Author Topic: Arctic Fisherman 50th Anniversary "Beaver Dam" Tip-up: EPIC FAIL  (Read 18860 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
I don't know if anyone here has seen these things, but for 75 bucks you get a TERRIBLE paint job and a crappy laser engraving on an otherwise standard BD. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I couldn't believe the paint quality on the boards, they weren't even fully coated.  I looked @ 5 different tipups at the Beaver Dam Fleet Farm location, same problem on every one.  No paint coverage on the board corners.  Even if I was a hardcore collector of tip-ups, buying one of these would be very hard to swallow. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Along the same topic, $39.99 for a regular Beaver Dam Tip-up?  No one I know is gonna buy them at that price. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Thanks Uncle Josh Bait company for destroying one of the best names in Ice Fishing >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
When I saw the price on them, I didnt inspect them any further.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
spend it like you have it. look at the price of smokes. look at the price of a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread. where is the end of greed.

surflizard

Uh Oh, this ain't gonna sit well with the die hard BDers ! No Excuse for Shoddy workmanship at any price !  >:(

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
I love Beaverdams, but there is no way im droppin 75 for the new 50th annev. (even though I want one, er two)

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
 I hear you, I looked at them at Gander Mtn. and was really disappointed. That kind of money is going drive a lot of Beaver Dam users away from buying their Tip-ups in the future.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
From what I've heard from a buddy who owns a sporting goods store, BD quality is WAY in the toilet as of last year.  He told me he sent many units back to the factory - they were arriving with bent shafts, etc - all KINDS of problems.  I'll keep my HT Polars and Frabill thermals thank you.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
That's too bad. My newest one is 15 years old. I haven't looked at new ones on years.

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
i think the paint job on these tip ups are suppose to be like that they want to make it look vintage or give it age, that is what i think they where going after. o yea i got 2 beaver dam tip ups for only $10 off craigslist a couple weeks ago and they where the old ones like 30 years old no lie in original box in mint conditon, deal of the year i thought

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spend it like you have it. look at the price of smokes. look at the price of a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread. where is the end of greed.
You are 100% correct my friend! :'(
Fish on!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I bought two beaver dam tip ups 30 years ago for $13.89 a piece. Still have the price tags on the original boxes. Was at a show recently and told the guys from uncle josh that. They told me they couldn't get the spindle turned for that nowadays. Any how here's a secret go on E-bay I just bought four beaver dam tip ups In new condition that are 30 years old for $15.00 each in their original box.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
I bought 2,sum 30 years ago and I love them ,I think I spent $19.95 for two ,at the end of the season and I wish I would have bought 20 at that price. Just a couple of years ago the boxes finally rotted so I had to find a plastic case to put them in. Buy the way I store mine in the freezer in the summer.   Jerry

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 $75.00 for one tip-up is ridiculous. I hope they choke on them. ;D

Offline WalleyeHunter84

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " Flag Down "
How  can you charge that much?  What used to be a great name and product.  I have some 29th annervisary ones and they charge me 25 bucks two years ago to mount a new spindle on.
"The Dirty Andy"

surflizard

B.L.B = Brand Loyalty Blindness ! I had it with Winchester till I picked one up and it said made in Russia and now the name is Smeared all over Cheap Chinese Junk at wally world ??  Uncle Josh bait company is betting on brand loyalty and laughin all the way to the Bank, Sad but True !

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
LMAO!...Its suppose to look that way!...you know- like stone wash jeans, or the worn look?.....It cost to be cool. @)
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
think they look neat but 75 buck that could be better spent somewere else.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
sucker born every minute...

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
i think the paint job on these tip ups are suppose to be like that they want to make it look vintage or give it age, that is what i think they where going after.

Even if this was the case, they didn't achieve it.  It just plain looks bad. >:(

Glad I already have 8 of them, need to find a few more, USED. ::)  I'll be on the hunt next spring at garage sales.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
anyone have a link so i cant take a peek at this thing.. i gotta see what the fuss is about

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Icejunky,
               This link may ignore the border and let you have a look.

http://www.unclejosh.com/beaverdam/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/166/page/1/id/281/name/50thAnniversaryLimitedEditionTipUp

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
thanx man.. wow, gotta love those limited editions.. 2500 made, not exactly limeted.  I wonder how many they have sold

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
With the silver inlay of the flag base, silver fish ruler, chrome steel spool and the polished brass line guide, the new Frabill great lakes edition tip up blows the doors off the BD, not only with the looks and fit and finish, Plus with a cost of $34.99, thats less then 1/2 the price of the BD Too !!  Just for curiosities sake, which one looks better to you ??                                  (Image removed from quote.)

@ 35 bucks, I'd still go for a Beaver Dam (even though they now retail @ 40  >:(), just not the ridiculous anniversary edition one.  I know it will work better than any Frabill.  Is this Great Lakes "premium" tip-up even made in America?  Or are they just charging extra to put "premium" in the title? ;)  I do not agree that the Frabill looks better..... if anything, they're trying really hard to copy the BD.  Arctic fisherman did a laser engraved ruler on a red board a few years back, might still be able to find those if you look hard enough, if a ruler on your tip-up is a deal breaker.  EDIT:  Uncle Josh is remaking the redboards, so they are available again.

I'm just pissed that the BD tip-up has changed ownership several times in the last few years, and each time the price gets jacked. >:(

The flags aren't felt, they are cotton.  Same as has been on BD's for decades.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'd pop for $10-$15 and get an HT Polar that will catch more fish than any BD  ;D

surflizard

It is plain for all to see that Frabill is trying to win over the Disgruntled BD fans with the BD clone, great lakes tip up ! I'm just curious, You start the post describing how the BD looks so terrible that it will ruin the company, then you say that it still looks better then the Frabill  ???

Oops sorry, Cotton !  Greasy looking rags tend to look similar that way  !

Yes, the Frabills are made right in Jackson Wisconsin, Hence the name !  ;)2 

I'd say Most Definitely B.L.B ! :roflmao:

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
I sprung for the 75 dollar anniversary tip up.  My father in law has a 25th anniversary and Im always jealous when we go fishing.  In thirty years my kids will be jealous too.  Its dumb and expensive but I wanted one.
 I wouldn't have bought them if uncle josh's had shipped there manufacturing to China.  I can handle a price increase.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
It is plain for all to see that Frabill is trying to win over the Disgruntled BD fans with the BD clone, great lakes tip up ! I'm just curious, You start the post describing how the BD looks so terrible that it will ruin the company, then you say that it still looks better then the Frabill  ???

Oops sorry, Cotton !  Greasy looking rags tend to look similar that way  !

Yes, the Frabills are made right in Jackson Wisconsin, Hence the name !  ;)2 

I'd say Most Definitely B.L.B ! :roflmao:

My complaint is that the paint quality of the Anniversary Tip-up is subpar, or at least thats my opinion.  The original BD's still look as good as they ever have.  I would buy an orignal BD, not an Anniversary tip-up, over those Frabills. 

I've had bad experiences with Frabill tip-ups, so I would pretty much buy any tip-up over a Frabill. ;)

Are you sure those tip-ups are made in Jackson?  Just because that's the company HQ doesn't mean that anything actually gets made there.  I couldn't find anything on Frabills website about their origin.  Frabill is one of those companies that pretty much just designs stuff here and then ships plans to China to get stuff made.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
I sprung for the 75 dollar anniversary tip up.  My father in law has a 25th anniversary and Im always jealous when we go fishing.  In thirty years my kids will be jealous too.  Its dumb and expensive but I wanted one.
 I wouldn't have bought them if uncle josh's had shipped there manufacturing to China.  I can handle a price increase.

I have a 25th, 30th, and 3-40th anniversary BD's, and as far as I remember, they were never priced higher than the standard BD that sat on the shelf right beside it.

It just blows me away what they are charging for what to me looks like a crap paint job.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
 I don't think you should come on the site and tell everybody BD's are not made at the same quality, when they clearly are.  Your right the paint job is styled as "distressed"  and the price is too high.   The 50th anniversary just had the edges sanded down.  It's not that Uncle Josh's bought the company and decided to make a lower quality product because they could afford to paint the entire board.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just purchased a glow in the dark Beaver Dam tip up off ebay. It is unreal how the quality of these tip ups has gone down hill so much in the past 3 years even. The craftsmanship of these is just terrible. I will not be buying another Beaver Dam tip up at these ridiculous prices that look like something my sone threw together in intro to woodworking class. A very disappointed and now lost Beaver Dam customer. Thanks Uncle Josh, these tips ups need a lot of work to get back to where they once were.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.