Author Topic: Approaching a tip up, slowly and quietly  (Read 2973 times)

Fingerlakes Fisher

Approaching a tip up, slowly and quietly
« on: May 02, 2002, 05:45 PM »
When approaching a tip up, do it slowly and quietly. You may spook the fish and they will drop your bait. also, do not wait too long. It is a good time to hook them at the end of their initial run, if you are lucky enough to get there in time. Watch your tipups closely! If they are running hard or consistently, let them go. When they stop or pauser or slow, nail them. Sometimes waiting too long is bad. If a fish doesnt feel the hook they will take it to safety and swallow it there. This is usually the end of the first run. After that they are cautious and may know something is up. This is where a stinger hook may be just what is needed. If you are using one and hit the fish at the end of the first run you should get him right in the corner of the mouth.  

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Approaching a tip up, slowly and quietly
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2002, 01:23 AM »
Fishing Goatboy style requires a certian specialized skill. First when you get a flag you have to scream Flaaaagggg ,then grab the bait bucket, stuff what ever your eating into your pocket ( chedderwost loaded with mustard ) grab you beer and run to your tip up as fast as you can trying not to stumble so you dont spill your beer or bait bucket or slide to the hole on your stomach. Be certian to set the hook or else you have to wear the famous Goatboy hat. This system works very well. People shake thier heads when thay see how many fish this style of fishing produces, and not to mention how much fun it is. I can't figure out if it's the loud music or the loud laughter that attracts the fish, but it works well. ;)
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2002, 08:40 AM »
Mark, sounds like my kind of day on the ice.  I like the definite sprint to the finish line race to a trap with bait bucket splashing all over He## and creation.   I think it scares the fish into a run away from whatever is making that noise on it's ceiling & makes for easy hook setting.   ;-}  
But seriously, I'm setting my traps away from the commune this year.  It's a hoot to hang out, socialize, drink coffee, etc.  but I believe that the shuffling feet, the iceskating, the hockey sticks & all that noise chase the fish away from the local area.  I'm gonna get there earlier & set my traps ~100 yds away from where I stage the commune's base camp.

Tear 'em up this year guys !
Russellman

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Sounds like some of the days when I have been fishing with the guys.

Those are the days when it doesn't matter who has their name on the Tip Up, who drilled the hole, set up or last checked or re-baited the Tip up, who got the last fish, or any of the other "sporting" ways to handle the "Flag Up".

Just a day full of "first one to the hole" . . . ! ! !

(Really fun to watch on smooth black ice).  ;D

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.