorance of the law is no excuse. These are the kind of folks that will not make that mistake again but still may be left with a bad taste. IMO people that constantly have problems with authority are the habitual lawbreakers that claim to be "victimized" or "wrongfully" accused by authorities...be it Police, Resource people, Canada Customs, etc...i too got nailed with a honest mistake and did not now better.i even asked the lady that sold me the lic.for hunting geese.is this all i need to hunt geese.she said yes but at that time the game stamp was sold at the post office.(o ya she was from sir hunting)so when the officer checked me i didn't even have the stamp.got stopped at my vehicle with no game at all.the nro did not even care to here my story.went to court and fought it.ignorance of the law the judge says and he was sorry he had to fine me.just left a bad taste where as  from now on i ask as many questions as possible.i just feel the nro had something to prove that day.that he was atop of the ladder and i was not.quess that's what i get for being 16 and trying out a new sport(hunting)

FF

Offline Big Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To freeze or not To freeze
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:36 PM »
NRO, RCMP, Municipal Cop.  All the same. They are there to do a job and protect and satisfy the majority.
For those that have gotten to know some of the NRO and if you had been in the Ashern area a number of years ago you might remember Huckbum. While I have never had negative experiences with him (unlike many others) I have had the joy of watching his stubbornness trying to get his service truck into a spot where his snowmobile would have been a better option. Our truck with it's wide 36" military tires and raised suspension was better equipted for the LM quest.
"Its not what you do in life, Its how you react to it"
Fishing Terms -  You can fish all you want if you can keep you wife happy.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 09, 2010, 11:50 AM »
So if we are all the honest ones here and are always within the bounds of the law with exception of mistakes (like it was said "stuff" happens). Then who is standing behind the law enforcement officers?

Yes, I agree that sometimes you don't "deserve" a ticket of an offense, but if you are in the wrong, then you need to face up to what your mistake is. I fully expect that one day I will too get a ticket I don't really "deserve", but being a polite, honest and upfront guy, I will do my best to talk my way out of it, but in the end I am in the wrong and will pay my dues.

I for one want the CO's out there doing their best to apply the law to the outdoors, it can be a really gray area in the morals department if everyone did as they think is best. If we are good citizens of this country we need to submit to the authorities that are in place, right or wrong.

Its a self righteous attitude that makes us think we can dump on these people, if we didn't always pick on every move they make, they could get far more done to make things better for us all.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:18 PM »
I was approached by a game warden last year while fishing, and the second I saw him walk oyt on the ice I knew who he was. I reached for my license only to discover (and remember) that I had left it at home as well.
I explained it to him, he asked for some ID and he gave me 2 choices. He gave me a ticket, but if I faxed him a copy of my fishing license within 5 days the ticket would turned into a warning.
If I didn't fax him a copy, it would remain a ticket.

Keep in mind, he was very polite and friendly in his approach. I was only too happy to oblige, since I had nothing to hide. After talking to him for awhile, I came to understand why these officers can get an unjust reputation. They have too many encounters with poachers and miscreants that they are viewed in an unsavory light when they are, for the most part, just trying to do the best job they can with what can be limited resources.

I also agree about using the experience as a lesson for kids that there are rules and those that are hired to make sure everyone adheres to those rules.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 09, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Had the same situation in a back lake a group of us had portaged into one year. One of our guys had forgotten his license and the NRO's gave him a certain amount of days to provide it. Very fair in my opinion.
Also had an incident ice fishing with Highland one time and he had forgotten his. I don't remember if he had to provide it but the thing I didn't understand was He told us both that are fishing was done for the day even though I had my license. Don't get that one?

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2010, 08:24 PM »
I'm not fishing and don't have any fish, his response was well your coming from a fishing spot and have rods and an auger

But you weren't fishing, right  :P? My old Granny (rest her soul  :'( ) used to say, "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and craps all over the place..." well, you get the idea   :woot: !!!
TC   

Offline Bruce13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 13, 2010, 10:49 PM »
Ha ha, so basically if it's hunting season, you roll through a check stop, wearing camo, blaze orange, have a rifle in the back seat and say.......what do i need a license for, i wasn't hunting! haha nice try!

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:35 PM »
I'm confused... did the OP have a valid licence and produce it?? Did he have a licence and feel he didn't need to show it?? I hear a lot of griping and complaining on this site and others about over- fishing on the big lake, drinking, driving like idiots, over harvesting, use of barbed hooks... I could go on and on. So gatorhunter and other LEO's step up enforcement on one of the major access points on the lake, now people b***h about being checked?? you guys really have no idea how few co's this province has for the territory they cover...... if the RCMP are there to supplement them, more power to them. I don't see a problem with being asked to provide a valid licence... or am I missing something here? ???

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 14, 2010, 01:24 PM »
I think the point is they really have nothing on you if you are coming off the lake even with 1000 rods and tipups, if you have zero fish, then they cannot prove that you had a line in the water, they have nothing. Now that being said if you are coming off the lake and there is lets say 8 fish in the box, then there better be at least 2 people with valid fishing licences in the truck. I have 8 rods and 4 tip-ups in the back seat of my truck all the time, I dont take them out, now if I drive down to the ice to stop by and see my buddys at the shack to see how they are doing on the way home from work, and I come off the ice and get checked I have no reason to show a fishing licence. None. Nor do I need to have one on me. You dont need a licenece to drive on the ice. Instead of looking for a licence maybe they should actually look in the back of the truck for fish. What they are taking my word for it that after I told them I only caught 4 fish and showed them my fishing licence that everything is ok? Maybe they should actually ask for me to show the fish to them? Maybe they should look.. I could have 20 walleye in the back but as long as I show them a licence its ok. Thats what I have a problem with. If they want to be the enforcement kings then actually check. Go hole to hole, get on a snowmobile or atv and go group to group, count the lines IN the water, check for barbs IN the water, check for people littering ON the ice, that would be proper enforcement. The C.O. out in the Lac du Bonnet area actually do that and are very nice and informative, not like the ones in the Interlake, totally lost. Maybe it is a lack of management??? A lack of education??? (yes I said education, I met one out at pine falls who didnt know the difference between a saugar and a walleye but whatever govt right ...) Lack of training, Lazy?  I dont know but there is clearly a better way of doing things.I totally agree that there are dishonest people out there and there needs to be enforement so then go out and enforce it, educate people, answer questions on the ice, educate on the ice. If Chalet beach is a hot spot then go sit out there on the ice so people could ask questions if they are unsure about something, educate yourselves so you can teach new fisherman and fisher kids the right way to do things. The RCMP, OPP, winnipeg police do that all the time. Educate. Drive around , they have 4X4 that we all paid for surely they can drive on the ice. Right now they should be sitting and the edge of the ice at chalet letting people know the dangers on driving on right now, they should know the thinner ice spots and share that info to people before the venture out because surely they is people that just dont know. Proactive!!!!!!!!!!! Educate....

:-\ :-\
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:04 PM »
I think the point is they really have nothing on you if you are coming off the lake even with 1000 rods and tipups, if you have zero fish, then they cannot prove that you had a line in the water, they have nothing. Now that being said if you are coming off the lake and there is lets say 8 fish in the box, then there better be at least 2 people with valid fishing licences in the truck. I have 8 rods and 4 tip-ups in the back seat of my truck all the time, I dont take them out, now if I drive down to the ice to stop by and see my buddys at the shack to see how they are doing on the way home from work, and I come off the ice and get checked I have no reason to show a fishing licence. None. Nor do I need to have one on me. You dont need a licenece to drive on the ice. Instead of looking for a licence maybe they should actually look in the back of the truck for fish. What they are taking my word for it that after I told them I only caught 4 fish and showed them my fishing licence that everything is ok? Maybe they should actually ask for me to show the fish to them? Maybe they should look.. I could have 20 walleye in the back but as long as I show them a licence its ok. Thats what I have a problem with. If they want to be the enforcement kings then actually check. Go hole to hole, get on a snowmobile or atv and go group to group, count the lines IN the water, check for barbs IN the water, check for people littering ON the ice, that would be proper enforcement. The C.O. out in the Lac du Bonnet area actually do that and are very nice and informative, not like the ones in the Interlake, totally lost. Maybe it is a lack of management??? A lack of education??? (yes I said education, I met one out at pine falls who didnt know the difference between a saugar and a walleye but whatever govt right ...) Lack of training, Lazy?  I dont know but there is clearly a better way of doing things.I totally agree that there are dishonest people out there and there needs to be enforement so then go out and enforce it, educate people, answer questions on the ice, educate on the ice. If Chalet beach is a hot spot then go sit out there on the ice so people could ask questions if they are unsure about something, educate yourselves so you can teach new fisherman and fisher kids the right way to do things. The RCMP, OPP, winnipeg police do that all the time. Educate. Drive around , they have 4X4 that we all paid for surely they can drive on the ice. Right now they should be sitting and the edge of the ice at chalet letting people know the dangers on driving on right now, they should know the thinner ice spots and share that info to people before the venture out because surely they is people that just dont know. Proactive!!!!!!!!!!! Educate....

You've stated some pretty strong comments about what you perceive is the way Interlake NROs conduct business!  Stop in to the Selkirk office anytime and I'll show you our enforcement ledger, the hours spent on proactive and educational activities, patrols, check stops, etc.  Sometimes we even investigate complaints from concerned citizens!  Unless you've been a law enforcement officer, you have no idea on how resources are allocated and utilized.  How work is priorized, distributed, planned!

We've been criticized for many things but lack of education or laziness is kind of new to me!  Maybe you were checked by a very new seasonal officer?  Nobody knows everything about everything at the best of times!  So this person learned something that day that will serve them for the rest of their lives.

As for the being checked, if we have reasonable grounds to believe that a person has, is or will be engaged in fishing activity we have the authority to stop you any time and any where to ensure compliance of fishery regulations!

Offline Bruce13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:22 PM »
I'm confused... did the OP have a valid licence and produce it?? Did he have a licence and feel he didn't need to show it?? I hear a lot of griping and complaining on this site and others about over- fishing on the big lake, drinking, driving like idiots, over harvesting, use of barbed hooks... I could go on and on. So gatorhunter and other LEO's step up enforcement on one of the major access points on the lake, now people b***h about being checked?? you guys really have no idea how few co's this province has for the territory they cover...... if the RCMP are there to supplement them, more power to them. I don't see a problem with being asked to provide a valid licence... or am I missing something here? ???

AGREEEEEEEED!!!!

Offline Bruce13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:34 PM »
check for barbs IN the water,

I think you need some education......read the regs, you can't even have barbed hooks attached to your line. They don't have to be IN the water.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:17 PM »
And you sir would be considered a very conscientious person. Always a good idea to carry it and read it if you aren't sure of a law. Also helps if a CO is in the wrong. As Gator stated no one knows everything. I have used mine during bow season here to prove the mechanical broadheads were legal and had been for quite a few years. Guy apologised and said he didn't deal with bowhunters alot. So I guess you care if you have it with you. :clap:

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:10 PM »
I think you need some education......read the regs, you can't even have barbed hooks attached to your line. They don't have to be IN the water.

who cares if they are on the line or in the water they are not checking either buddy!
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:43 PM »

who cares if they are on the line or in the water they are not checking either buddy!

Of the half-dozen times I've had an "Interlake" NRO stop and chat with me on the water in the last 5 years I'd say 4 times they had me pull my lines out of the water in order to check for barbs/bait.  It does happen, maybe you just seem to TW for them to worry.

Offline GrandrapidsGizmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 15, 2010, 01:11 PM »
I sure hear a lot of complaining going on here, had to check what site I was on! Be thankful you have NRO's where you are. Ours retired and it may be awile before we get another.When we still had ice on the river it was a walleye massacre, guys driving up from the interlake 2 or 3 times a week and filling 5 gallon pails with walleyes(not treaty either!) A white guy drove into my driveway and shot two sharptails a couple of nights ago.One of my co-workers found a cow moose carcass 2 weeks ago with just the backstraps removed.List goes on and on.The closest NRO is in Gypsumville an hour and a half away. He drives through Grand Rapids a couple of times a week, but if we see infractions there is nothing we could do but take license plate numbers and hope for the best.Be thankful for Andre and his coworkers, they do a great job with what they have!

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Seems like everyone is picking fly S??T out of pepper. Been checked for barbed hooks 90% of the time. Have also had the coolers checked, fish measured and license checked!
What is so hard about the regulations. Pinch your stupid barbs instead of arguing about it being tied on but not in the water! If there is a slot limit then so be it. If it says to carry a license then carry it.
If you cant read have someone read the regs for you and if you don't understand a regulation there are many people on this site to help clarify them!
If you don't follow the regs then I hope you get every possible fine!!!!

Offline Oxdrift

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 16, 2010, 12:31 AM »
I think COs lots of time forget there not only in a position of authority put a position of public relations. lots of times when checked and treated decent i will be a good guy and even pass on information, but also when treated as A child. I will be A a**hole.

Lets just treat each other with respect

And i don't understand why a CO wouldn't approach a large group i mean were anglers not criminals. obliviously if you think there  would be trouble then you got the wrong attitude.

But I'm not saying  all anglers are angles either

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 16, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Maybe you guys could try MIDOL!  Take something this topic is too long.

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:12 AM »
Maybe you guys could try MIDOL!  Take something this topic is too long.

Nobody is forcing you to read this ::) ::) ::)  Never heard of "Midol" personally ??? Maybe you are talking from experience. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D zeus

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Nobody is forcing you to read this ::) ::) ::)  Never heard of "Midol" personally ??? Maybe you are talking from experience. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D zeus
Just as yourself jackass, its just an opinion like you voice yours over and over and over.

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:43 AM »

Quote pembina.....Just as yourself jackass, its just an opinion like you voice yours over and over and over.

WOW.............. That is a great reply. PITY IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. :tipup: zeus.
ME 91 posts.  You 146 posts. Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Mar 16, 2010, 09:03 AM »
Maybe an intervention is needed here

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Maybe an intervention is needed here

lololololooool :o