Author Topic: What hooks for "auto-set" tip-ups?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline mattcarlson7

• IceShanty Rookie
What hooks for "auto-set" tip-ups?
« on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:49 PM »
The lake I am fishing is strictly perch and trout, when trout hit they hit like semi's and any hook will do, but the perch are another story.  If you leave a tail on a crawler they will nail that first and set off the auto ruining the bite.  Thus far we have been strictly doing everything by hand which has been working. I need to make sure all the crawler is on the hook to make sure i get a good hook set.  The perch rarely get less than 9" and are up to 15" we catch 30-40 a day with 10 lines but I am hoping this will increase those numbers.

So what hooks do you use?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: What hooks for "auto-set" tip-ups?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Matt, you might get a response to your question if you put a location in your profile.    ;)2

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:22 PM »
I will need to personally test my hook selection on those perch before I can decide.  I have some good ideas so let me know when and where  --- and only as long as there aren't too many of those pesky 9 inches to cull through.

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:58 PM »
Try Eagle Claw Kahle's, I use them on my automatic fisherman and they work great, I usually have minnows on and if I miss a bite, I can see scars on the minnow and can tell the perch didn't get it all the way in. But since you're using grubs the kahle has lots of room to run a crawler on and still make any biter catch some hook. Use a snell knot on ones with an offset eye or a trilene/uni knot for regular eye. Hope this helps.

Offline mattcarlson7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:14 AM »
I will need to personally test my hook selection on those perch before I can decide.  I have some good ideas so let me know when and where  --- and only as long as there aren't too many of those pesky 9 inches to cull through.

Too bad we catch like 5 of those 9 inchers and maybe an 8 incher when we go out...they are called "Bait" more than likely too much "culling" for you!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Nice mess of perch.  I asked someone once if they had filled their 5 gallon bucket and he said " I learned a long time ago not to do that!"  Good advice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.