Author Topic: New member...question on gear  (Read 3303 times)

Offline LIVINtheLIFE

• IceShanty Rookie
New member...question on gear
« on: Mar 24, 2020, 07:41 AM »
New member, but not new to ice fishing! Been ice fishing a long time albeit I don’t get out as often as I could. This year that changed, been trying to get out a lot and still 2-3 feet of ice in most places right now where I live. I’m in the market for a new auger/gear. Looking at getting into a drill/hand auger combo to replace my Eskimo gas auger. Currently I have 3 options I’ve narrowed down to, I live in Canada and with this stuff going on resources are limited to get gear out of the states, that being said I’ve found a used Nils 8” auger(42”) and pointed head for $75CAD, was mounted to an old Tanaka so without saying it doesn’t come with a handle and it doesn’t come with a blade cover. Blades look great but they are rusty(would cost roughly $120CAD extra after shipping to get a new handle, blade cover and drill adapter). Total ~$200CAD for the Nils said and done that is if the blades don’t need touched up. Other options I’m looking at are a Fin-BoreIII(Full setup brand new with adapter $150CAD shipped to my door) and lastly my final option is a new Strikemaster Lite Flite, I found one on sale right now for $280CAD all said and done shipped to my door. So is the used Nils auger worth the extra effort and cost? Fin-Bore is the cheapest and arguably more durable setup at the cost of about 2Lbs heavier and it’s a bit shorter being matched with a cordless drill(shorter flighting as well if that matters). And last the Strikemaster was designed for the drill, most expensive option but it is brand new and lightest. Only downside is there is no handle incase the drill was to fail, I could make one I’m a welder by trade, but I’m unsure how these composite drills work if you we’re to try by hand. Any input? Hoping to fish for another week or two here! Thanks!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New member...question on gear
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2020, 08:16 AM »
I've owned two finbores for to many years to count they cut fast and stay sharp,make sure they have swedish made blades. I have made adapters to mount them on my clam plate. I use my 4 inch one for perch and my 6 inch for everything else. My friends have k drills  which are lighter but not any faster drilling.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline LIVINtheLIFE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2020, 01:42 PM »
I've owned two finbores for to many years to count they cut fast and stay sharp,make sure they have swedish made blades. I have made adapters to mount them on my clam plate. I use my 4 inch one for perch and my 6 inch for everything else. My friends have k drills  which are lighter but not any faster drilling.

Do you happen to know the length of a FinBoreIII? Just the auger not including the handle. Trying to get a reference for using one with a drill compared to the Nils. Thanks.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2020, 02:02 PM »
The height of the Eskimo Pistol Bit and the StrikeMaster Lite Flight are pretty tall..think your standard power head auger drill unit..so hand drilling would most likely be awkward . Have you considered the Eskimo Pistol Bit and/or the HT E-drill ..both have Mora Style Blades ..easy to sharpen by hand with some practice .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2020, 03:44 PM »
Do you happen to know the length of a FinBoreIII? Just the auger not including the handle. Trying to get a reference for using one with a drill compared to the Nils. Thanks.

I just measured my 8" Finbore and the auger portion was 30" in length.  Great auger,  still using the original blades after 5 years of use. Good luck with your choice.
John

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2020, 07:24 PM »
Modified my 8" Finn bore 2 yrs ago and glad I did. The extension is 14"s and I can still use the crank handle if needed. I run it with my 20 volt dewalt . I did not even bother to break out the Strikemaster Electra 12000 that I loved for 10-11 seasons.

May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline LIVINtheLIFE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2020, 07:35 PM »
Well I’m yet undecided. I was going to pull the trigger on the used Nils auger, but I contacted Nils about getting parts, after all exchange/duties paid to Canada and shipping I would be looking at around $200CAD for a new handle, adapter plate and blade cover. That puts me at around $275CAD all in for the Nils, and that’s not including maintenance on the blades if need be, the owner sent me pictures and they look to be in okay shape and sharp, but they are rusty and look like they haven’t been used in hover 10 years. For right around $400CAD I can get a brand new Arctic Trekker from my local dealer.

Offline LIVINtheLIFE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2020, 07:42 PM »
The height of the Eskimo Pistol Bit and the StrikeMaster Lite Flight are pretty tall..think your standard power head auger drill unit..so hand drilling would most likely be awkward . Have you considered the Eskimo Pistol Bit and/or the HT E-drill ..both have Mora Style Blades ..easy to sharpen by hand with some practice .

I considered the heights for sure, luckily I’m 6’2” so it’s not that big of a concern. Nils and the Pistol Bit are same height if I recall. The Strikemaster Lite Flite with adapter installed is 45”(3” taller”).

Offline LIVINtheLIFE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Modified my 8" Finn bore 2 yrs ago and glad I did. The extension is 14"s and I can still use the crank handle if needed. I run it with my 20 volt dewalt . I did not even bother to break out the Strikemaster Electra 12000 that I loved for 10-11 seasons.

The more research I do on the FinBore and seeing how much easier they are to maintain/modify not to mention the price tag and how packable they are make them more appealing. Really the only cons in my situation is some say performance in comparison to the Nils and weight compared to the Strikemaster Lite Flite.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2020, 12:58 AM »
I bought a Clam Drill Plate and attached my Strikemaster Mora 6" directly to the Clam plate shaft no modification needed.  Then I attached a DeWalt drill to the Clam Plate and it worked great for me all Winter long.   I still carry the strikemaster handle in my sled, just in case.  I also carry a second battery.  See phoots.

;

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:47 AM »
The first decision I would make is the size you NEED to fish with. People that has gas augers are used to fishing a big hole, but a smaller drill reduces the torque and power you need from the drill, so you get more holes per battery. There is also less drag and jerk when you break through. People that use the bigger bits often add a Clam plate, more size and weight. Larger bits designed for power use also have a less aggressive edge, and tend to drill slower. Larger bits of course weigh more, and more stuff can fall in the hole. I saw a video where a guy lost his flasher down a 10 inch.
I use a 5 inch Lazer, and I can drill probably 200 holes in 18 inches of ice with a 9AH battery. I only charge every other day, and not all the way to max, so it should last forever!
If you can get by with a hand auger and an adapter, you should spend a lot less than the ones designed for power use. I don't know why, but those always cost more.

The drill portion is shorter, so you might need an extension where you are. I finally got a drill adapter from Ebay that replaces the chuck, so I don't worry about losing it. It is also about 12 inches long, which makes it long enough to drill 24 inches, but barely.

https://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/lazer-hand-auger-g200010?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpfHzBRCiARIsAHHzyZpCUQl8wbfMA-981uN5cE-wPR5KFvuYmbS6dmVQ_Iw4mYGijV2gUAkaAvKZEALw_wcB

Offline LIVINtheLIFE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2020, 05:23 PM »
I bought a Clam Drill Plate and attached my Strikemaster Mora 6" directly to the Clam plate shaft no modification needed.  Then I attached a DeWalt drill to the Clam Plate and it worked great for me all Winter long.   I still carry the strikemaster handle in my sled, just in case.  I also carry a second battery.  See phoots.

;

This is somewhat my goal but without a clam plate. Just not really for me I don’t care for the bulk of it, anytime I can get away without towing a sleigh behind my sled I take advantage. Im still undecided between my options, it’s warmed up significantly past few days, ice will be out in a week or two, at this point I’m just searching for sales/deals to get better set up for next season. All my options have pros/cons for what I want. But ultimately it boils down to if the Nils or Strikemaster Lite Flite are worth double the cost or more then the FinBore.

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:29 PM »
I bought the strikemaster lite flite this year and have not used my gas auger since.  I don’t know if it is worth the extra money over the finbore or not.  What is the weight difference between the 2, if it’s not much I would lean towards the cheaper version.  I paid $150 for the strikemaster and picked it up without having it shipped.  As happy as I am with it I will say that I have not used it in over 24” of ice yet.

Offline LIVINtheLIFE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2020, 08:00 PM »
I bought the strikemaster lite flite this year and have not used my gas auger since.  I don’t know if it is worth the extra money over the finbore or not.  What is the weight difference between the 2, if it’s not much I would lean towards the cheaper version.  I paid $150 for the strikemaster and picked it up without having it shipped.  As happy as I am with it I will say that I have not used it in over 24” of ice yet.

Thanks for the feedback. Up north here cheapest I found the Strikemaster was $225+13% tax and shipping, locally they were $249+13% but were out of stock very quickly. After contacting Nils about the replacement parts on the used auger/head it’s unfortunate cause it would’ve cost about the same or more after a blade sharpening as the Strikemaster. With the FinBore being half the cost or better still. I’m a big believer of the sayings “do it right the first time” and “quality over quantity”, not to say the FinBore is “cheap” in any way, but I also have a SwedeBore with the adapter in addition to my gas Eskimo, and I’ll admit the SwedeBore being in the same price range and similar design I’m not impressed with it either by hand or with a drill. All I’ve got to go by in comparing them is what I read on these forums or ask.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.