The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: florocarbon  (Read 3061 times)

Offline iceauger57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: florocarbon
« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:35 PM »
bought some Berkley vanish to try out on my tip ups tomorrow used a improved clinch knot tested it out seem to hold like the simplicity of this knot some of these new knots take to much time and effort to tie I stick with what has worked for me for years :tipup:

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Striper nut,
Every post I come across you make I read intently. You definitely know your stuff my friend.
I second that ,nice to have him posting on here.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:59 AM »
I agree with what stripernut is saying I use the improved clinch or polymer and I grab my hooks with needlenose and pull pretty good on them after wetting and pulling tight I don't leave tagend sticking out or do anything to it have had a few bight offs but no knot failure

Offline iceauger57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:46 PM »
read on the Berkley vanish floro package it state make sure you lube the knot well before drawing knot tight very important with floro

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:36 AM »
i use 20 get alot more hits and lose some

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #35 on: Mar 12, 2014, 01:30 PM »
well guys im p------  disappointed! had a pike or toothy critter cut line like right now,its as bad as mono? never even felt his weight? was using 25# seaguar,what recommendation for # test I should use to eliminate bite offs,thanks
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jonesy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:37 PM »
for now I would write that one off as bad luck bro. I have caught alot of pike and a few muskys on flouro and have had few problems with my line getting cut. My tipups are spooled with 17/20 and even 10 lb

icewagon

« Reply #37 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I use south bend invisa-leader it is a very fine steel leader about the size of #6 mono nearly invisable in water and I use it on all my tip ups for bass and toothy criters they will never bit it off and u will get more flags than heavy mono or flo carb . :tipup:

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #38 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:38 PM »
thanks, will try again maybe I set the hook to hard like cross their eyes,you should see dominator set the hook he actually grunts  :o goota get a video of him. never snapped the Dacron in 35 years might move up in # test next year GOD willing as this year almost in da bag.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:50 PM »
On the subject of florocarbon,can someone tell me if there is any difference between what is referred to as open or warm water line and ice fishing line,
or are we paying more for less yardage ??   

Offline Rugg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I was told that it was the way it was made.....ice line was made to repell water to prevent icing.....but I'm not to sure Ive always used floro with good success 

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 13, 2014, 05:40 AM »
I was wondering the same thing now that I was looking at line for the upcoming open water season.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Mono absorbs water, Floro does not. Monos strength is on the outside edge, so if nicked it losses a higher percentage of strength then floro, which holds it strength all the way through. Some things to keep in mind when comparing the two...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.