The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand Auger Blades?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Hand Auger Blades?
« on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I have a 6" Mora Hand Auger that I need to get new blades for. So do I have to get Mora blades for it which cost $24 or can I get the Polar Ice Auger Blades that cost $12?  When I took the Mora blades off there were little metal spacers under the blade near the cutting side.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hand Auger Blades?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:30 PM »
As long as the mounting holes match up, and the angles are the same you should be fine.  My advice though, get a good sharpening stone and practice on old kitchen knives to get your angles down... once you master that you can stretch out the life of those old blades... if nothing else keep them for spares

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:44 PM »
As long as the mounting holes match up, and the angles are the same you should be fine.  My advice though, get a good sharpening stone and practice on old kitchen knives to get your angles down... once you master that you can stretch out the life of those old blades... if nothing else keep them for spares
I usually do get them sharpened, but this auger was giving to me, and the blades are really rusty!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2012, 04:19 PM »
I usually do get them sharpened, but this auger was giving to me, and the blades are really rusty!!

new set and a spare set , i use to sharpen mine but it took me a lot of practice

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Rusty blades wont hurt anything. Hit them with a wire brush then sharpen.

Personally, I would just buy a set of mora blades (made in Sweden). That way you can use the blade exchange programs like fish307 offers. Its like getting a brand new set!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2012, 10:18 PM »
You have to watch out on sharpening your own blades. Some are hollow ground which means they have slight radius on the face of the bevel. This type is very difficult to sharpen yourself and it is hard to find someone to sharpen them for you. If you can find someone it's best to just send them out for sharpening.
If you have flat bevel, flat blades with or without teeth you can run them across a 400 or 600 grit diamond stone and get a very good edge with practice, just remember to flip the blade over and run it flat against the stone to remove the bur that will built up off the back edge of the blade.
For flat bevel, curved blades try using a Dremel tool and good luck or send them out for sharpening.
Best advice has been posted already. but a new set and get your old ones sharpened for a spare set.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:49 PM »
I have a 6" Mora Hand Auger that I need to get new blades for. So do I have to get Mora blades for it which cost $24 or can I get the Polar Ice Auger Blades that cost $12?  When I took the Mora blades off there were little metal spacers under the blade near the cutting side.

You can also get the flat eskimo blades if you want.  But to tell the truth Mora Swedish blades are the best.  Is it really worth $12 savings to have your nabual auger work less effectively?  I don't know about you but I subscribe to the old saying "work smarter not harder"  And harder is most likely what you'll get for your $12.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:04 PM »
Just make sure the blades aren't MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:35 AM »
The cheap HT blades will work. But get genuine Swedish Mora blades. 2 to 3 seasons out of them compared to 1 with the HT
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Save the little metal shims, when you put your new blades on try them ,they might work fine, on the other hand it they "feel" dull you might need the spacers to change the angle to make them cut like new.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.