The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: In Case You’re Bored Waiting For Ice!  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
In Case You’re Bored Waiting For Ice!
« on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:36 AM »
 ;D  I don’t think Climate and Fish Have Politics.  ;)2 :woot: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

WASHINGTON/ANCHORAGE (Reuters) - Climate change is causing chaos in the Bering Sea, home to one of America's largest fisheries, an example of how rising temperatures can rapidly change ecosystems important to the economy, U.S. federal government scientists said in a report on Tuesday.

Rising temperatures in the Arctic have led to decreases in sea ice, record warm temperatures at the bottom of the Bering Sea and the northward migration of fish species such as Pacific cod, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA, said in its 2019 Arctic Report Card.

While the changes are widespread in the Arctic, the effect on wildlife is acute in the eastern shelf of the Bering Sea, which yields more than 40% of the annual U.S. fish and shellfish catch.

"The changes going on have the potential to influence the kinds of fish products you have available to you, whether that’s fish sticks in the grocery store or shellfish at a restaurant," said Rick Thoman, a meteorologist in Alaska and one of the report's authors.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2019-12-10/climate-change-hitting-top-us-fishery-in-the-arctic-noaa

"It is not a moment too soon: emissions would need to start falling next year by 7.6% annually and continue at that rate for a decade in order for the world to have any chance of hitting the widely accepted targets for stopping global warming. Thunberg’s wake-up call is a necessary jolt. It is up to us all to meet it with solutions.”

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2019-greta-thunberg-choice/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=person-of-the-year&utm_term=_&linkId=78763535&fbclid=IwAR2JDrnoMtaOF3dPDdMDrj36v0okPgc3H36oIETJTQEo1ibBdoCzgebPogM
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: In Case You’re Bored Waiting For Ice!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:09 AM »
LOTS of good news!!!

"A new study found that Greenland's ice is melting faster than expected, with researchers forecasting sea levels could rise 67 centimetres by 2100.

Unless measures are taken, millions of people will be “devastated” by coastal floods, researchers said.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/melting-greenland-ice-could-leave-400-million-homeless-by-end-of-century-185021656.html
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:21 AM »
We are spinning slowly into the sun. Millimeters at a time as we get closer the gravity is stronger until we get sucked in or the sun explodes and destroys us all. Either way it's getting hot

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:25 AM »
Maybe if we all recycle our Buddy Heaters we could save all the fish in the Bearing Sea.

Let's ask Greta Thunberg.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Ocean waters have been rising yearly since the end of the ice age. I find it interesting that people actually believe they can stop it... actually it's frightening.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:10 AM »
The worst thing about the climate change message is that it weaponizes the weather.

Imagine the power if people actually believed (like Greta Thunberg) that a Hurricane is YOUR FAULT.

Blame is given to specific individuals, companies and countries for very blizzard and flood is attributed.

The bad weather is YOUR FAULT.

I don't dispute that the climate might be changing. It has ALWAYS been changing.

I dispute whether we are smart enough to infallibly assign cause/effect.

But what do I know, apparently a teenage girl is smart enough to assign specific blame and be held as a credible witness for much of this intelligence-challenged media and masses.

Stupid people...

Rant  :woot:  Rant   :cookoo:  Rant  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

(the moderator will probably assign this to the grumpy old men room...I am one on this topic)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2019, 08:54 AM »
The worst thing about the climate change message is that it weaponizes the weather.

Imagine the power if people actually believed (like Greta Thunberg) that a Hurricane is YOUR FAULT.

Blame is given to specific individuals, companies and countries for very blizzard and flood is attributed.

The bad weather is YOUR FAULT.

I don't dispute that the climate might be changing. It has ALWAYS been changing.

I dispute whether we are smart enough to infallibly assign cause/effect.

But what do I know, apparently a teenage girl is smart enough to assign specific blame and be held as a credible witness for much of this intelligence-challenged media and masses.

Stupid people...

Rant  :woot:  Rant   :cookoo:  Rant  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

(the moderator will probably assign this to the grumpy old men room...I am one on this topic)
HAHAHA! Weather is NOT Climate. Climate change has acceralted since humans began flooding the atmosphere with greenhouse gases.

Ocean waters have been rising yearly since the end of the ice age. I find it interesting that people actually believe they can stop it... actually it's frightening.

What’s frightening is some folks don’t look at the data and facts to understand the accelerant issues.

To Gunflint who said, "But what do I know, apparently a teenage girl is smart enough to assign specific blame and be held as a credible witness for much of this intelligence-challenged media and masses.” Humans figured out fluorocarbons were damaging the ozone layer, assigned blame, discounted the use of flourocarbons nearly planet wide and mitigated the problem. This climate issue is on a larger scale , yet fixable for the long run in the same way, WHILE CREATING A WHOLE NEW SET OF ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY AND CLIMATE NEUTRAL OR ENHANCING TECH AND JOBS. THE ISSUE THERE IS THAT IT UPSETS THE STATUS QUO MONEY FLOW AND TAKES A LOT OF CONTROL OF REVENUE STREAM AWAY FOR THE POWER HOLDERS OF TODAY. THIS IS WHAT WHERE THE FUTURE CONFLICTS WITH THE UNIFORMED AND ENTRENCHED PAST :)   :o :woot: :cookoo: :icefish:

It is well to consider actual science and data from these that live in the stuff! Heck! you truck, phone, sonar, boat, and fake fox
news depends on it! hehehe

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2019, 09:06 AM »
HAHAHA! Weather is NOT Climate. Climate change has acceralted since humans began flooding the atmosphere with greenhouse gases.

I understand climate change isn't weather. That was my point. The idiots in the media certainly DO blame weather on individuals, companies and countries. It happens all the time.

Please understand that I am strongly against pollution. The trouble with the climate change argument is that C02 is now pollution, a sin. You pollute simply by the fact you exist and breathe. All C02 is now a sin.

Therefore, the pollutants that are VERY bad for the environment (like forever chemicals) do not get the attention that they need because the climate change zealots are chasing cow farts. Short sighted and stupid by changing priorities and confusing  the stupid masses and dumb little girls that speak for them.

Rant Rant Rant  :cookoo:
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Slow spiralling death

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2019, 09:17 AM »
 :o

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2019, 10:09 AM »
I understand climate change isn't weather. That was my point. The idiots in the media certainly DO blame weather on individuals, companies and countries. It happens all the time.

Please understand that I am strongly against pollution. The trouble with the climate change argument is that C02 is now pollution, a sin. You pollute simply by the fact you exist and breathe. All C02 is now a sin.

Therefore, the pollutants that are VERY bad for the environment (like forever chemicals) do not get the attention that they need because the climate change zealots are chasing cow farts. Short sighted and stupid by changing priorities and confusing  the stupid masses and dumb little girls that speak for them.

Rant Rant Rant  :cookoo:

I AM glad to have distracted some degree of boredom!  ;D :thumbsup: :icefish:

It’s actually cow burps.

Human and other breathing and photosynthesis are neutral. It the adding of billions of tons of CO2, Methane, etc that creates the acceleration of warming. The short sightedness comes into play with those that look at the short term gain and weather as opposed to evidenced in long  term trends in climate current profit models dependent on old tech. A computer used t take up a city block. Now it can sit in your hand and is gigantically y more powerful. Horseless carriages were once thought to be a joke. Once we shed olde ideas, methods and power barons, we can move forward to a better future.

All my household, electronics and StrikeMaster 40V are now powered by my off-grid solar panels!  :flex: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2019, 11:53 AM »

Please keep all Political figures and /or talk off this site!!!!!!!! Trying to educate ourselves with clamfamers and others "scientific facts" and always have to run into someone who brings politics or political name calling into the argument.
We come to the ice shanty site to hopefully get away for the politically non sense of BOTH parties and talk about the great sport of ice fishing!!!!
Some great reads clam farmer

Lets get back to ice fishing shall we!!!!!!!

smitty :tipup:

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:21 PM »
I try not to get too political but when someone else says its the media's fault for making things worse by blaming corporate America, I have to reply with the facts.  The facts are deregulation is hurting our ecology and our country!  Without using his name, "OUR" President is the fault for de-regulation, which is further polluting our air and water.  I am very sorry I called the kettle black, I guess we are suppose to just continue doing what we're doing and pray!  Hopefully GOD will answer our prayers.  I also hope you don't have a problem with me using GOD's name, on our ice fishing site!  Without him answering our prayers, our future generations will have to read about ice fishing because they won't be able to experience it for themselves.  I will no longer give my political opinion on this site.  Instead I WILL continue to pray!!!

Thank you, much appreciated.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:32 PM »

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:59 PM »
I’m sitting here in the woods against a big tree with my muzzle loader. Good to see thoughtful response! Nice afternoon! One 3” antler and I’m outa here! I AM itching for enough ice!!!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:59 PM »
I’m sitting here in the woods against a big tree with my muzzle loader. Good to see thoughtful response! Nice afternoon! One 3” antler and I’m outa here! I AM itching for enough ice!!!!

Good luck...I wish I were.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:32 PM »
 Gunflint sounds good , perch will love bloody meat of deer dice it up and put hand ful in a small plastic bag better than Night crawlers

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:34 PM »
Gunflint sounds good , perch will love bloody meat of deer dice it up and put hand ful in a small plastic bag better than Night crawlers

I love backstraps marinated and grilled...to heck with the perch.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:36 PM »
That stuff around the bullet holes save it youll see

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:37 PM »

I'll be up in the Eastbrook area just before new years can't wait got a good crew heading up for ice fishing and pond hockey!!!

smitty :tipup:

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:41 PM »
I did my part I bought a electric ion auger and this year running cordless drill and strike master elite . Hope it helps  ???
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2019, 05:55 PM »
"By the last week of July 2019, the rate of melting reached levels that scientists with the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) had projected for the year 2070 — in a pessimistic scenario.”

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)'a annual Arctic Report Card, which describes how the Arctic has changed each year, came out this week.

The report warns that global sea level rise is on track with one of climate scientists' worst-case predictions.

Ice melt due to climate change contributes to sea-level rise, which leads to flooding in coastal areas.

This year is expected to be the second or third warmest year on record, while average temperatures from the last decade are on track to be the highest ever recorded.

In the last decade, an average of 252 billion tons of Antarctic ice melted per year. In Greenland, an average 280 billion tons of ice melted per year — a seven-fold increase from the 1990s.

Combined, ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica contain more than 99% of the planet's fresh water.

In 2019 we saw what The World Meteorological Organization called "unprecedented" wildfires, flooding, and food insecurity for humans and wildlife.

While polar bears struggle to find prey across thinning ice, reindeer food is getting trapped under ice thanks to early snow and freezing rain.

Here's how the last decade of global warming has ravaged the Arctic.

In 2012, almost all of Greenland's ice sheet was exposed to melting for the first time in documented history.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/29-photos-show-climate-change-201400218.html

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2019, 06:08 PM »
"By the last week of July 2019, the rate of melting reached levels that scientists with the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) had projected for the year 2070 — in a pessimistic scenario.”

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)'a annual Arctic Report Card, which describes how the Arctic has changed each year, came out this week.

The report warns that global sea level rise is on track with one of climate scientists' worst-case predictions.

Ice melt due to climate change contributes to sea-level rise, which leads to flooding in coastal areas.

This year is expected to be the second or third warmest year on record, while average temperatures from the last decade are on track to be the highest ever recorded.

In the last decade, an average of 252 billion tons of Antarctic ice melted per year. In Greenland, an average 280 billion tons of ice melted per year — a seven-fold increase from the 1990s.

Combined, ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica contain more than 99% of the planet's fresh water.

In 2019 we saw what The World Meteorological Organization called "unprecedented" wildfires, flooding, and food insecurity for humans and wildlife.

While polar bears struggle to find prey across thinning ice, reindeer food is getting trapped under ice thanks to early snow and freezing rain.

Here's how the last decade of global warming has ravaged the Arctic.

In 2012, almost all of Greenland's ice sheet was exposed to melting for the first time in documented history.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/29-photos-show-climate-change-201400218.html

Here is the truth about polar bears. https://www.thegwpf.org/as-polar-bear-numbers-increase-gwpf-calls-for-re-assessment-of-endangered-species-status/
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:40 AM »
Here is the truth about polar bears. https://www.thegwpf.org/as-polar-bear-numbers-increase-gwpf-calls-for-re-assessment-of-endangered-species-status/
“Planetary physics require the world to warm as greenhouse gas concentrations rise, so without greenhouse gas mitigation, the ice will continue to melt. For an animal dependent on sea ice to survive, the prospects are not good. As the ice decline continues, the plight of the polar bear only can worsen.

But the most important point is that whatever happened in the past is really irrelevant. Polar bear habitat is disappearing due to global warming. Even the most careful on-the-ground management doesn't matter if polar bears don't have the required habitat.

Polar bears depend on the sea ice surface to efficiently catch their seal prey. A shorter duration of ice cover over their productive hunting areas means less opportunity to hunt. A reduction in sea ice has been statistically linked to reduced stature and weight in polar bears and to lower survival rates of cubs. So, it doesn't really matter that hunting is now largely under control or that we know a lot about other impacts people might have on bears. Without habitat, polar bears will disappear no matter what else we do. If a farmer has 100 cows out in a pasture, and every year he goes out and paves over some of his pasture, pretty soon he won't have enough habitat to support 100 cows. And, each time he paves over a little more land, his remaining land will hold fewer cattle. There may be some short-term enhancements of the remaining habitat that will forestall the inevitable. But, when his whole pasture is paved there will be no cows! Declining habitat now and the assurance it will decline in the future is why polar bears were listed as a threatened species. Discussions about how many bears may have lived in the past before and after hunting quotas have no bearing on this new situation.”  https://polarbearsinternational.org/research/research-qa/are-polar-bear-populations-increasing-in-fact-booming/

"Today
Today, polar bears are among the few large carnivores that are still found in roughly their original habitat and range--and in some places, in roughly their natural numbers.

Although most of the world's 19 populations have returned to healthy numbers, there are differences between them. Some are stable, some seem to be increasing, and some are decreasing due to various pressures.

Status of the polar bear populations
Updated 2019 with data from the IUCN Polar Bear Specialists Group

4 populations are in decline
2 populations are increasing
5 populations are stable
8 populations are data-deficient (information missing or outdated)

https://arcticwwf.org/species/polar-bear/population/

"In the future
By 2040, scientists predict that only a fringe of ice will remain in Northeast Canada and Northern Greenland when all other large areas of summer ice are gone. This "Last Ice Area" is likely to become important for polar bears and other life that depends on ice.

A projection of sea ice in the archipelago, supported by WWF, shows that much of the region is facing significant ice loss in the coming decades - with potentially serious consequences for polar bears.
Global polar bear numbers are projected to decline by 30% by 2050.”

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:48 AM »
Just one of many who know it's all political .

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2019, 06:11 AM »
This guy couldn’t smash an egg in the real world! HAHAHA YOU have posted this before and is still a bunch of blasted gas and utterly debunked by those who are actually climate scientists. Why do you quote one non climate scientist over again nd disregard the real stuff? The only reason any of this is political is due the the fact those in power control you and the narrative you like to believe in order to keep the power and money flowing to them in utter disregard of the future for our kids grandkids and theirs. LOOK AT REAL SCIENCE BLASTER AND CHECK OUT THIS VID’S REVIEWS BY THE REAL PEOPLE!!!

Arctic ice is diminishing annually. Gulf of Maine water is warming to the detriment of many traditionally harvested species. 60% of all animal life on the planet has disappeared in the past 45 years. In the United State ALONE, there are 3 billion less birds. We have just seen another year of the highest planetary temperatures ever recorded.

Here is one example of your boy’s ignorance. There are many other articles and studies by the real climate people if you tried to look:

"Giaever proceeded to question the accuracy of the surface temperature record, ultimately asking:

"How can you measure the average temperature of the Earth?  I don't think that's possible."

Unfortunately this simply displays an ignorance regarding the surface temperature record, whose accuracy has been confirmed time and time again, and which is also consistent with lower troposphere temperature measurements, as illustrated in Figure 1.
Giaever proceeded to question the accuracy of the surface temperature record, ultimately asking:

"How can you measure the average temperature of the Earth?  I don't think that's possible."

Unfortunately this simply displays an ignorance regarding the surface temperature record, whose accuracy has been confirmed time and time again, and which is also consistent with lower troposphere temperature measurements, as illustrated in Figure 1.

Glenn Tramblyn has answered Giaever's question in great detail in his four part series Of Averages & Anomalies, and Kevin C also had an excellent and detailed post on recent temperature measurements in The GLOBAL global warming signal.  The answers to these questions are out there for those who are willing to spend more than a few hours on Google searches, and it is not constructive to give presentations on subjects without first doing such basic research.  We are again left wondering why Giaever was asked to give a presentation to Nobel Laureates on a subject on which he has no expertise and has not done even the most basic research.”

This article has references and links you can follow to get a clue, GB

https://skepticalscience.com/ivar-giaever-nobel-physicist-climate-pseudoscientist.html

;D
Just one of many who know it's all political .

60% of all animal life on the planet has disappeared in the past 45 years. In the United State ALONE, there are 3 billion less birds.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:22 AM »
IGNORE 👍👍 Great feature on this forum 👍👍

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Copy and paste

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:20 AM »
This threads bound to get locked lol.

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Just so funny when I read this crap about about climate change  ::) First it was the world will be devastated within 10 years now it's 100 years. Now that they can't prove climate change with weather now it has nothing to do with weather  ;D Are people still building houses and businesses on the coast? Are banks and corporate investors still loaning and investing money on those projects? Why would they make such stupid decisions?  ;D Why would the Obama's buy a 12 million dollar house on the coast? But isn't he one of the greatest thinkers of all time?  :roflmao:

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2019/12/13/greenland-ice-melt-accelerating-says-jonathan-amos-conveniently-forgetting-what-he-wrote-in-2003/

https://www.climatedepot.com/

https://judithcurry.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.