Author Topic: Took my niece and little sister to get into YELLOW PERCH  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Always fun getting some newbies onto the ice, even more fun when it's family!!

Got my little sister and my niece out on the ice for the first time. We chose a great day to go; mid-high 30's, little to no wind, no clouds in the sky, and we got to sleep in too ;D
We showed up to the lake and spoke with several anglers about the bite...I was sad because everyone reported a very finicky bite, with most being there all morning with little to no luck. Lots of marks, just not a lot of bites.

We experienced the same thing at first...More then a lot of marks, a giant school right below us that spread at least 10-15 yards. We tried a multitude of lures and jigs, and settled on suttle small tungsten jigs being the best for this day...The bite was incredibly inconsistent until we found a solid pattern for the bite. The pattern we found was 2-3 aggressive jigs and then a dead stick, sometimes for up to 15-20 seconds, but it always produced a fish. We wound up catching roughly 20 Perch, all being in the 6-8" range, with one being at 10". Pretty good consistentsy, considering this lake has had stunted perch problems for years. Probably my best ratio of eaters I've ever gotten in one day.

Tough times for my sister and niece but they had fun enjoying the weather and the grill out we had :) Also, got my GF the Garmin Striker 4. I like the unit A LOT, and i can actually show the image on my gopro and not have it tweek out on the picture. As you can see below, lots of fish!
Lots of perch, a couple trout (released), and lots of good times with the GF and my family! Hope you guys enjoy the pictures and video if you have time!!

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Took my niece and little sister to get into YELLOW PERCH
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:20 PM »
Your little sis had a smile on her face for the camera anyway.  Great to get kids interested.  I just filleted some of the smallest perch ever, caught at "Jizm" lake yesterday on our side of the state. I got a new Vex and wanted to try it out.  Yeah, it can "find" 5-7" perch no problem.  I got 8 oz of fillets out of 10 perch.

s

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Took my niece and little sister to get into YELLOW PERCH
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:33 PM »
 Thank you for the video nice that you were able to get you sister and niece out ice fishing with you. looks like they had a good time.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.