Author Topic: Any fellow central Il. hardwater fanatics out there?  (Read 22297 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
Just wondering if there were any fellow central il. hardwater fanatics out there? I live in Yates City and fish several of the local ponds, summer and winter. Pray for ICE!!!!!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Any fellow central Il. hardwater fanatics out there?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2003, 12:01 PM »
Hi, I live just north of Champaign and fish about anything that freezes.

Pop

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:27 PM »
hello, I live about an hour north of Bloomington. Looking for places to ice fish this season.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2003, 05:14 AM »
Hey guys good to hear from you-my time is short so just a quick reminder,let's all try our best to go to the ice conditons section for Il. and report after each fishing trip-I know it'll be a great resource when we don't want to get all bundled up, drive to the lake only to find we've got 1" of ice or none at all! I'll keep in touch and perhaps we could meet for some hardwater action!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2003, 03:21 PM »
Kim, it would be nice to fish together.  Do you ever fish Banner Marsh?  I have been by there during open water but have always wanted to try it through the  ice.  Another question: have you been to the Galyans store and Gander Mnt. in the past month?  Do they have the ice fishing tackle out on the floor?

Pop

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2003, 11:54 PM »
I went to gander last week 12-6 and spent some $$$$ they have a great selection..Then went to Gaylons, it was a waste of time .. only a very small selection. stopped by presleys for the 1st time,wasnt impressed.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2003, 02:31 AM »
yea, fooman's right gander mountain's by far the best-though they  can be a bit pricey I've found when compared to ordering online(on a few items anyway). To POP-I've fished Banner only once and it was during the summer-hoping we can get enough ice to try both it and Lake Storey(can be a great crappie hole also). Maybe we can hook up(LOL), I know that was bad! Also, POP, do you live in Champaign-If you do, I think you and I emailed each other a few years back, when I needed help on my fishtrap and you were just starting to icefish and wanted info on gear-Am I right? JUst wondering.

Offline ZachSchuler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2003, 03:26 PM »
I'm not exactly from central Illinois, but close. I live in morrison, which is between STerling and Clinton Iowa. I've never fished south through the ice but have fished places like spring and storey open water.

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Praying for 3 more weeks of ice!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2003, 09:52 PM »
crystal lake here, reporting ice conditions sounds like a plan

Offline bluegill63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2003, 07:01 PM »
Hi from mendota here right by lasalle peru we had about 3 inches of ice along the edges of my town lakes we still need that one artic blast so we can go out and sit on our buckets and I can't wait. Lets go winter start the ice.

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2003, 08:13 PM »
Gill how are the lakes up there by Mendota.(mendota,kakusha) Is ice fishing allowed? Have you tried Mautino?

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2003, 09:26 AM »
Kim,  I live about 20 miles north of Chamapign, and am always looking for fishing pardners.  I don't think it was me you were talking to, I bought my first ice auger, a Snaab, in 1959 and have been beating the hard water ever since.  I even used an ice chisel for 2 years before that.  We are getting some ice here but the weather is getting warmer.  I have a friend that calls from Shelbyville when the ice is safe there, if you would like I will email you directions if you would like to join us for some crappie fishing.

Pop

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply POP and the offer,perhaps we can hook up-if we ever get that damn ICE!

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:59 PM »
We still have ice on some of the small lakes I fish, not much but it made it through the warm weather.  Now if we could get some of the cold stuff, I think we would be ok.  If you have never fished Shelbyville, I think you will enjoy it.  If any of the other Illinois hardwater fisherman (or Zach if it isn't too far) would like to go, let me know, we might as well make a day outing of it.  There is a bit over,  11,000 acers and a lot of room to fish.  My fishing buddy and I have fished 2 days in a row and not seen another person there

Pop

Offline bluegill63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2003, 06:24 AM »
Foo the lakes in Mendota are hit or miss they let you fish kakusha only thru the ice. There is and 8 inch limit on bluegills now there and they enforce it. I saw a few guys get busted last year. Mautino's I have fished in a boat never on the ice. I have caught some really nice crappies there before in the spring so I know there is some nice ones in there. If there is any thing else I can help you with give me a holler.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2003, 02:07 PM »
Any ice reports for the peoria area-thinking about going out(not in(LOL)) tomorrow(12/20).

Offline toph2o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when in doubt, jerk
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2003, 10:01 PM »
Peoria Heights  here. Fishing  12/20 would be iffy cause its suppose to be 50 . kind of rymes.  We havent had enough cold to make me feel safe out there. I fish Banner all the time. good place if you can find the crappie. Also fish near Victoria in the strip mines.    Come on cold. I wish they would take the hp limit off at Bannerfor the open h2o fishing..    toph2o

P Gottshall

« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:32 PM »
Washington here - about 10mi east of Peoria.  It's 46 today. . .

I fish Eureka lake quite a bit, as it's 10min away.  Lots of 7-8in Crappies, a few near 10in.  

I fish Evergreen in open water.  At least Banner is 25hp, Evergreen is 10hp.  Need a good trolling motor. . .  Anyone ice-fish at Evergreen?

Paul

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:16 PM »
I see toph2o and pgottshall are from around the same area.  Lake Bloomington had some nice crappie for a few years, are they still there?  I have always wanted to fish Banner Marsh and never have, if we get some ice and I plan a trip over there would either of you help me figure out where to start.  I don't need to know secret holes, just a general idea of the layout of the place and what fish are in each lake.  If they have a seasonal depth preference that would be nice to know.  I hate fishing for bluegill in a lake that doesn't have many good sized blue gills.  I would be happy to help you with any lakes in my area.  The weather today has really killed the ice we had forming, now we have to start the wait all over again.

Pop

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2003, 03:59 AM »
Went out Sat. 12/20-about 1 and 1/2 to 3" of ice on a local farm pond- it has very few fish, so I didn't even get  a bite! Well, the real reason could be I didn't go beyond the 2 fow mark and I also tied myself off to the bumper of the truck! Still had fun testing out the gear finally- fellas, got to get yourself a Mr. Buddy/Dynaflow Heater- they're amazing! Put the hut up in the drive way the night before(it was 10 degrees out with a medium breeze) and fired up the heater on high to start it like your supposed to and within 3-4 min. had to turn the sucker to low and take off my coat,hat,and bibs-told my wife if I'd ran it any longer on high, my neighbor would be getting a moonshot from my hut(LOL)! Come on ice! Bad news predictions for January are above average temps! Be safe Take floation gear, buddies, ICE PICKS!!!! and change of clothes-later!

P Gottshall

« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:04 AM »
Pop,

I've never fished Lake Bloomington.  I fish Evergreen, which is just across the highway.  I "heard" Crappies were OK in Bloomington this year.  I'd like to try for Walleye there too.  Evergreen has Saugeye, & 3lbs is big (for me).  I'd love to get into a big Walleye.

I've fished Banner open-water, mostly for Bass, but tried Crappie enough to know you need to be in the right lake.  There are three main lakes, the east access is good, with lots of standing wood.  The main access is a typical deep strip-mine lake & I've never caught a Crappie there.  Bells Landing (South) has some Crappies.  Most people fish all the way down & around to the right (North).

There is a lot of non-boatable water at Banner, which I haven't been on.  If someone else has & can give advice, I'd love to meet you there sometime.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R1/Graphics/bnmsitemap.pdf

Paul

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2003, 12:07 PM »
Paul, let me know when you think the ice is right and I will drive over.  I am looking at some aerial photos of the area but I need to find better ones.  A friend of mine tells me there are some nice bluegill there but a lot of small ones to work through.  If we get good ice there can be some walleyes caught in the east arm of Clinton.  You have to go above the hot water release and fish the old gravel pits.  If I hear they are moving up, I will let you know there can be some really big fish there.

Pop

Offline bluegill63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:39 PM »
Anyone have a report around the lasalle peru area and how is the ice. Where is the cold weather. I am like a ticking time bomb about to explode lol.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2003, 09:47 AM »
bg63, are there any tackle shops in Ottawa, other than Farm & Fleet?  How about around your area?  When I get up there I can never find a local shop to pick up the items I always seem to forget.  Do you fish any of the back water areas along the Illinois?

Pop

Offline bluegill63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2003, 05:05 PM »
Pop there is a few places in Utica that I go to. The ace hardware here in Mendota has a basspro outlet there he doesn't have alot of ice fishing stuff but has a nice selection of other stuff. I have never fished the back waters of the Illinois I fish the lakes here in town and a few private ponds.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2004, 03:34 PM »
Did you guys see the weather for next week!!!!!! Finally-Ice!

P Gottshall

« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2004, 02:29 PM »
Yes!  Yes!!  61 today. . .  can't wait - ice next week!  

I just got a used Vex & a Scout, & wondered if I was wasting my money!

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:39 PM »
Can't wait either, let me know what you think of the scout, I have a fishtrap 2 older model,love it, but I am thinking of buying a used scout for the days I fish alone. The scout is bigger than the pro, correct?

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Praying for 3 more weeks of ice!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:45 PM »
NO the scout is smaller

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Thanks headhunter-very quick response if  i must say-pro it is then!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.