Author Topic: ARTIC WARRIOR (dead stick/tip up)  (Read 9683 times)

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
ARTIC WARRIOR (dead stick/tip up)
« on: Jan 19, 2006, 05:26 PM »
   How the heck do you set up the flag on these?
Directions say to "insert flag pole into slot with blue dot".
It just falls out???????????? >:( >:( >:( ???

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ARTIC WARRIOR (dead stick/tip up)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2006, 06:11 PM »
If you are looking at it from the end it goes into one of the creases where the metal folds down. You have to really jam it in there to get it to stay (and it is in there for good once you do). I was also a little confused by this design.

Brian

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:08 AM »
Do you leave the bail open or turn your drag way down?

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2006, 07:56 AM »
leave  your bail open Ive been fishin these since 01 love them takes a little practice getting used to caught 6 lb bass on one it took line off the drag it was cool also caught lakers on them in ME when I get a flag I pick up the pole reel down if its not running wait to feel the weight and set the hook I set it hard my friends say it looks like im settin on a tuna I get to excited  if   you  stick with it youl find whats comfortable for you good luck let me know how you like them after you catch a couple fish  ;D :tipup:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2006, 01:25 PM »
I bought 3 Warrior's at Dick's for $9.97, I set them up and off to the pond, I caught two rainbows and was real nice taking them in on a pole, I was so impress with them I went back to Dick's and bought 3 more....

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:16 PM »
I bought 3 Warrior's at Dick's for $9.97.

That was a very good buy. I bought one at the Northeastern Sports Show a few years back for $12.00 and I have never seen them anywhere else any cheaper. I saw them at the Dick's in my area just prior to Xmas and they were $19.97!!!!!! :'( I haven't checked on them since......WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2006, 04:09 PM »
I went back to Dick's in my area and all the ice fishing stuff is gone, the manager said it was sent to stores up north...I pick up 6 warriors for $9.97, the normal price was $19.98....I like these kind of sales...

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:44 PM »
I fish my Artic Warrior with the Okuma Avenger ABF30 (automatic bait feeder) reel. These reels work awesome for this set up, it has a dual drag system that allows you to set drag on the bait itself with the bail closed, it will freespool when the fish hits it and when you want to set the hook you just turn the bait feeder switch off and set the hook with your front drag already set for setting the hook and fighting the fish. This works really well on windy days, you wouldnt want your bail open with line blowing all over the ice and the bait fish hiding in the weeds with too much slack in the line.

You will definately like this reel with the warrior, I got mine at Cabelas for 39.95 a piece, its the smallest one you can get rated for 6,8 and 10 lb test, typically used for saltwater applications. I use a Shimano Bait Runner 4500 for stripers thats how I got the idea for using them on the warrior.

Goodluck and let me know how you make out if you try it  :tipup:

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:55 PM »
I like the warrior myself, I am using 6 jig poles with open reel, like the fight on the pole have only use them on rainbow's so far...I was wondering if they just sell the trigger thing that is put on the pole ? so you don't have to remove it if you want to use other poles...

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:19 PM »
talked to a guy yesterday he attaches the meatel bracket to a pvc pipe he didnt like the bracket on the rod would work for switchin rods but sumtimes my rod dips down toward the hole when the fish runs hard if in a pvc pipe would the rod fall in the hole?? just thought of that ??? ozzy that sounds killa ive had trouble with golden shiners for pike on these also Ive had large bass hit so hard it knocked the pole right out of the holder and on to the ice wich made the bail close my buddy was there to pounce on the rod and save it happened twice last year anyone else had this happen ? even if I lost the rod I would still use them :tipup:

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:59 PM »
I like that come back using pvc pipe, with an open bail should not be a problem,
thanks for the info......

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:02 PM »
I only own one Warrior but I have fished it a number of times and can see it as another effective tool in the arsenal. I use an older Shimano GT 1000 UL reel on a 2 pc. 5' ultra light rod and to date have not caught any large fish on the system but what I've caught has been fun. I will probably add more of these to my set up if price allows as I will not pay some outrageous price for one ( or more ). I usually fish them with an open bail as the flag trips when the line moves and the fish is allowed to run with the bait. I have had problems on really windy days with the flag tripping. I still have a lot to learn about applications for this system....but I think it is a viable tool that is econo-minded as compared to Slammers etc. I also think that you should be able to purchase the rod bracket separately so that you can use more than one rod on one Warrior.....WK :-\
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2006, 08:56 AM »
Ive learned if you place the reel as far back on the bracket as possible it will be harder to trip the flag I have all five of mine set up this way and almost never get wind flags I would have to adjust them for light bitters rainbow

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:09 AM »
We have a magazine here in New England called "On The Water" and it has an article on dead-sticking on the ice, they had something on the slammer,did not turn me on, very simple to make also, the bail is the way to go in my book, open bail and play the fish, I guess they call that fishing....

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:57 PM »
yeah I didnt like how it set the hook for you settin the hook is half the fun I set real hard tried light sets and lost more fish than settin hard my buddies laugh at me they say it looks like im settin on a tuna acctually anybody that sees me set laughs ;D

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:07 PM »
Went Fishing today at Black Pond Woodstock, Ct and pick up 3 nice rainbows on the Warriors, the best thing was that the trout made long runs under the ice and the fun of playing them to the hole, this is what the warrior is all about...

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2006, 06:18 PM »
good job frank lots of fun did you use split shots for the bows or just straight leader

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Hi Roncarr, I had a 24" Vanish 6# leader, also a 1/16 lead jighead, with this setup you don't need lead shot...

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:43 PM »
cool frank I never heard of using small jig heads Ill try it next time I get a chance thanks ;)

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2006, 01:34 PM »
cool frank I never heard of using small jig heads Ill try it next time I get a chance thanks ;)

You will lose very few fish with this set up, they hook them self on the bite....Frank-Ct

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2006, 05:44 PM »
These sound cool but what's the difference between these and tip downs? ???
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Frank-Ct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:45 AM »
These sound cool but what's the difference between these and tip downs? ???

A Warrior and a tip down are the samething or I am missing something...Tight lines Frank

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:58 AM »
ALMOST frank lol

Tip down if balanced is alot easier to pull down then to trip an artice warrior- either one of these setups are ehad to use if your not close to your traps.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2006, 01:15 PM »
From my own experience using one, the Warrior is a combo of both tip-up and (or) tip-down. I have found that a lot depends on where you place the mount bracket on your reel handle. You can set them up so that the flag goes off and the rod tips down or remains up. It's all in how you set it up for balance. I prefer to keep the bail closed when fishing larger minnows that may be able to trip the flag if the bail is left open. I just keep the drag lock backed off for little or no resistance. I prefer to set my mount bracket more forward on the rod handle so that I can fish with the bail open using smaller baits so the rod remains upright even after the flag trips. Sometimes on a hard strike or if the line has a bit of spool memory and doesn't flow through the guides smooth enough, it may still cause the rod to tip down. I got away from letting the rod tip drop down because I seemed to have more problems with the rod tipping down into slush, ice chips, or blowing snow etc. Especially if you don't see it go off right away causing some resistance the fish may feel and drop the bait. I guess it's a matter of preference, you just have to experiment with one and see what works best for you.... ;)WK

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2006, 07:06 PM »
Ive had good luck with fire line or power pro  almost no memory had fire line on two for three years I just use a mono or floro leader 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.