Author Topic: Decoying Perch  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
Decoying Perch
« on: Dec 05, 2003, 10:43 AM »
 I was reading about how schools of perch can be attracted to a decoy. Has anyone tryed this and how did it work for you?  :'(
TEAM  PA.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Decoying Perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2003, 07:23 PM »
Yes it does work. I often use a large minnow, maybe 4", as one of my lines to keep perch in my area longer. I havent explained this to my buddies either. They wonder what Im doing that they arent. I have been known to double everyone else, as in those 2 have 15 fish and I have 30, using this trick. I cant say its my secret weapon but it helps. If it only helps you catch 8 fish a day its worth it. Some days 8 fish would be heaven.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2003, 08:55 PM »
 Mr.Seaquar,
             Did you ever try taking the hooks off a large lure, like a salmo darter or a jigging rapala and using that as a decoy?
TEAM  PA.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:27 PM »
I have used the 2.5" chubby darter as a decoy, no reason to remove the trebles though.  If you are already into a school and drop it down, they immediately gather around it.  Another trick is to jig very aggressively, (two to three feet lift/fall) with a large flashy spoon(1/2 oz).  Once you begin marking fish reel it up and drop down the lure you intend to fish with.  Even inactive perch will usually come in to investigate.  Then you can hammer them on the small jigs....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2003, 03:29 AM »
Yes, but not with much luck. That is kind of the same idea behind the Hali though and I clobber the perch on them things. So the chubby darter trick must work some times. At the very least they have to be the neateset looking lure made if a bit pricey.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Ice Fihin Nut

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2003, 05:09 AM »
We are allowed to spear perch here on Lake Saint Clair, and decoys work wonders!!!! My best is a 4" white decoy that I carved myself. I painted the fins and tail "hunters orange". We usually spear in 5 to 7 feet of water and work the decoy about 1/2 the way down. Plus, it usually brings in a bonus pike or 2!!! ;D

Hope this helps!!!

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2003, 10:17 AM »
Spearing perch???  God, is there anything left of em' when you yank the spear out?  :o

Ice Fihin Nut

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2003, 03:05 PM »
We use a smaller spear with no barbs.... Last year the Jumbo's had lockjaw, so we "fed them steel" instead!!!! ;)

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2003, 08:03 PM »
 Hey Mr.Seaquar,
               I've never tryed a Hali but I picked one up the other day.( 2" Perch) Is that too big of a one and should I have p/u a different color. Tell me more how you use it?  ::)
TEAM  PA.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.