The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: gotta get me a drone?  (Read 818 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
gotta get me a drone?
« on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:44 PM »
anyone use one yet? got alot of daydreams here with all sorts of ideas. only hard water gonna chase away the dreams.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: gotta get me a drone?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:57 PM »
JIGGIN- has a thread, Newfound Circus Season 2017, he post a lot of drone footage...

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=339236.20
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:41 PM »
i picked up a dji mavic recently.
base price is 1k$. extra batteries are 90$ each. recommend buying at least 2 extras. amazon is a good choice for some of the gear. dji has some new packages available that include 2 spare batteries, but white in color.
folds up to be about the size of a water bottle.
i added performance props (gold tips) to make it a little quieter and give it longer flight times.
top speed is 40 mph out of the box. can be modified to do 60 mph. using a pc (windows only).
run time is 27 minute. hovering uses more battery than moving.
max distance is nearly 5 miles.
faa registration is 5$. easy to do and they are not strict at all about the information they get, unless a claim is made. don't lie to them tho.

more on mavic drones here
https://mavicpilots.com/

the mavic pro and the mavic platinum is the most advanced drone today. it is not the best camera on board, so you need to know why you want a drone before buying. if you want to lift cargo then the dji phantom pro 4 is the way to go unless you want to spend thousands on one. if you want to do that then look at the dji inspire 2. base package is 24k$ w/o camera.

if you want to race them, you can get started for about 350$. they can do 150 mph and flown with virtual reality glasses as can the mavic.

when used in freezing temps, you'll want to allow the batteries and motors to warm up before flight. just use manual take off but let it sit on the launch pad.
you can buy insurance for liability on them.
they are restricted to not be able to take off at all with-in 3 miles of certain airspace and you have to ask for permission between the 3 mile to the 5 miles no fly zone and let air space towers (if they have maned air space towers) know your flight times and altitude and distances with-in those zones. inside the 3 mile zone, you have to be in a club or under instruction with permission to fly.
i just use my pc and login to tell an app that i will be flying. it gives you 3 days permission. i have no maned air space tower to inform about my flights. they can go up to 5 miles up too, but are preset to stop at 400'. lots of restrictions are in place for them, but they are fun. they fly like they are on string when you let go of the controls.
these are unmanned air craft and are treated as such by law.

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:27 PM »
If you want to know what lure I’m using to pound the walleye just walk over and ask...no use flying that drone over my head while I’m fishing..lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:31 PM »
department of natural resources have been using drones from shore to check people.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.