Author Topic: shalow water perch  (Read 3614 times)

lip ripper

shalow water perch
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:02 PM »
hi guys how ya all doing. i just wanted to no the best way to catch perch up shalow we tryed minnows but they dont seem to want them we tryed small jig and vareious hooks but the little dinky one are all over them i ve seen the big boys down there fishing in atent but i cant get them to bite .
thanks to whom ever replies Albertas Lip ripper

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
Re:shalow water perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:16 PM »
Lip ripper where abouts you fishin'? The perch  are different from place to place in the south of the province.Generaly the bigger perch like the real meals and those type of offerings keep the dinks away! In the early season we had to play with them with small marmooskas and such packed with maggies to entice them but now the are just slamming the micro minnows we present. Droppers are working wonders as always but the glow baits are catching fish like crazy as well. If all fish are hammering everything try a larger spoon to keep off the pups and this will get any active perch going. If you can find the in fisherman " Ice "   magazine there are a fewillustrations of great set ups for spacing baits which might allow you to get down there if you will to try and hoist a few slabs!

good luck and remember that if you haul enough up, some will have to be big enough to go home with you!!

Keep us posted!
Tight lines!

lip ripper

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:40 PM »
ive been fishing thunder lake west off barrehead its true that if you hoist lots of dink you will get some jumbos but iwas out yesterday and caught 103 perch and only kept 13 the bigest being 13 inches the the other 90 just got my hands wet and that sucks when its 20 below with a 40 km wind and no shack but i guess ill just keep trying
Albertas Lip ripper

Offline Jocko

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes Giant Eyes!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 12:04 PM »
I ran into the same thing last season while fishing in the shallows.  What I found was that if I came up off of bottom a foot or so the bigger fish would come up, but the smalls would not follow as much.  I also went to a bigger bait and jigged actively.  I was able to keep most of the smalls away and the active jigging seemed to bring in more bigger fish.  The nice thing about being in the shallows is you can experiment by sight fishing to see how the fish are reacting to the baits.
Fish On!

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2004, 07:34 AM »
:) :) well I just bought a very nice looking  walleye lure  & was jigging for whatever would hit it  it was a 3prong treble hook  & wammer jammer  small perch took it so  try stuff   that you think might work in the field then  be prepared to change lures offten untill you find one that works

hope i helped you  

Steve  :'(
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2004, 01:27 PM »
What i do here on simcoe is use a Tear DRop type Lure called a ICe bug and then i tip it with a BErkly's Powerbait Maggot. Jig about 3-6 inches from the bottom. I also tye my own flys and ti[ them with BErkly's powerbait maggots and try the same MEthod the perch belive them to be Freash water shrimp and smack em. Bigges pne iv'e caught this year ahs been on the fly. TIght line's
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2004, 10:40 AM »
i started to post this yesterday before the site went down, but here goes.  last winter we sight fished alot for perch with a good healthy mix of dinks and jumbos. as no live minnows were available, we used salted frozen shiners chopped. if we didn't hide the tip of the hook in the head or tail, you could watch them pick it up and immediately spit it out. although they were interested, it seemed they could quickly detect something was not quite right. changing our presentation did little to change their hesitation in hitting, but hiding that hook tip sure increased our success. grump  :'( :'( :'(

lip ripper

« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2004, 10:48 PM »
thanks to everyone who replyed i will try the tips i got allof ya on saturdy and post my results
Lip ripper

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2004, 12:19 PM »
the bestway i have found was to use worms and about  afoot of the bottom. works here good as the lake we fish is only 15 or 20 feet deep  aver. 10 ft  
hook and cook

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
Re: shalow water perch
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2004, 05:01 PM »
 i was sight fishing  last saturday in 6 fow and a very large perch with a 3 inch minnow sticking out of his mouth swam up to my fatboy jig tipped with a wax worm . i jigged -pounded the rod tip and slowly raised the bait ,the perch followed and took my wax worm but couldnt fit my jig in its mouth with that big minnow sticking out.it got my wax worm and swam away-20 minutes later i saw that same huge perch swim past my hole with the big minnow and my wax worm still sticking out of its mouth.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re: shalow water perch
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2004, 12:10 PM »
Sounds like me at a chinese buffet....rofl ..should have had a smaller lure to bait with might have caught that biggie afterall! TIght lines and good luck.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.