New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 416874 times)

Offline sharps45-90

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1200 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Don't know if it was sand or dirt ,just know when we drilled bits of black stuff was mixed in . Whatever it is that new set of blades were done for the day.....end of meadow drive

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1201 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:02 AM »
  Just wanted to revive the thread. Awful quiet on here you guys must be pounding the monster perch, lol. Fished Mayville last Saturday with my son, and his friend. They had a great time. The friend is 15 and, already buying a hut, and found a friend that could drive to take him back on Sunday.
  I`m going to hit Chautauqua 1 day this weekend. Long Point been any good for perch this year? Usually I fish there, just never made it so far this year. If any of you guys have not fished Erie before, this is that 1 out of every 4 years where it is safe 16 inches plus. Just have to watch the winds. Been slow at least for me, but the perch are huge. Finding them is the pain in the butt. Got some 10" that must have weighed a #. My buddy got some 13" that looked like 2#.

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1202 on: Mar 09, 2014, 07:36 AM »
took my 41/2 yr old granddaughter fishing off magnolia yesterday afternoon  just about had the ice to ourselves  she was just about the best ice partner I have ever had  and I have had a bunch over the years  we got into the perch and it was nonstop for an hour  all smalls  but no matter she is strictly a catch and release gal . she cant wait to get back out  was up at 6 this morning tying to get me to take her back out   

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #1203 on: Mar 09, 2014, 02:39 PM »
sounds like you created a monster!   A good monster!   Glad she had fun...that's what its all about!

Offline tom5135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1204 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:00 PM »
We made it out to 63 feet of water off the harbor Sunday. Did well on perch. Got a few pushing the 14 inch mark. Filled up a bucket with 14 good perch all around 9-10 inchers. 5 of us. State cops and local polize were checking for helmets and two bars. Parking was difficult. I have an extended cargo van, and had to park up top. Be safe!

Where was this? Do the police check for helmets often? And what do you mean two bars?

Offline chris steel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1205 on: Mar 09, 2014, 09:02 PM »
think in wrong thread sounds like erie

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1206 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:15 PM »
It was Erie. Went to Mayville with a friend after we heard it was raining on Lake Erie. Caught a bunch of perch, but not a lot of keepers. The bite definitely slowed down since last week. Still a lot of ice.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #1207 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Do we have a lot of water on the ice? I plan to go tonight, I will post conditions when I return!
-Chris

Offline tom5135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1208 on: Mar 11, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Either way what does  two bars mean? Typo?

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1209 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Yes, a typo.  I'm sure he meant tow bars
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1210 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Yes Tom "two bars" was a typo...he meant tow bar as u need to have one while hauling a sled or shanty behind you on an atv/snowmobile

Offline tom5135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1211 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:54 AM »
 Ok, thanks.  Didn't know you needed a tow bar. I guess I can't pull  my shelter with a rope then.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1212 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:38 AM »
Went out for crappies on Tuesday night.  Only managed 4 keepers.  Got a couple shorts and missed some good hits.  Wasn't much water on the ice, just an inch or so of slush.  Now I am wondering how much snow is on the ice! 
-Chris

Offline icenut_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1213 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:40 AM »
me too!

Offline green hornet09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1214 on: Mar 14, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Crappie action should be picking up. Guna head out tomorrow possibly.i will post report

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1215 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Not a bit of snow on the ice. Top was wet but firm. Easy drag out and the bite was on. Got off just as the front hit.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1216 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:54 PM »
Can anybody give me a few pointers about Burtis Bay? Where the parking is and access to get on the ice? How far out is the fishing grounds? I've never fished the south part yet and wanted to give it a try soon. Only been to Mayville, Dewittville , and Long point. I'm not asking for honeyholes. Just a point in right direction. You can PM me if you want. Thanks in advance.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline ROBBOB1964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1217 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Can anybody give me a few pointers about Burtis Bay? Where the parking is and access to get on the ice? How far out is the fishing grounds? I've never fished the south part yet and wanted to give it a try soon. Only been to Mayville, Dewittville , and Long point. I'm not asking for honeyholes. Just a point in right direction. You can PM me if you want. Thanks in advance.

parking is across the street from the lakewood boat launch /   Lakewood Community Park-531 E.TerraceAve.,Lakewood.   .the fishing grounds are strait out 3 or 400 yards or so .
we did good at first ice on big gills and crappie in 5 - 6 ft in the weeds .crappie fishing should be picking up again as it usually does in mid to late march , early mornings and evenings and the gills bite all day,didnt get many perch there.the bigger crappie 12- 14"  were mostly on caught on minnows - got the gills and some smaller 9 - 10" crappie on jigs and waxies
Stanley Robbobski the polish perch slayer

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1218 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:27 AM »
thanks ROBBOB1964, appreciate it the info  :thumbsup:

Offline snowmandan76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1219 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Mayville was great today not to bad to walk easy drag but had a few slick spots had some good luck in 15 fow

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1220 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Went out Saturday morning.  Planned to go to Erie, but decided not to with the vicious wind and unsure conditions so we got to Chautauqua later than I would've liked.  Fished 8am-2ish.  Dink perch and gills, no crappie.  Ice was fine, a bit of water on top, but I am sure its solid and slick now!  Gunna try again tomorrow night.
-Chris

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1221 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Fished away from the crowd today,Mayville is a real pigsty,picked up what I could that wasn't frozen in ice.IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW WHAT THAT GREEN BARREL IS BY THE PARKING LOT,IT'S CALLED A TRASH CAN FOR ANYONE TO THROW TRASH IN,I USED IT TODAY AND IT WORKS PRETTY WELL SO GIVE IT A TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Our parking privlidges are in peril if the trash continues like this and I won't be surprised if they are revoked so please don't be a lazy slob,and if you see someone who is please let them know.I also iced over 100 perch and weeded out a limit.

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1222 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:24 AM »
Fishin nik I agree 110%. People are lazy slobs. A few of them are going to ruin it for the rest of us. If you bring it, take it with you. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1223 on: Mar 19, 2014, 11:34 AM »
everywhere I go I see that. I'm always picking up garbage. Its really not that hard. take what you bring with you!

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #1224 on: Mar 19, 2014, 03:28 PM »
A simple philosophy to follow is to treat your fishing grounds like it's your front yard. An example - I fished Burtis Bay with Skip from Hogan's Hut yesterday.  The lid blew off his waxies and he chased it down to retrieve it.  My hat is off to guys who police up areas where others trash.
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline buffalo bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1225 on: Mar 21, 2014, 01:58 PM »
If you fished with Skip you must have caught some, he always puts me on them. I hope he has a good tip for me, i plan on getting up there Sat. afternoon and stay till dark.

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #1226 on: Mar 21, 2014, 04:50 PM »
If you fished with Skip you must have caught some, he always puts me on them. I hope he has a good tip for me, i plan on getting up there Sat. afternoon and stay till dark.

Yes. As usual, he out fished me 4 to 1. It was good getting out with him. It was the first time this year I was able to get Skip on the ice to fish with me. We stopped at his house afterwards for a cocktail. Good trip.
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1227 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:54 PM »
You guys got to be kidding me,no one fished the lake all weekend?Must be MarchMadness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FN

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1228 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:56 PM »
I just got home from the lake.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline buffalo bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1229 on: Mar 24, 2014, 09:54 AM »
I was the only one fishing Cheney's point Sat. late afternoon until after dark. Thank you Skip at Hogans , you did it again. Caught 31 calicos kept 14 , 4 real nice. I'll show you photos next time down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.