The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: trapping bait in pennsylvania  (Read 5905 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
trapping bait in pennsylvania
« on: Nov 03, 2009, 01:39 PM »
anyone trappin bait in pa? any tips or spots will be appreciated also show your tanks for reference to others thankx
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Sgt. Pepper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: trapping bait in pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2009, 02:24 PM »
my buddy does it. he usually goes to a feeder stream of a main creek, finds a decent pool and throws his traps in.  from what he has told me, a couple feet this way or that could be  the difference between a full trap and getting skunked. you want to get your trap holes inline with the current. he also says the the best bait he has found is plain white bread smashed into dough balls the size of golf balls.

he usually goes a couple times right before ice up, and we never have a problem with big bait after that.
forever in debt for your priceless advice

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2009, 11:01 AM »
thankx sgt pepper ill bet up your way could get all kinds of minnows   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:15 AM »
I've never had much luck trapping bait around me. I know theres chubs in the creek as I can catch plenty with the flyrod and tiny nymphs but just cant catch them in the traps  ??? ???  is the same way all summer long when the chubs are everywhere in the creek too.

I'll be getting my tanks set up this weekend hopefully and will get some pics up once I do.
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2009, 05:53 PM »
with the gas prices it might be cheaper to buy bulk bait by the pound try to trap while im out need to try ouy roncarrs idea      mo

Offline icin_eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Pennsylvania Outdoor Life (CH 16) is doing their next episode on trapping bait in PA.  It's on Monday at 7:30 instead of the normal Sunday night broadcast this coming week.

You have to find the deepest holes in the creek this time of year to find the bait.  A mud bottom helps too.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2009, 08:49 PM »
Pennsylvania Outdoor Life (CH 16) is doing their next episode on trapping bait in PA.  It's on Monday at 7:30 instead of the normal Sunday night broadcast this coming week.

You have to find the deepest holes in the creek this time of year to find the bait.  A mud bottom helps too.

thankz i need to get mofish jr to help the olman out where ya get channel 16
mo

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:36 PM »
mo you of all people dont need help trapping bait, haha you probably have enough for the season already.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2009, 02:51 PM »
When it comes to the smaller sized baitfish, like fatheads, I just buy them by the pound and keep them in my minnow tanks.
For larger sized baitfish, that I use for pike and walleyes, I catch them on a rod. A small #14 hook, 4lb line and a waxie as bait, in a local trout stream and then keep them in my bait tanks.
It takes some time, but gives me something to do in November and saves a boatload of money on big baits. 6 to 10 inch baits get expensive, even if you can find a place to buy them.

Never had much luck with catching decent sized minnows in a trap.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2009, 03:59 PM »

This topic should be of interest to all PA ice fishermen.

Offline iceman clem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch all kind of fish big and small
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:20 PM »
if you can find a feeder stream to the river just before freezup the shinners will be there spawning or something i not sure why but i use a minnow netand put it down and walk up the stream get all kinds and all sizes end of nov -2nd week DEC

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:16 PM »
So far this thread has been about where to look for minnows in a crick but but not too much about what kinds of cricks to look for and what ones to avoid. Also, aside from saving $$ I what are the compelling reasons to get out in your boots and slosh around trappin your own minnows? Wild caught bait is probably one of the biggest advantages that you can have if you are fishing for big game fish through the ice. The health and stamina of a wild bait out shines that of the pond raised, trucked, and tank kept, store bought variety. The species of wild that you catch will be more closely in tune with what the fish in you local waters are accustomed to seeing, tasting, smelling and feeding on. You with me?

Catch Pennsylvania Outdoor Life on Monday, the 16th at 7:30 for the rest of the story.   ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:20 PM »
anyone trappin bait in pa? any tips or spots will be appreciated also show your tanks for reference to others thankx
mo

Just remember, according to law, you can only use the bait trapped from one body of water on that same body of water..ie can't trap minnows at Lily Lake and use them as bait at Lackawanna State Park....you know what I'm trying to say

Offline Sgt. Pepper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:25 PM »
thats nonsense. the only regulaton is for VHS infected waters.
forever in debt for your priceless advice

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2009, 03:52 PM »
I apologize...you are right...they must have rescinded that law...ignore my last post

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:08 PM »
yah i was going to say when did they pass that!!!!

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I seem to remember reading about 2 lakes and one of them was Arthur that you can't take baitfish trapped from them to another lake. They must be used in the lakes they were caught in. Or maybe it was just a bad dream! I will look through the regs book to see if I can find it.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Could not find what I was looking for but I did find this.  http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/bait.html.
Make sure you keep you reciept if you have more than 50 bait fish.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2009, 09:29 AM »
I got the tank (70Gal Stainless Steel), filter, air pump and all the stuff but didn't get my bait tank together. I have one trap and got the materials to build at least two more. going to give trapping and the bait tank a try this year even though I don't use minnows much.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:36 AM »
I got the tank (70Gal Stainless Steel), filter, air pump and all the stuff but didn't get my bait tank together. I have one trap and got the materials to build at least two more. going to give trapping and the bait tank a try this year even though I don't use minnows much.
d put a couple tipups out while jiggin the commotion draws in the bigguns in good luck mo

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:38 PM »
I missed the episode on Trapping Bait on PA Outdoor Network on monday but I found the episode. http://www.wnep.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=4f76e356-52d4-4e96-9592-4247c2a591fb&src=front Its an interesting episode for shure, well the first half anyway.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2009, 07:19 AM »
By law 50 baitfish in possesion,while fishing but how many at home in your tanks can you have?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2009, 07:37 AM »
By law 50 baitfish in possesion,while fishing but how many at home in your tanks can you have?

Here's what the rulebooks say-->  http://www.fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/bait.html
Ken                                          

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2009, 07:48 AM »
So you could legally keep more than 50,if kept in different tanks?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2009, 08:21 AM »
No. That's saying if gathering bait in a group (with your friends), you can't have more than 50 in a container. The daily limit and possession limit is 50 combined species(for one person).  

Fishbait or baitfish purchased from a licensed dealer do not have a possession limit and do not count toward your daily limit of fishbait and baitfish taken from Commonwealth waterways. When purchasing bait, be sure to obtain and keep the sales slip or receipt. The receipt authorizes the possession of the fishbait or baitfish so purchased for a period of 15 days after its date of issue.

If you collect 50 baitfish from a local stream and also have a couple dozen large shiners bought from a licensed dealer, you are within the laws of the fish commission.
Ken                                          

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Back when I lived there my brothers and I would trap Thorn Creek and the surrounding areas. Just as was posted earlier,you want to set the trap with the current.We used dry dog food instead of bread.It holds up longer,and specifically Dad's brand as opposed to any other such as Purina,etc.We just got more bait with that brand.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2009, 10:56 AM »
I missed the episode on Trapping Bait on PA Outdoor Network on monday but I found the episode. http://www.wnep.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=4f76e356-52d4-4e96-9592-4247c2a591fb&src=front Its an interesting episode for shure, well the first half anyway.

and to think Dave used to regularly post info like he showed on the show in the good ole days on here  :whistle: :whistle:
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:27 AM »
and to think Dave used to regularly post info like he showed on the show in the good ole days on here  :whistle: :whistle:
sounds like dave went his own way  anyhow i use the same approach with a siene an umrella net and traps 
mo

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2009, 11:12 PM »
No. That's saying if gathering bait in a group (with your friends), you can't have more than 50 in a container. The daily limit and possession limit is 50 combined species(for one person).  

Fishbait or baitfish purchased from a licensed dealer do not have a possession limit and do not count toward your daily limit of fishbait and baitfish taken from Commonwealth waterways. When purchasing bait, be sure to obtain and keep the sales slip or receipt. The receipt authorizes the possession of the fishbait or baitfish so purchased for a period of 15 days after its date of issue.

If you collect 50 baitfish from a local stream and also have a couple dozen large shiners bought from a licensed dealer, you are within the laws of the fish commission.

Just remember to keep the wild (trapped) ones in a seperate container from the store store bought ones (reciept on hand). If you mix them and exceed the 50 per pail limit your reciept won't be worth squat.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:18 AM »
the next  thin you know they will want birth certificates form the bait fish
for proof of residency
 :icefish:One bait fish :icefish:2 bait fish  :icefish:3 bait fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.