Author Topic: First of the Year  (Read 1348 times)

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First of the Year
« on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:44 PM »
First real trip of the season today. Had 4 hours so I went to a local lake to shake of some rust and work through some gear - since it has been a while since I was out (last year never happened).  Saw an eagle soar by as I got to my planned spot, so the day was already a win.
Ice was safe - not great - but 5-6 inches of black with 3-4 crap ice on top. Top layer was hard so walking/pulling sled was relatively easy.

Was hoping to find some suspended crappie or some bass in this warm water lake or even a decent pickerel (got a near 5 lb one here in the fall).

Fished in 18 - 22 feet of water off a point hoping this would be a decent spot for the crappie.

Set out 4 traps a foot or so off the bottom, one of which was a new Jack Trap I picked up last year at the factor. Set up for some jigging as well with striker4 with a new ice transducer I never used last season.

Jack Trap with large shiner was the first to go off. Definitely very smooth compared to my other tip-ups.  Landed a 8-10 inch perch. Trap went off again after resetting it but missed that one.

Rain came in but stuck it out hoping it might help the bite. By the time I left I had caught 4-5 yellow perch in the 8-10 inch range, some dinks on the jigging rod and a decent dace/fallfish that I should have tossed it in the bait bucket to use as a large laker bait this weekend.

Didn't catch anything really pic worthy but here are some pics anyway... since that is what we need more of on this site.  Hopefully I'll have better pics later this weekend. For reference that is a 10" hole.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: First of the Year
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:52 AM »
Great post! Thanks. Congrats on your day
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:54 AM »
Solid report. Nice that you finally got out and saw some action.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:01 AM »
We can change  your name to Rustonice.. nah, glad you got to shake off the rust Dennis.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:03 AM »
Nice work Dennis, after a long hiatus it must felt nice getting on the ice.  Good luck this weekend bud
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:28 AM »
Way to get after them Dennis. Maybe we will see you soon.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2023, 05:33 AM »
Great job getting out there at least you avoided a skunk!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:36 AM »
Its definitely been a weird season, I'm going to guess that my usual haunts are done for the season after this week. I may be too, unless I can find time to head up north. My motto this year is I'll take what I can get and appreciate that I have what I have. Good job on icing those yellows.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:42 AM »
Must've felt good to finally get back out there
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:45 AM »
Congrats! Let your season begin!

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2023, 07:17 AM »
Great post! Good luck this weekend.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2023, 07:56 AM »
First real trip of the season today. Had 4 hours so I went to a local lake to shake of some rust and work through some gear - since it has been a while since I was out (last year never happened).  Saw an eagle soar by as I got to my planned spot, so the day was already a win.
Ice was safe - not great - but 5-6 inches of black with 3-4 crap ice on top. Top layer was hard so walking/pulling sled was relatively easy.

Was hoping to find some suspended crappie or some bass in this warm water lake or even a decent pickerel (got a near 5 lb one here in the fall).

Fished in 18 - 22 feet of water off a point hoping this would be a decent spot for the crappie.

Set out 4 traps a foot or so off the bottom, one of which was a new Jack Trap I picked up last year at the factor. Set up for some jigging as well with striker4 with a new ice transducer I never used last season.

Jack Trap with large shiner was the first to go off. Definitely very smooth compared to my other tip-ups.  Landed a 8-10 inch perch. Trap went off again after resetting it but missed that one.

Rain came in but stuck it out hoping it might help the bite. By the time I left I had caught 4-5 yellow perch in the 8-10 inch range, some dinks on the jigging rod and a decent dace/fallfish that I should have tossed it in the bait bucket to use as a large laker bait this weekend.

Didn't catch anything really pic worthy but here are some pics anyway... since that is what we need more of on this site.  Hopefully I'll have better pics later this weekend. For reference that is a 10" hole.

Great post!
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2023, 08:55 AM »
great post glad to see you got out. everytime on the ice is good imo just good to be out and always learning something new. seeing eagle is a bonus.
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:16 PM »
Great report Dennis, glad you were able to shake off the cob webs with some fish.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:22 PM »
Glad you got out there, good report and good action!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2023, 04:26 AM »
Thanks guys.... trying to fit a whole season in during this week.  Found safe, wet, windy ice on the big lake Friday... but no fish. Wind was howling out there... flip over almost flipped over twice... made it mostly un-usable. 

Still trying to learn the big lake... each outing a chance to figure more out. Another eagle sighting in the books, nice to see how they are way more common than they used to be.

Be safe today

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.