Author Topic: Put the wrong oil in jiffy propane auger  (Read 2816 times)

Offline waywayupnorth

• IceShanty Rookie
Put the wrong oil in jiffy propane auger
« on: Mar 02, 2020, 04:52 PM »
Drained the oil but cant get it to run.  Any tips here?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Put the wrong oil in jiffy propane auger
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:04 PM »
What kind of oil did you have in there? Couldn't be as bad as dumping motor oil in the power steering reservoir...  :whistle: ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:37 PM »
or where the dot 3 is supposed to go...

can you provide any other info wwun?

Offline waywayupnorth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Straight 30 by accident ( i know, dumb dumb )  drained through the fill hole then drained through the spark plug.. both for literally DAYS.  had the auger in every position imaginable to drain the wrong and right oils out.  .pulled the cord a lot with the plug out.  Put in suggested amount of correct oil after replacing spark plug.  No fire.  If i put starting fluid in the cylinder it fires for half a second so the plug will fire.  It's been in my house for months so there's no cold propane issue.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Check the carb for oil in that.the crankcase breather tube is connected to the carb and if oil was coming out sparkplug it’s definitely in the carb thru the breather tube.mine gets some oil in it sitting upright.so if you had it in every which way position it’s probably flooded with oil.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2020, 09:03 PM »
I don't know for 4 stroke augers but if you lay a four stroke outboard down wrong oil floods the fuel system. I believe it's called hydrolock. You can pull your heart out and it won't start until the oil clears. Since LP runs through the fuel system as a gas there's nothing to rinse the oil out so it's even more difficult. Best bet is pull the carb and rinse it in straight gas to try to clear the oil and it's still a lot of work. Load the combustion chamber with starting fluid when you try to start to get the remaining oil sucked through the system. Not a mechanic here but I know how things work and you've got a job on your hands. Perhaps there's a real wrench here with better advice.

EDIT: Might also be worthwhile rinsing the combustion chamber out with gas as well. Pull the plug, make sure the plug wire if completely insulated from contacting the engine, pour the cylinder maybe a quarter to a third full and gently cycle it and pour it out. Might even have to repeat that.

Good luck!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2020, 08:41 AM »
I know the first Gen/Run Jiffy Propane augers had some issues ..in the fuel system mostly . The oil may not be the actual problem ..I recently seen my  first Jiffy Propane auger in my area ..it ran/cut just fine ..but heavy .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2020, 10:38 AM »
I would wash it out with a little bit of diesel fuel to wash out the rest of the oil, then clean the fuel lines and carb. Put the right oil in and give it another shot.

If you cant clean the carb, replace it. Id bet money theres oil in there that is gumming it up and not letting the propane past.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2020, 02:16 PM »
I never worked on a jiffy propane auger so, I don't believe propane motors have a carb. They use a mixer.  Straight 30 weight would not cause any harm. But I don't understand why oil would drain out spark plug hole. Better take it to shop to have it checked out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.