Author Topic: Ice updates  (Read 164943 times)

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice updates
« on: Dec 06, 2010, 02:07 PM »
I suggested this last year and it seemed to go over well, if we all post ice thicknesses we may prevent the unecassary death of a fellow ice angler or their family. Can we please continue to post regularily any trouble spots we find out there and share that info with all. I'll begin by saying I was at Fairfax lake yesterday and someone actually drove on the ice. They went right at the boat launch and down the lake (all I saw was their tire tracks) it's a good thing they turned right because I went left and my first hole was a solid 13 inches, my second hole not ten feet further was only six inches, with flood water on top. Please people walk out and test first, no ice freezes consistently, we all saw it last year with Global warming our winters are not what they used to be and ice safety is becoming a huge issue. Remember your insurance will not cover your vehicle going through the ice, and if you go with it, who will recover you? Lets ALL be safe and have the best year of ice fishing ever!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline lokal

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice updates
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2010, 03:14 PM »
I saw two cars on Sylvan Lake yesterday parked together in front of the waterslides.  I haven't been on yet to check the ice.

Offline nicemustang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2010, 04:08 PM »
Burnstick 8-10"
Spray 8"
PCR 8"
Pine 8-10"
Birch - 7"

Offline burbotman14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Carson 8''

I don't live to fish, I fish to live.

Offline happyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:34 PM »
pigeon 8"
I promise to tell the trout,
the whole trout,and nothing but the trout,
so help me cod

Offline AxeMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Chump Lake 9" to 12" of good hard black ice.  Not much snow.  Fish biting not too bad but on the small side.

Offline cdnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:00 PM »
 Rattlesnake by Med. Hat six-eight inches a week ago, chinook came through since then so it may be a bit sketchy

Offline hoss223

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Pigeon Lake today had 12''-13'' of ice over 18 FOW.  There was couple of vehicles out on the ice by the provincial park boat launch, but I walked out to the drop off.

Offline Pike Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:19 PM »
Has anyone got a report on Gull Lake or Chain Lakes?

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Just got back from Ghost Reservoir. Got my first Burbot of the season. Ice is 12.5" thick, almost driveable, but no tracks yet.

:tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:03 AM »
Stayed close yesterday. (We only had a four hour window to get out)

In Calgary, Lake Mackenzie seemed to be about 12" or so. Lady at the booth said they would be safe enough to drive there Zam on it by next weekend, for sure.

8)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:15 AM »
Pigeon last week was 8 inches.  This week it is averaging 11-12 inches.  At least where I was.  This cold weather is doing the trick.   Should be drivable by next weekend at the earliest.  Still, it is early so it the ice will likely be variable.  I think it is safe as long as one has pre-drilled and knows the area.

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2010, 01:48 PM »
Personally,

My father raised me to never drive on the ice until she is 18 inches, and even then I go slow and stick close to the "roads"
Once she is close to 2 feet, Party Hardy but still I drive slow.. can cause a wake if you are tearing down the iceroads.

~Gone Fishing~

Offline lokal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:32 AM »
Had the jeep out on Sylvan yesterday,  ice was around 12" in two different places.

Offline crblair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I also wait until at least 15in to be on the safe side. I guess 5-6 trucks were on the ice at Coal on the weekend and they ice was only about8-10in! Yikes

Offline Bambino42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Was at Wab on saturday.....10-12" of solid black ice, caught 5 pike,biggest 33". Felt great to be out  8). maybe Pigeon this weekend....anyone know where to catch big pike there??  :tipup:
Wishin I was fishin

Offline oldtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Tight Lines"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Gull lake Dec 14 South end near Aspen, 16"-17" of ice. Lot's of people driving on the lake.

Offline calgarykings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:18 PM »
CALGARY and AREA: Ghost Lake (Cochrane): Yesterday visited to check the ice conditions. A couple of people ice fishing. Ice around 8-10 inches but some places I could see thin as much as 3 inches. May be wait a week if the temperature stays well below zero.
Chestermere: Recent closure from western headworks left the lake with very little water. May not be fishable this winter.
Glenmore Reservoir: Didnt see any one fishing. Thickness???

Offline calgarykings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Any updates on McGregor Reservoir??

Offline ORV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • where the hell did my tent go?? it was just here.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:32 AM »
any updates on pcr as well. (pine coulee)

thanks

orv.

Offline travishenderson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:25 PM »
What about Crawling valley anyone out that way yet.

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:36 PM »
chain lakes - 12"

people started driving cars last weekend

game warden has been out past two weekends....busted alot and handed out paperwork to many

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2010, 01:30 AM »
CALGARY and AREA: Ghost Lake (Cochrane): Yesterday visited to check the ice conditions. A couple of people ice fishing. Ice around 8-10 inches but some places I could see thin as much as 3 inches.
Where were you Fishing at Ghost? I was there last weekend and it was 12.5" thick. We were half way across to the Island from the boat launch. :tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline calgarykings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Where were you Fishing at Ghost? I was there last weekend and it was 12.5" thick. We were half way across to the Island from the boat launch. :tipup: :icefish:
Yes I saw you. You had the black truck. I will go there tomorrow (Sunday) at around noon.

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2010, 11:36 AM »
Ghost res is 16.5 " thick. They had a lot of vehicles on the ice near the camp ground filming a Laundry soap commercial. Good day's fishing with Shackless, 3 burbs and 3 lake trout between the two of us in less than 35' of water. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:14 PM »
16" of ice on Buffalo, a half dozen huts out on Scenic Sands, and people driving to their huts. I watched 4 full size SUV's and pickups drive right across the bay, I wouldn't advise it, but they seemed to make it across just fine.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline calgarykings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:03 PM »
McGregor atleast 12"..Couple of pickups driving over the ice near the boat launch (not recommended); about 1-1/2 inch of snow cover so be carefull. Couldn't catch anything but my fishfinder was giving me lots of alarms... ;)

Offline Oak Island

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:51 AM »
Pigeon and Wizard both over 15".  Wizard has a foot of blown snow on it.

Offline hooliganhodgie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:59 AM »
I found wizard to have a little less then pigeon about 13 right off the boat launch yesterday pigeon was definetly 15 off the provincial park. Good solid ice on both though. Fishing was pretty slow.

Offline pikehunter1989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2010, 02:55 PM »
anyone have a ice update for pinehurst?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.