New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Foam Tube above transducer!  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Foam Tube above transducer!
« on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:01 PM »
What is the purpose of the foam tube that floats in the hole above the transducer. I see these on Vexilar and Hummingbird finders but not on Marcum. Seems like they would be in the way trying to get a fish out.

Online maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Foam Tube above transducer!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:07 PM »
It is suppose to float in the water and  hold your transducer straight up and down. Some locators have an arm on them to hold the transducer vertically.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:14 PM »
It is suppose to float in the water and  hold your transducer straight up and down. Some locators have an arm on them to hold the transducer vertically.
.          Like the marcums

Offline Ima Fishin addict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin the American dream
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:19 PM »
I never use the foam that comes with any of my fish finders... it’s just another thing that gets in the way.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:26 PM »
It’s just a depth stop for the transducer. If the ice is 2 feet thick, pull more ducer cable through the foam. If the ice is thinner, pull the cable back the other way to shorten it. I find it to be rather cumbersome and it takes up too much in the hole. I prefer the marcum arm style much more. A 1/4” cable is virtually unnoticeable in the hole compared to a 2” diameter hunk of foam.

As for why they continue to sell sonars with the foam, I don’t know. It’s probably something to do with intilectual property, patents, or some other lawyerly crap. It sure isn’t for convenience.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:32 PM »
I usually cut a hole right next to the hole I'm fishing for my vex.....I use the foam to keep the transducer from going to deer and tangling with a fish

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Seems strange but i like the float.seems like when a fish is fighting the disturbed water actually pushes the float to the side of the hole and out of the way.jmo

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:38 PM »
I typically use the vex arm on my units mounted on a propack, especially if I'm sitting in a shack, but use the float when hopping around on a sonic hopper type setup.  The float and extra cable allows you to drop it in the hole without bending over, winds up being easier and quicker.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:45 PM »
I never use the foam that comes with any of my fish finders... it’s just another thing that gets in the way.

X2...I use the eye bolt and stopper on mine; cable near back of hole. I'll pull it out when fish is hooked on occasion...just in case.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:31 PM »
When I bought my marcum I bought a float because i thought it would be easier, only lasted one trip and I went to the arm. Just less space taken up

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:31 PM »
the purpose of the float is to correctly position your transducer away from the edge of the ice...when you do not use the float you run the risk of having your transducer cord that touches the ice freeze in and can easily damage when removed. the foam prevents the freezing to the ice as well as making it hang straight down if you just dangle the cord into the hole from the eye-bolt you should be sure that your ducer isn't touching the side and kicked out to an angle giving you less accurate results for target separation and target I.D. And if you have ever had the cord freeze into the side and have to buy another $100 dollar transducer you might use the $5 float that weighs nothing.
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Another one of those preference deals. I do not use them and have not had a problem with the transducer at an angle or the cord freezing. But that's probably more due to me never being in a hole long enough for it to freeze if I am out of the tent and having the heater on while in the tent. If anything, the foam gets in my way when trying to bring a fish up.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:16 AM »
i don't jig often, but i can never get the foam tube to stop sliding up the transducer cable!!!!

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:35 AM »
On the vexilars...there is a rubber "knob" that slides up and down depending on ice depth that works as a "stop" for the float...if yours is missing contact vexilars I'm sure they can send you one.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:49 AM »
On the vexilars...there is a rubber "knob" that slides up and down depending on ice depth that works as a "stop" for the float...if yours is missing contact vexilars I'm sure they can send you one.

Yeah, my knob game isn't that strong apparently!

Offline Pullinslabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I just have a cheap hummingbird ice 35 so mine has a float that I hate. I went the cheap ghetto route and use a wire coat hanger. I just wrapped one end to the unit and the other end I bent into a circle around the cord. This way I can bend the wire wherever I want it and it's super quick and easy to adjust. Just don't let your buddies see it or they will laugh at you.

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:02 AM »
I usually cut a hole right next to the hole I'm fishing for my vex.....I use the foam to keep the transducer from going to deer and tangling with a fish

This! I've lost a lot of fish while tangled on the ducer cord, until I started doing that.

Online maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:12 AM »
I just have a cheap hummingbird ice 35 so mine has a float that I hate. I went the cheap ghetto route and use a wire coat hanger. I just wrapped one end to the unit and the other end I bent into a circle around the cord. This way I can bend the wire wherever I want it and it's super quick and easy to adjust. Just don't let your buddies see it or they will laugh at you.

Good Redneck move if it works it's got to be good.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:48 PM »
I'm new to the electronics game.  I just got an iceducer for my helix 5 chirp unit (open water not the ice unit).  How far down the hole are you supposed to have the ducer?  Just below the ice I'd imagine?  Any other suggestions for a newbie?
westernmas on the finder

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:58 PM »
that foam float has never done any thing for me but get in the way. If you let your ducer down below the ice it will hang verticly due to your friend gravity. as for a line stop, I simply tye a large rubber band to the cable and slip the open end around the knob on the side of my vex. simple as it can get. I guess there could be a possibility of the cable freezeing to the hole edge but if you move enough or catch a fish often enough you won't have to worry about it. Personally, if I sit at one hole long enough for the cable to freeze without catching a fish it's time to move.  problem solved

Online maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:11 PM »
I put the transducer so it is just under the water and have no problems.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:18 PM »
I'm going to try that . it will eliminate the fish getting wrapped up in the cable if it works

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:45 PM »
My marcum lx5 didn’t come with float. Wanted my sonar to sit other places than right next to hole down on the ice. Like on my jet sled shelf. I just used a piece of 1.5” pipe insulation and wrapped electrical tape tight around it. Enough friction to adjust up and down. I never touch my sonar, just plop the float and transducer into hole and when I move I just pull the cord and place in sled. My bucket seat stays in sled also. Nothing gets set on ice. I move a lot and wouldn’t if I had to set up a lawn sale everytime I stopped. My go to auger is a lazer 4” with synthetic flutes. Only pull the cord and remove tranducer from hole when it’s a fish i don’t want to chance losing, like trout. Perch come past it all day long. Once in awhile the hooks will snag on float but then I pull fish and float out at same time. Couldn’t live with having to clear slush berm and make nice just to have to put sonar way down there and right up to hole.
In my opinion, the float, even though too fat, is the only thing VEX has going for it! :)

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:29 PM »
I'm new to the electronics game.  I just got an iceducer for my helix 5 chirp unit (open water not the ice unit).  How far down the hole are you supposed to have the ducer?  Just below the ice I'd imagine?  Any other suggestions for a newbie?

Let ducer fall just under bottom of hole. Make sure it is long enough so it doesnt sit against side of hole

I also dont use foam. Its good if you never pull ducer out of water. It keeps ducer cord from freezing to side of hole if left there too long. If you have ever had a ducer line frozen to side of hole. It sucks.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:17 PM »
Just drill two holes right next to one another. Finder in one, fish the other.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:20 AM »

Hole hopping float when stationary extra hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.