Author Topic: Frabill's New Arctic Siren Tip-up Light/Alarms Test!!!  (Read 7427 times)

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie
I just had a few days to test these on some tip-ups AND on my shore fishing spinning rods!
Now it's easy to use on most tip-ups but the pin that pulls out & activates the lights & or horn pulls out so EASILY "it activates a magnetic microswitch" that I took an ordinary paperclip and bent straight less 1 of the half-circles and position it below and forward of the first rod guide, pull the line down after taking in slack on slip-sinker rig, and then open the bail and place my line in an adjustable Du-Bro drop back release "2 for $4.95" and with very slight pressure the line pulls up & removes paperclip and lights & siren or lights only are activated before Du-Bro release releases line totally & free line the fish.

It is so sensitive even a 4" sucker was able to set off the alarm & not the drop-back!

Now I can leave the lantern, big bucket, rubberbands, toilet tissues, & paperclips at home!

We use to late fall shorefish with slip sinker rigs with shiners or suckers, cast out & retrive slack, tuck line under rubberband, open bail, attach toilet tissue square in front of rod with paperclip, position lantern behind rods, and put BIG bucket behind lantern "to block light from us" but see the toilet tissue squares like a LIGHTBULB from our closely parked car.

"WHEW" that'a alot of typing! But thats how we weathered nights in howling winds in LATE FALL & EARLY SPRING to get our share of shore WALLEYES!

This new gadget from Frabill is a heaven sent! Also left in my 20 degree below zero freezer overnight, activated light & horn and it ran full blast for nearly 2 hours on an already used 9 volt battery! YIPEE!

You fanatic ice & shore anglers will love these toys!

See them at www.frabill.com

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Frabill's New Arctic Siren Tip-up Light/Alarms Test!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:56 AM »
Neat gadget Lance!  Here's a quick link...

http://www.frabill.com/cgi-bin/frabill/1678?store=ice
TEAM ALASKA

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2006, 11:18 AM »
So I bought some of the Frabill Arctic Sirens. Now I only use Frabill Arctic Round tip ups, and NO WHERE does it say you can attach the sirens to the round tip ups, so I took a gamble and tried it....Success!!!

The siren attaches nicely to the small storage compartment on the tip ups, When putting the siren on be sure that the "pin hole" is towards the inside of the tip up, like in the pic.

I did test after test with the placement of the alligator clip to get a full release of the pin. I have found that if you place the clip on the "top" side of the flag. It worked about 49 out of 50 times. But even if the pin does not pull out all the way the flag does raise high enough to notice it is up.
Here is another pic.

I can not wait to get out and try these new toys ;D ;D ;D

p.s. They are LOUD!!!

p.s.s  The storage compartment is a great place to put the string for the pin when your not using them
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2006, 11:32 AM »
ill haveto get one of these...i usually find myself jigging in the shanty and forget about my tipups...

MikeThePike

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2006, 12:13 PM »
I was looking at them but wonder how well you'd be able to hear the siren over a strong wind. If anyone picks them up let us know how well they can be heard in use and not just testing at home.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2006, 12:33 PM »
That wireless system looked pretty good too...

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2006, 05:18 PM »
I have three..and love all of them

Big W
Big W

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2007, 06:40 AM »
I just had a few days to test these on some tip-ups AND on my shore fishing spinning rods!
Now it's easy to use on most tip-ups but the pin that pulls out & activates the lights & or horn pulls out so EASILY "it activates a magnetic microswitch" that I took an ordinary paperclip and bent straight less 1 of the half-circles and position it below and forward of the first rod guide, pull the line down after taking in slack on slip-sinker rig, and then open the bail and place my line in an adjustable Du-Bro drop back release "2 for $4.95" and with very slight pressure the line pulls up & removes paperclip and lights & siren or lights only are activated before Du-Bro release releases line totally & free line the fish.

It is so sensitive even a 4" sucker was able to set off the alarm & not the drop-back!

Now I can leave the lantern, big bucket, rubberbands, toilet tissues, & paperclips at home!

We use to late fall shorefish with slip sinker rigs with shiners or suckers, cast out & retrive slack, tuck line under rubberband, open bail, attach toilet tissue square in front of rod with paperclip, position lantern behind rods, and put BIG bucket behind lantern "to block light from us" but see the toilet tissue squares like a LIGHTBULB from our closely parked car.

"WHEW" that'a alot of typing! But thats how we weathered nights in howling winds in LATE FALL & EARLY SPRING to get our share of shore WALLEYES!

This new gadget from Frabill is a heaven sent! Also left in my 20 degree below zero freezer overnight, activated light & horn and it ran full blast for nearly 2 hours on an already used 9 volt battery! YIPEE!

You fanatic ice & shore anglers will love these toys!

See them at www.frabill.com

Well I have now used them on the ice and man you can hear the siren GREAT! And with my quick strike rigs the sooner I get to them the better! And have also used them before ice with rod & reels as described and just the lights and they worked perfectly!

A great 4 season gadget for strike detection!

Offline Lance Yates

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:12 AM »
I have three..and love all of them

Big W

Well now have used them on the ice & with neavy snow falls & they have been FLAWLESS!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:42 AM »
I've been testing them myself the past week or so. I like the idea of just moving it from tip up to slammer with the HD velcro supplied. The price seems reasonable but I have not had enough time to come to any solid conclusion.
One thing I did notice was the switch for Lights / Off / Lights & Siren  was way to lite/sensitive. If it slides in your sled or bumps anything it can go off easily. In the lights mode you wouldn't hear it and it would be draining the battery. I've already been using a large rubber band to go around the unit to help prevent this.

Here it is on my Jack Trap.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:50 PM »
I bought one as this years "gimic" item and was pleased at first. The problem I ran into was that it froze in place. i went to pick up my tip up and had a fish on. The clip was frozen and the pin had to be heated to get out.

It was a bad weather day. It started snoing that big wet snow for about 2 hours (yes - we were checking our tip ups) and then the temps dropped.

So, first time - last time. It went into the "I told you so" box of crap our group has accumulated over the years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.