Author Topic: any and all burbot,ling,eelpout info  (Read 3841 times)

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
any and all burbot,ling,eelpout info
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 01:44 PM »
hi guys im just trying to learn all i can about this fish as it seems to be not so popular and not a lot of info on them.so if anyone knows anything informative about this guy let me know.do they stay in the deep till dark and then feed in the shallows?ive heard that when they spawn they get into huge balls but do they head to deeper or shallower water?when do they usually spawn?what does there diet consist of mostly.do you look for weedbeds,structure or muddy bottoms?at what depth are they usually caught,daytime and nightime?better to jig or just let it sit?and anything alse about them would be apprecated thank you.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: any and all burbot,ling,eelpout info
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:15 PM »
There is lots of info on Ling/eelpout/lawyers/cusk on this site...and btw they are one of the most popular fish for ice fishing in Finland ( Burbot)..home of so much icefishing ideas :P  Yes they usually stay deep until dark and will come shallower to feed but I usually dont catch them real shallow like walleyes 20-35ft of water is best on a rocky hump just like walleye!  Same place to look for them in spawning season which is coming up soon..mid-late Feb for Minnesota/ND/Montana.  They usually are in really deep water 70-100ft.  They eat anything alive ciscos, whitefish, perch, walleyes, suckers, crawfish etc.  I have never fished for them during the day assume you need to be deeep. But right now prespawn you can find them shallower as they of course are trying to put on the feed for the spawn. At night they like floursecent jigs airplane or northland Rattle jigs 3/4oz with a BIG minnow ( small sucker or big chub)  but sometimes are best with a dead line... huh just like walleyes.  Good luck!  The best Ling fishing in North Dakota has always been open water fishing below Garrison dam in Dec or Jan if you could get out.  Anchor fishing in the Honey hole with a dead smelt on a big lead jig..during the day.  Might  be the same under FT.Peck dam!!  Two of the IGFA world records are from the missouri river below Garrison dam.

Offline tightliner3

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: any and all burbot,ling,eelpout info
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:43 PM »
You seem to know alot about fishing them at the tailrace, i have caught some there how bout on the big lake any info for that.  depth structure bays and bait. for this time of year.  Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.