Author Topic: A few trips  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
A few trips
« on: Feb 22, 2024, 09:04 PM »
Been out a few times since my last post. A lot of pickerel a few bass and finally learned how to use my fish finder. Out of desperation using worms on tip ups I learned how to jig with my flasher and it’s fun! Been fishing ponds with pickerel and bass. Caught alot of pickerel. Trying to find out how to target the big bass. All fun. Finally found the hooks I like confusing the difference between 1/0 and 1 size hooks. I have started to hate my jawjacker and snapper loose so many fish can never get to them in time dont know if I am using then wrong but would much rather use a tip up. Bites been hot in 8-15 fow for pickerel in bass in southern nh for me. Hope the ice last longer. Here are some highlights including 3 eagles.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A few trips
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2024, 09:17 PM »
What kind of hooks are you using with your jackers? What about rods? I like using straight shank hooks and I put on a Mr ice bobber to give the fish about 8” of slack before the jaw jacker actually sets the hook. I’ve played around with snelled hook vs Palomar knot but haven’t tested it enough yet
Tight Lines!

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2024, 10:19 PM »
Been using the jawjacker with a jig and a wack work. Lost so many fish fishing it with a shiner that I switched to wax work. The snapper I use an owners 4 hook with a shiner loose a lot of fish can’t get to in time. Set the drag low figuring they will take line and I can get to it not the case. 28 inch rod. Was excited to use them now just wanna use tip ups.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2024, 08:01 AM »
I wouldn’t set your drag too loose, maybe you’re not getting a good enough hook set? I set my drag loose enough that the line won’t snap and it won’t pull the rod out of the rod holder. I use smelt and shiners on them all the time and have a pretty good hook up ratio
Tight Lines!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2024, 09:10 AM »
Out of desperation using worms on tip ups I learned how to jig with my flasher and it’s fun!

That's the way!  Set some tip-ups for bass & jig the last hole.

Trying to find out how to target the big bass.

Big shiners near weed lines

I have started to hate my jawjacker and snapper loose so many fish can never get to them in time dont know if I am using then wrong but would much rather use a tip up.

If they don't really have the shiner in their mouth yet, you'll pull the hook....or if you have the drag set too loose, the hookset will be weak....and you won't get them then either.

So, if you're missing fish....you can use the snapper as a rod holder (no bend in the rod) - drag set loose (or baitrunner style reel)....single hook....as little weight as you can get away with....and then when the drag starts singing....you run over & pick it up....tighten up drag + set the hook.  This gives the fish a few more seconds to really get the shiner (like w/ a tip-up).

....or go back to tip-ups & jig the last hole.   ;D

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2024, 06:04 PM »
Set your drag tighter and make sure your hook is revealed from your bait not buried  :tipup:
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2024, 02:47 PM »
Well done Erb…the flasher does come In handy,.. :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2024, 09:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the tips, went out one last time for the year it seems good day. Got out 14 times this year. Sad it’s seems to be over but loved it while it lasted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.