Author Topic: Glen Elder  (Read 5315 times)

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
Glen Elder
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Has anyone been west of Cawker lately; and what does the ice look like? Not looking for any spots, just ice info. 2+ hour drive from home and wanting to go where the ice is good. Just fished northern Iowa over the holiday; decent fishing but cold temps had fish very lethargic and had to downsize everything just to get bit. Lots of potential up there and probably head back up once more this winter. Thanks for any info in advance.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Glen Elder
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:18 PM »
good ice not so good fishing

Offline JOEFISH ICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:34 PM »
Anyone had any luck on crappie? How's the ice?
Dirty Midwest fishing

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply; this big front that came through probably has them in a funk; was the same when we were in Iowa a few days ago.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Where did you go in Iowa, usually go to South Dakota, but was thinking Iowa this year since we have fishable ice in Kansas this year.

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Ice at glen is good 6-8 inches but fishing is slow, and lot of small white was there couple day

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:55 PM »
6 of us went up to the Clear Lake area. Fished 3 lakes for Walleye, Crappie, Bluegills, Whites, Perch, Largemouth and new to us; Yellow Bass. We went out with a guide service since the area was new to us;  and they were top notch. Even cooked for us each day on the ice in sub zero temps. The bite wasn't fabulous but we still caught fish and we were constantly marking fish. Glad we had them also because several of the lakes had been dredged and without knowledge of the fish and how they travel we would have been spinning our wheels a lot in those sub zero temps. I suppose we could have caught a few following the crowds but these guys had us locked in through brutal temps. We are planning on going back again this winter for sure.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Looking at the 10 day forecast out here doesn't look great for our bigger lakes at all; especially Glen. Hoping to get out pretty quick and take advantage of the ice we have.

Offline slabcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:50 PM »
the crappie bite is on west of the causeway in the brush and in the channel.
a lot of fishermen  getting fair numbers of crappie in the two pound range
 with some limits being caught.

Offline gediger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:59 PM »
What's the ice like up there?

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:10 PM »
ice still ok from 6-8 at the causeway,,,but be careful with some spot it open water and refrezz at night, i fell through the ice lost some gear and a frozen bath.. so bring spud bar if you when out by yourself

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:52 AM »
We saw a bright light where you fell in (I'm assuming it was you).  We didn't know what was going on, but someone told us later that day that someone had gone through the ice.  The ice in that area is usually not as safe as other areas nearby.  I stay away from it.  Not worth it to me. 

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Sorry to hear of your had experience,  hope you are ok. 

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Yeah that was me, I was there 5 day before that ice still 8 inches,, but come back this week is less then 2 inch,,Kansas ice change really fast, but I learn my lesson so next time go out alway bring a spud bar too be safe, Kansas ice fishing pretty much over soon, time to head up to Wyoming,, good luck everyone and be careful next couple day weather is warm up look before head out

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Where did you go in at? Ive heard of two thin spots one along the North shore just west of the north brush pile and one along the point just north of the boat ramp.

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Near the bridge.  On Saturday, that area looked like it was all iced up.  Sunday, it looked sketchy.  That morning was when he fell in (when we saw the bright light).  Monday, it was open (but there were still some huts not too far from it).  There is water flowing in from both rivers and the area near the bridge  is where the water flow gets constricted, creating pressure on the ice.  The ice was about 9" where we fished.  I did not know about the area north of the boat ramp.  Thanks for the heads up, ksgoosekillr. 

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Near the bridge.  On Saturday, that area looked like it was all iced up.  Sunday, it looked sketchy.  That morning was when he fell in (when we saw the bright light).  Monday, it was open (but there were still some huts not too far from it).  There is water flowing in from both rivers and the area near the bridge  is where the water flow gets constricted, creating pressure on the ice.  The ice was about 9" where we fished.  I did not know about the area north of the boat ramp.  Thanks for the heads up, ksgoosekillr.

That area under the bridge was open water on Friday, Saturday it had skim ice. Was that you that showed up around noon Saturday and headed to the north pile?

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:34 AM »
That area under the bridge was open water on Friday, Saturday it had skim ice. Was that you that showed up around noon Saturday and headed to the north pile?

I don't think so.  We got there Saturday morning around 6AM local time, and fished the junction brushpile that day. 

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I go through near the bridge Sunday morning, and near north side brush pile there around 4 inch of water that running on top of the ice 5 by 12 feet long on Monday , same as Kirwin there an open water spot at the north brush pile so becareful not to walk on those spot.,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.