Author Topic: Battery question  (Read 2412 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Battery question
« on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:07 PM »
Not ice related but someone here will be able to answer, I'm sure. I want to build a livewell for my kayak. I want to hook up a Rule bilge pump(260 gal) to a 6V 7AH battery. will this provide enough power to push the water from the lake to the livewell? the water will drain out the side.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Battery question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:11 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:26 PM »

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2021, 06:01 AM »
 Looks to be 12 volts not 6 volts

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2021, 10:17 AM »
No different than the pumps that come in all boats. Obviously 12V.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2021, 03:59 PM »
 I know that they are 12 volts but can a 6v battery operate the pump at a lower power, say, instead of operating at 360 GPH, maybe operate at 180 GPH?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2021, 05:22 PM »
I really don't know...I imagine it would, but it also would pull the batt down fast, I'd think. A standard 750 GPH bilge pump has a 2.5 amp draw. Any reason why you can't use a 12V? Most are same length, just wider and a tad heavier.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2021, 05:34 PM »
I use this pump to drain water from boats, canoes and kayaks, as well as to circulate water in a big cooler that holds my minnows. It runs on DC, but comes with an AC adapter so you can plug it in if needed. A thirty cent screen designed for your garden hose covers the intake, and plastic tubing is cheap by the foot at my local Ace store. If you rig a power panel, you can run both your depth finder AND the bilge pump off the same battery.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Water-Pumps/Submersible-Pumps/12-Volt-DC-Submersible-Impeller-Pump-w-115-Volt-AC-To-12-Volt-DC-Adapter-2-1443.axd
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:14 PM »
I use this pump to drain water from boats, canoes and kayaks, as well as to circulate water in a big cooler that holds my minnows. It runs on DC, but comes with an AC adapter so you can plug it in if needed. A thirty cent screen designed for your garden hose covers the intake, and plastic tubing is cheap by the foot at my local Ace store. If you rig a power panel, you can run both your depth finder AND the bilge pump off the same battery.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Water-Pumps/Submersible-Pumps/12-Volt-DC-Submersible-Impeller-Pump-w-115-Volt-AC-To-12-Volt-DC-Adapter-2-1443.axd
Mmmmmmm.......

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:18 PM »
I really don't know...I imagine it would, but it also would pull the batt down fast, I'd think. A standard 750 GPH bilge pump has a 2.5 amp draw. Any reason why you can't use a 12V? Most are same length, just wider and a tad heavier.
was thinking that if using half the power, 7 ah battery might last longer.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:10 PM »
No it doesn't work that way. P(watts)=E(voltage) X I(current) So for the same power out if you cut voltage in half you double the current.  Now I'm not up on DC motor theory if you cut the voltage it may or may not run ok just slower but it may overheat and you may just burn it out.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2021, 10:17 PM »
With a DC motor, you will get about half the speed (at least at no load) with half the voltage. From motor and pump theory, I am guessing you will get about 1/4 the flow rate with 6V instead of 12, and it will drop below that as the battery goes down.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2021, 06:30 AM »
Just looked and a bunch of commercial made kayak livewell options. See what specs they use and copy or just buy premade

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2021, 09:47 AM »
ok. thank you all. Probably just go with the 12v. I got extra battery.  Moving onto the next question I just dug this out of my stuff. it's new. Does the intake need to be below the water line or can it suck the water up if mounted above water line?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2021, 11:04 AM »
The intake must be below the water line or your pump will constantly be working to prime the pump and could burn up quick if ran dry a lot. For times when you are not using the live well or pump you could find a rubber stopper plug so the well remains dry.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2021, 11:29 AM »
The intake must be below the water line or your pump will constantly be working to prime the pump and could burn up quick if ran dry a lot. For times when you are not using the live well or pump you could find a rubber stopper plug so the well remains dry.

Maybe a check valve could be incorporated into the set up .. the weight of the check valve would keep it in the water at cruising speeds an do its intended purpose as well.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2021, 01:36 PM »
Sounds like a regular bilge pump tossed into the water is the best solution.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.