Author Topic: Newfound Lake weekend of 2/17  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Newfound Lake weekend of 2/17
« on: Feb 20, 2024, 07:40 PM »
Forgot to post from this past weekend. Pretty good weekend numbers wise for Newfound.

Saturday morning was beautiful, then around 1 PM a burst of wind and snow came through for about 30 minutes. It literally was snowing sideways. After that it was cold and windy. But that didn't stop the fish. I wound up with a couple flags, producing a .59 perch and later a 1.71 pickerel. I've never marked so many fish on Newfound on the flasher and not caught anything though. It was very frustrating. A couple of the guys in our group caught a few pickerel, the highlight being a 2.62 pickerel. Also a laker in less than 3' of water on a tip up which blew my mind.

Sunday was the more productive day. The cusk lines had a few fish to show for. I caught a .49 cusk, the bait was gone on a few others. Someone caught a 2.4 pound cusk, that was nice to see. We were able to get to a laker spot that we were unable to fish last year. Tons of marks, the fish were pretty aggressive chasing jigs. I hooked one and fought it for a minute or two before it shook loose. My friend went back to that spot in the afternoon and caught three lakers. I started to pack up and saw the jaw jacker pop and the rod was pumping, wound up with a 3.06 pickerel. I recently bought a new rod for my jaw jacker because the other one broke, so I was happy to see it produce a few fish.

Heading up again this coming weekend for what's likely the last kick at the can for me on Newfound.
Marking anything?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Lake weekend of 2/17
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2024, 10:57 PM »
Forgot to post from this past weekend. Pretty good weekend numbers wise for Newfound.

Saturday morning was beautiful, then around 1 PM a burst of wind and snow came through for about 30 minutes. It literally was snowing sideways. After that it was cold and windy. But that didn't stop the fish. I wound up with a couple flags, producing a .59 perch and later a 1.71 pickerel. I've never marked so many fish on Newfound on the flasher and not caught anything though. It was very frustrating. A couple of the guys in our group caught a few pickerel, the highlight being a 2.62 pickerel. Also a laker in less than 3' of water on a tip up which blew my mind.

Sunday was the more productive day. The cusk lines had a few fish to show for. I caught a .49 cusk, the bait was gone on a few others. Someone caught a 2.4 pound cusk, that was nice to see. We were able to get to a laker spot that we were unable to fish last year. Tons of marks, the fish were pretty aggressive chasing jigs. I hooked one and fought it for a minute or two before it shook loose. My friend went back to that spot in the afternoon and caught three lakers. I started to pack up and saw the jaw jacker pop and the rod was pumping, wound up with a 3.06 pickerel. I recently bought a new rod for my jaw jacker because the other one broke, so I was happy to see it produce a few fish.

Heading up again this coming weekend for what's likely the last kick at the can for me on Newfound.

Good report! I was in the area and the wife and I swung by the Cummings beach bay. It was strange to see so few fishermen out there, unlike other years where it’s pretty busy. Mother Nature I guess…

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2024, 04:01 AM »
I know, I was thinking that too. So weird not seeing other bobhouses, snowmobiles and quads on the ice.

Parts of the main lake finally skimmed over, but too little too late at this point sadly.
Marking anything?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2024, 11:10 AM »
Nice report and glad you had a productive good time on Newfound!
A friend of mine caught some really nice yellow perch.....derby contenders but wasn't in the derby. I always thought the next state record for yellow perch will come out of Newfound.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2024, 01:53 PM »
I know, I was thinking that too. So weird not seeing other bobhouses, snowmobiles and quads on the ice.

Parts of the main lake finally skimmed over, but too little too late at this point sadly.

A sad winter for ice fisherman!

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2024, 07:49 PM »
Nice report and glad you had a productive good time on Newfound!
A friend of mine caught some really nice yellow perch.....derby contenders but wasn't in the derby. I always thought the next state record for yellow perch will come out of Newfound.

Still waiting to get into a pile of the Newfound jumbos, hopefully this weekend!

Saturday is looking like one of the coldest days I can remember in a long time up there.
Marking anything?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.