Author Topic: LAKE CHAMPLAIN WALLEYE SETUPS  (Read 5738 times)

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
LAKE CHAMPLAIN WALLEYE SETUPS
« on: Feb 12, 2007, 01:13 PM »
WHATS EVERYONES IDEAL SETUPS FOR CHAMPLAIN WALLEYES?

I USUALLY RUN MY TRAPS FROM 25'-10' OF WATER BETWEEN 2-4:30 P.M. THEN I RUN THEM 3'-10' OF WATER AFTER DARK. I LIKE TO BRING MY MINNOW UP OFF THE BOTTOM 1-2 FEET. I USUALLY USE EMERALD SHINNERS AROUND 2-4 INCHES LONG

WHATS UR IDEAL SETUP?

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE CHAMPLAIN WALLEYE SETUPS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2007, 07:27 PM »
i set my tip ups along dropoffs from 15 feet to about 6 feet in the afternoon and fish till about 8:00, i also use shiners but i also use baby suckers and fatheads, champlain is a tuff lake for walleyes and i usually only fish them when i feel like sittin back in the shanty and drinking lots of beer, could explain my missed hookups >:(, i have an aweful time connecting with them i miss prolly a 3rd or more of the fish that bit. if u got any tips on that please share
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2007, 11:55 AM »
adk iceman,
It might be one too many beers!  ;D

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2007, 05:47 PM »
adk... where do you usually fish for them???? lamoille river or up north by the red barn in swanton?

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:23 PM »
i live in whitehall at the southern end of the lake, i usually fish south bay or putnam station, i usually fish the champlain canal though if im after walleyes, still trying to figure out why there are so many walleyes in the canal but not so many in the lake it runs into
i have caught and released a couple small walleyes out of the lake this year while fishin crappies. hopefully they are making a comeback 8)

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2007, 05:39 PM »
That's why I just joined the LCWA.  Looking for fish down in the southern end.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:53 AM »
i have heard of some good fishing for eyes down south, but i strongly believe the best fishing is up north (Lamoille, missisquoi). Hopefully one of these days i can get down south and try a few new spots!!

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:07 AM »
yeah i hear the north end is a little better too, boy its a tough lake for eyes, i know a guys who does pretty well though near putnam station for them, he catches some big ones too, but he goes solo and wont tell where exactly he goes  ???. cant say that i blame him but i met up with him on shore there one afternoon and he had 4 walleyes and one was 8 pounds. that was last year

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:16 AM »
That's why I just joined the LCWA.  Looking for fish down in the southern end.
 yeah i think something needs to be done to bring them back. i practice catch and release when i do catch them (unless i catch a monster which i have yet to do). i think the state should dump the 8.6 million walleye fry that go into saratoga lake every year into champlain instead, saratoga seems like it has enough walleyes to sustain itself for the time being. just my opinoin

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:48 AM »
i went out last night till 9 pm and had 6 flags and landed 4 fish. A 6 lb, two 5 lb, and a 3 lb. A good nigt for the eyes, but i wish i could have stayed out longer!

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2007, 10:06 AM »
fishstalker u seem to have them conquered on champlain, whats ur secret? lol. i do jumping jacks when i catch one. maybe its just me  ???

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:55 PM »
i set up my traps in 4-10 feet of water, even 10 feet is too deep i believe!! i have most of my luck in 6-8 feet. run a couple rows of traps in those depths but put about 100 yards in between each row. i only fish the lamoille river mouth for my eyes. i have fished the same area for years so i know how, when, and were the fish cruise the flats   ;)   Plus walleyes are the only fish i persue all year long, nothing else!!

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:37 PM »
open water is my time to hunt the eyes, i do pretty good, i dont fish champlain for them though.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2007, 08:49 AM »
ill be going back out thursday, friday, saterday night.Ill keep you guys updated. ill try to remember to take some pictures before i throw them back down the hole!!  ::)  ::)    ~fishstalker

If you out by the lamoille river, and theres a gree jeep cherokee, come over and say hi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.