Author Topic: South Dakota  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
South Dakota
« on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:27 PM »
Going to make a trip up to Waubay the second week of Feburary, any Kansas fellas been up there yet or plan on going, went last year and had
a blast!

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Always say I'm going next year but never make it. Show us some pictures and good luck.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Are you going for walleye or panfish?

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Mainly yellow perch, we fished 2 days there last year and caught so many walleye, kind of got tired of catching them.
We have plenty of gill, crappie, and walleye here in Ks. the yellows are something different to fish for, plus they are the
best fish I have ever ate. I sure with they could get a good population  going in Ks.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:04 PM »
Room is booked for the 9th, 10th, and 11th. should hopefully have good weather there. Wont be able to sleep for the next week and a half!
Im more excited to get to use the new fish shack for the first time!

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:23 PM »
That's what I'm wanting to target my next trip north.  Are you going on a diy or guided trip?  Thinking of going north in a few weeks again if there is still good ice at Valentine refuge.  Also already planning a trip for next winter to green bay for a perch, whitefish, walleye trip.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Just googled waubay we and takes about the same time as Valentine ne.  Now you got me interested.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Diy this year and probly for any other trip. hired a guide service for 2 days last year and personally thought it was a waist of money, (will probly eat those words this year), they did put us on fish, but then just left us there all day. In talking with the guide before we went on the trip, I told him we wanted to
stay mobile and on top of the fish and that just did not happen. There was just too much down time between groups of fish that came through.
Would have a batch come through and pull 8 or 10 out in about half of an hour and then they would leave. Then there was down time for 2 to 3 hours
before next batch came through. I am agresive when it comes to ice fishing and wanted to be mobile and that just didnt happen. Talked with a couple
other groups of 2 to 3 guys and they said come and do it yourself next time. So I spent a ton of money of gear and going to become a pro, ha!

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:42 PM »
I actually have permission on an 800 acre private lake this year around Auther Neb. full of yellow perch, just not real big. Still 8 hour drive so same
distance to waubay but there is no walleye or pike in it. I would rather catch the big jumbos!

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:17 PM »
After some research and your input we are considering heading there in a few weeks.  The guide we had in nebraska guides that area all summer and said he would take us up to South Dakota if we needed a guide.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Awesome Mkeller, lot of areas to fish up there, not that I am experienced, but I did fish up there 2 different times on open water and fished
 fished Cattail, Kettle, Enemy swim, Pickeral and Waubay, but did not catch perch during open water. Caught a ton of crappie and smallies
on enemy and pickeral, a ton of eater walleye on waubay and huge walleye on cattail and kettle (5 to 7 pound fish) could not keep them cause too
big, but it was a blast. The main reason I hired a guide is cause I did not know what to expect, such as ice conditions, access, and snow pack.
We took a gamble last year and it worked out for us. This year I have watched the weather like a hawk and have planned trip accordingly. Calling for
1 to 3 " of snow on Tuesday so should not be to hard to get around with the truck. Accesses are in good shape and there is 27 to 30" of ice
on waubay, that is where we will spend our time, put lights in the shack tonight!

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:06 PM »
Mkeller, I would personally hire a guide from that area as they fish there daily. We used waubay lake guide service with Corey Euing, very freindly
and did a great job, just was not mobile like I wanted to be. He charges $150.00  a day and provides everything. Know that you may not get Cory
as your personal guide as he has 3 other guides that work for him.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Cory's crew are on a a great bite right now. Top notch guides!! They will get you on fish.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Good info.  Have you ever fished the Wausau wildlife refuge?  Here is a # I was given by my guy that I used in nebraska that also guides that area all summer for up to date fishing reports and ice conditions.  605-345-2468.  Are there  rereasonable lodging close?  Any recommendations?

Offline DannyBoy09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Stumper   nice to see you post again..Are you still working in Mitchell? Hope things are going good for you.

Offline dkv/brushpile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Pamona sent you a PM.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Mkeller, not familiar with that area. Have stayed at the Galley motel and very clean with great service, in fact, I was asking the front desk
gal some questions on some of the lakes and she was helpful, in fact about an hour later after speaking with her, she printed off a bunch
of lake maps and brought them to our room, I was very impressed as I did not ask her to to that. Super bunch of people in that area.
Rooms were 74.00 a night. The bait shop, Sportmans Cove has lodging for 50.00 a night for 2 guys and thats who I tried to get year.
We are going to stay at Boomers this year, 68.00 a night. There are a ton of other places, but these are the ones I am familiar with.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:24 PM »
Stumper   nice to see you post again..Are you still working in Mitchell? Hope things are going good for you.

Thanks,I have stepped away from icefishing a bit, but check in hear on occasion.  Yes I am still in Mitchell, but I am no longer with Cabelas. 15 years was enough, LOL. I am now at Sodak Sports. Stop in if you get to the area. We are located just South of Cabelas on the other side of the street.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Son and I are heading up Thursday thru Sunday.  Will be in a white 4 door f150 4x4 so if you see say hi.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Had a good trip up north and met some great people!

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:18 AM »
It was a good trip and decent fishing.  It was great meeting you and your son.  Already planning next year's trips!

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Yes sir Mkeller, great time, and I am already looking at lake maps and such, definately need to get a trip or 2, or 3, for
next year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.