Author Topic: smelts for bait?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
smelts for bait?
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:14 AM »
anyone in ct selling them? i could put in a permit and travel to maine to get them in bulk but id rather not have to travel that far for bait.
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: smelts for bait?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Are Alwives and smelt almost the same?  If so they have them in Danbury.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:24 PM »
is it legal to use those in the state i don't see them on the legal species bait list (elwifes)

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Maybe they were smelt. but I am pretty sure that candlewood is loaded with them. You can ask Candlewood bait and tackle in Danbury They would know

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Candlewood has alewives, not smelt. Colebrook is about the only place left in CT that has smelt...

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:03 PM »
blaine, can you get them in commercialy? or would i have to catch them to use

i did e-mail the state and i can apply for a permit to import them and can use them for bait if caught or purchased
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I can occassionally get them from my distributors, but they are not reliable when it comes to smelt... If you ever run into the motherload on one of your trips in Maine AND you have your CT bait permit, I'd be happy to buy some from you for either cash or store credit  ;)

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:40 PM »
it would be a personal use permit that i would get, if you get some in let me know ill be there in a flash to get them. also shoot me a message when the spikes come in that i ordered if its convenient
lifetime jigging goals:

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Your 1000 spikes will be in on Thursday morning but I'll shoot you a PM just to confirm. I get in at noon on Thursday, the shop is open till 6

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.