Author Topic: No. 8 code blue.  (Read 8155 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
No. 8 code blue.
« on: Oct 08, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Picked one up at Scheels today. Put it on a ht blue ice rod. I think ill like it better then my black Betty for half the price.

Anyone else look at them. What did you think?

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Re: Brand 8 code blue.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2013, 11:15 PM »
Was looking at them as well, but I'd be concerned their too light for most large fisheries I frequent here.  Post a review after you get some use from it!
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2013, 11:26 PM »
Wats a brand 8 code blue Any pictures???
Never to many short poles

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2013, 02:02 AM »
Was looking at them as well, but I'd be concerned their too light for most large fisheries I frequent here.  Post a review after you get some use from it!

While the reel is some type of composite/abs plastic on the brand 8 code blue, I don't see where it would be to light. I mean this and the black Betty are basic fly reels used for straight line no jig spin panfishing. You put #1 -#3 test line on them with ultra light sensitive poles. I'm almost positive the brand 8 will handle it. If anything I would think the line would break first.

I got a black Betty last year and absolutely love it for perch, blue gill, and crappie  fishing. I sure wouldn't want a walleye or pike on it. But I did manage to land a 18 inch fat @$$ bass with it, and didn't have much problem.

I've personally found these straight line fly reels on ultra light poles to just be a killer on panfish. I picked up the brand 8 has a second rod so I can switch out lures with always having a pole down.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2013, 02:09 AM »
Wats a brand 8 code blue Any pictures???

Well if u look at the Black Betty fly reel, it's almost a copy of it. Only it's made of some type of composite and is blue and white. Reel sells for about half of what a black Betty does. I'll try to snap a pic of it tomorrow and post it

Offline shiza11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2013, 06:43 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/No8Tackle

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2013, 10:32 AM »
No. 8 tackle is the budget friendly side of 13 fishing, introduced at icast this year.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2013, 12:47 PM »
I might have to look these up. I have wanted some 13 fishing gear now for a couple years but never justified the price so these sound more buyable.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2013, 03:22 PM »
I'm not so sure if Brand 8 is the same thing as No 8 by 13 Fishing...

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2013, 05:09 AM »
http://tackletour.com/reviewicast13no8.html

first paragraph of the article,

Introduction: From the guys at 13 Fishing is a new brand with the same numerical theme. No. 8 Tackle is the name, and their slogan “Fish Your Heart Out” aims to catch the eye of anglers seeking the ultimate in value and performance. This brand will be totally separate from 13 Fishing, with eye catching products that look unique and vibrant compared to others on the market. At ICAST we had a full tour of the No. 8 Tackle booth, and here is just a sampling of what they will be offering.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2013, 08:30 AM »
http://tackletour.com/reviewicast13no8.html

first paragraph of the article,

Introduction: From the guys at 13 Fishing is a new brand with the same numerical theme. No. 8 Tackle is the name, and their slogan “Fish Your Heart Out” aims to catch the eye of anglers seeking the ultimate in value and performance. This brand will be totally separate from 13 Fishing, with eye catching products that look unique and vibrant compared to others on the market. At ICAST we had a full tour of the No. 8 Tackle booth, and here is just a sampling of what they will be offering.

Right... this we already know.  Now I found a Brand 8's ice reel fish combo on Cabelas. 
http://www.cabelas.com/product/BRAND-CODE-BLUE-COMBO/1674724.uts

Upon zooming into the picture of the inline reel itself which is blue in color and not red it appears a "No 8" logo on it.  So actually it supposed to be No 8 and not Brand 8.  Which this is going to confuse some customers. 

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2013, 01:15 PM »
definatly confusing, especially if one company is making a reel thats a near copy of a reel that the other companies parent company already makes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Well I guess it explains why the code blue is basically a composite replica of black Betty for 1/2 the money.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Here's my set ups. I'm liking the No. 8. I also picked up the guard for the Black Betty, I'll see if I like it. Might get one for the No. 8 if I like it.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: No. 8 code blue.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Wow let me no where to order them they look nice I have to get one and try it this year ;D

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2013, 11:14 PM »
Wow let me no where to order them they look nice I have to get one and try it this year ;D

You can get them both or either at Scheels. I just got the reels an put them on nice ht pannie rods. I didn't car for the rod/rods they came on.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2013, 11:49 PM »
Cool so scheels in desmoines would have them in stock?.. Thanks I will try one ;D ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
<===Lefty===

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2013, 09:43 AM »
buddy of mine just picked mine up for me the other day at Scheels here in Nebraska.  I build my rods so I'm def excited about getting a white rod with the same color blue to do the wraps... This reel is almost 1/2 the weight as a spinning, durable like the betty, and 1/2 the price as the betty too.  He has the betty and I am in love with it, however I fell for the blue on white of this reel instantly!  Was planning on getting a betty this year but now this is here, heck, I could get 3 of them for the same price! 

Looking forward to hitting the ice more and more this year now!
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2013, 11:10 AM »
buddy of mine just picked mine up for me the other day at Scheels here in Nebraska.  I build my rods so I'm def excited about getting a white rod with the same color blue to do the wraps... This reel is almost 1/2 the weight as a spinning, durable like the betty, and 1/2 the price as the betty too.  He has the betty and I am in love with it, however I fell for the blue on white of this reel instantly!  Was planning on getting a betty this year but now this is here, heck, I could get 3 of them for the same price! 

Looking forward to hitting the ice more and more this year now!

The only thing is I don't believe they have the optional back guard avalible like the BB does.

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Can you reverse the retrieve to reel with the left hand and jig with the right?? Gonna pull the trigger on a few combos at cabelas. Theyre on sale for 18 bucks right now. Combos!
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:38 PM »
And..........you have all had plenty of time for sea trials on this reel by now..........is it worth it. can u pull the line off it smoothly and easily? I bought a frabill jiggler a couple weeks ago, because I like the line thru the blank concept, and that has proved killer, but that reel is complete garbage. I returned the original one I got because the reel had way too much slop and traded it for a tighter one. Now this one is loose and the drag is about as smooth as riding 60 cross grain thru a cornfield. Gonna return it for a betty.

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Anyone????? I don't live by a cabelas and can't find any worthwhile reviews on the web.....counting on someone here!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:54 PM »
I'm confused a bit,other than being new on the market,I would think the eagle claw would be a better reel for the money.I admit,I've never tried any inlines other than eagle claw,but the retrieve ratio on eagle claw is better I believe,plus the free spool on the eagle claw has worked very well for me.I like the looks of the no 8, but before I buy ( I have to buy two I can't have uneven number of things) I can't see the advantage.Im open though,and will consider everyone's imput.I didn't buy betty because it seemed like a high priced glorified schooly,but hey adding a few more tools my collections not a bad thing

Offline bwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:25 AM »
ok so I've searched the internet to try and avoid looking stupid on here but this is my only option.  The local shop had a really good deal on this real so I bought one not really knowing what I was doing and thinking I would be able to figure it out.  But I can't.  My question is is the line on the real suppose to come up from the bottom of the reel and through the guide whole or over the top and through the guide hole on the reel?  Looking around it looks like people have the line going different ways on the different brands of inlines.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:49 AM »
I have 2 No 8 Cold Gear inline reels (Fish USA) and absolutely love them. Much easier for me to use with my arthritic fingers. It takes a little getting use to the free spooling and drag.  I also have an Eagle Claw Tony Roach Inline but that's a whole different story.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:57 AM »
BW - I feed my line from the bottom.....so, when I am reeling in (left hand) I am turning the real counter clock-wise.  Think that was your question.

Offline bwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Thanks, I can't wait to try mine.

Offline MJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:54 PM »
Just paired my code blue up with the no 8 "snitch" rod... What a freakin' awesome setup, lemme tell ya. I can't believe how well the two balance out! No 8 is definitely on their stuff!
**HARD WATER MAFIA**

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.