Author Topic: Duracell batteries  (Read 1239 times)

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
Duracell batteries
« on: Jan 29, 2023, 03:16 PM »
Why do Duracell batteries leak more often then Energizers? I used to be a Duracell fanboy, but the last couple of years every time I have a leaky battery its a Duracell.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Duracell batteries
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2023, 04:14 PM »
The 6v or 12v SLAs? Or you mean like AA?

I've given up on buying AA or AAA batteries, I buy rechargeable ones online. Can usually find a higher capacity, and less waste to worry about. As far as the bigger ones go, well I don't know anything about them, but it seems like lithium is the way of the future. Hopefully they're a little less prone to corrosion and leaking
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2023, 05:46 PM »
Yep, AA. I have a bunch of Eneloop rechargeables too. They work well. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:05 PM »
All my AAs and AAAs for "sporting use" are Energizer Lithium. No leak, no discharge on the shelf and much better performance in the cold. Indoor stuff (remotes, etc.) get whatever is on sale. If they are regularly used  leakage in minimal to non-existent.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:29 PM »
I use rechargeables as well in all the sizes. Bought these last week. Seem to last longer than the Energizers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08B4SCCPY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2023, 07:53 PM »
I use rechargeables as well in all the sizes. Bought these last week. Seem to last longer than the Energizers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08B4SCCPY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Yeah I'm a big fan of the EBL brand batteries. I buy their 1100mah AAA and 2800mah AA batteries, last way longer than the energizer and Duracell you find at the store. Have had some for years and they still work strong

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2023, 09:17 AM »
Haven't had the chance for the Duracell's to leak as they don't seem to be lasting as long anymore!  Seems like I go thru them alot faster than before.  May need to look into either the lithium or rechargeable units as others noted.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:56 AM »
I buy rechargeables where I can. If that's not an option I get the Industrial rates ones. Usually Energizer Industrials. They're typically better about leaking than typical AA's.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:45 PM »
FYI.....  Costco/Kirkland batteries are made by Duracell too..  I also have had extremely bad luck with Duracells/Kirkland batteries.  I recently went and bought many Energizers for that reason, but may need to look into the rechargeables...  thx..

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:23 PM »
For you guys that are using rechargeable batteries. How long are you getting out of them if say you are are using them in a headlamp or whatever else?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:44 PM »
For you guys that are using rechargeable batteries. How long are you getting out of them if say you are are using them in a headlamp or whatever else?

In my flashlight and headlamp which are AA and AAA respectively,  I can get several hours. I also have an LED lantern that takes 4 D cells that gets (approx)...

1500 lumens (high) for 2.5 hours
900 lumens (medium) for 3.5 hours
500 lumens (low) for 8 hours
90 lumens (very low) for 72 hours
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:53 PM »
I got tired of duracells ruining my stuff. Every one leaked. Now I use Eneloop rechargeables or enegizer in things that can't take a rechargeable

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:56 PM »
I have had too many Duracell batteries leak. Switched to Energizer and have not had a leak for several years now.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2023, 04:46 PM »
I must be lucky, Duracells work great for me.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:30 PM »

A couple of my lighter-powered headlamps-a couple evenings fishing out of them. My old power-hungry headlamps, maybe 8 hours. But those things suck and I barely use them. I need some newer, quality headlamps.

I generally use them a variety of things at home: Xbox controllers computer mouse, TV remote. They last insanely long in those. I keep a pack with my fishinhg gear for my uv flashlight or to change out if my headlamp craps out, just in case.

I think a standard AAA is like 800mah, I bought the 1100mah, and a AA is like 1800 mah, I bought 2000 and 2800. The 2800 are a bit bigger diameter, so sometimes they don't fit in some flashlights and small electronics, but the 2000s do and definitely last at least as long as store bought non-rechargeable. I've never done a head-to-head test. I've had some for years and they still work great, and it's nice to not have to run out to the store all the time

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:50 AM »
I had two D cell Duracells leak in my aerator last winter.  It was the one that sits on top of the Frabill Magnum Bait Station.  That sucker cost $25 to replace.  Never again! I have learned my lesson.  It’s Energizer for me now.

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2023, 08:41 AM »
I feel Duracells have gone down hill in the past 5 years.  My trail cams will last about a week with Duracells in them.  I put energizers in them and they last for months.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.