The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smelt, how do you catch them?  (Read 848 times)

Offline 2FishinBuddies

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smelt, how do you catch them?
« on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:15 AM »
I've tried everything I can think of. The ones I can see just under the ice are 3 maybe 4". I manage to get a few of them but can't get anything deeper. Any advice greatly appreciated

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Smelt, how do you catch them?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:21 AM »
1" hali jig tipped with a small piece of smelt flesh, or a couple of maggots. Use the lightest ultralight ice rod you have with 2# test.
A flasher helps to see what depth they're stacked up the thickest at, and a green glow light if fishing after dark works great too.
Good luck!

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:15 AM »
1" hali jig tipped with a small piece of smelt flesh, or a couple of maggots. Use the lightest ultralight ice rod you have with 2# test.
A flasher helps to see what depth they're stacked up the thickest at, and a green glow light if fishing after dark works great too.
Good luck!

X2. I've tried small tungsten jigs but they tend to get off the hook when reeling in. Hali works best. It's a very light bite and takes some experience to get used to. If it is cold or windy, shivering/wind doesn't help see or feel the bite.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Rest your fishing rod on a bucket.  Helps to see the slightest bite especially if their not very aggressive.
FLAG!!

Offline 2FishinBuddies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Ive been using hali tipped with maggot. Spent past 2 nights jigging got 23. One 8" the rest 3-4. Resting rods was best but I still had trouble with getting the to take the bait.

Offline 2FishinBuddies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2018, 10:03 AM »
I'm sure my line is not 2lb. I think it may be 4 or even 6 on the one rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.