New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chautauqua Thread  (Read 57935 times)

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
Re: Chautauqua Thread
« Reply #480 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Fished mayville yesterday  got a lot of blue gill and sunnies my dad brother and me got a few crappie  and we all got SUNBURNED  it was such a beautiful day to sit out on the ice  had to take my coat off cuz it was tooo hott i have never said that ice fishing befor could of wore a sweater and jeans for awhile there lol :thumbsup:
excellent.  how was the ice holding - shore ice in particular?
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline PerchPirate97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #481 on: Mar 10, 2010, 11:47 AM »
doc, mayville ice is holding strong. 8 inches black ice, 6 inches white, 2 inches slush on top. the shore is still solid at the popular launching points at the park and by the belle. hav'nt been out to deep water in the past week.

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #482 on: Mar 10, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Fished BT (two of us, third out @ 6:45 this morning) - kept 9’s or better (perch) - stopped @ 70 even (2:00 in the afternoon) - we were the farthest 2 guys to the left ... the game plan today was to be ready for that fast and furious when it hit ... a rod each, (on the outside) and two between us - when they came in at 9:30 for the rush, we piled 50 or more in a half hour - up and down, arms just ‘a swingin’ wild (we probably looked like a couple of high school band conductors, tryin’ to keep rhythm to Rap music for a few minutes there)... the before and after rush was basically on and off - but the bite was ‘nuf all day to keep your interest (mostly on the lower rig with tear drop minnow)- the bite really wasn’t that bad ... we iced a little over a hundred today ... 35 -40 guys out at peak time, and it looked like the ice generally slowed off for everyone around noon till we called it at 2:00 ... the top is still perfect 8” - 12” white - below is 8”-12” black - no real slush issue to speak of - and the top is basically compacted, frozen slush - even as warm as it was today when we left ...

Hittin’ the show @ the Hamburg fair grounds tomorrow - but the plan is to be sittin’ over those same holes I’ve been fishing now (6 times) since last Tuesday again this Friday, and or Saturday ... predicted rain might be the only issue.

See you then ...

***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline mikeymjr23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #483 on: Mar 10, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Fished tonight...5-8pm.  Tons of folks at Magnolia.

Someone had their date with a legal sized Mr. Walter...I will let him tell the story though...

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #484 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:09 PM »
fished today in bemus 3 people 3 small perch. Decided to go out this afternoon/evening went with mikey,snowmandan, and my son joseph. Ice is in good shape. I finally caught a couple legal walleyes . Both fatties the first 18 1/2" the second 21" missed a coulple more. Thanks for the help mike and dan. Happy I decided to go after the eyes instead of the crappies tonight. Back to the perch tomorrow with pete/ny and my wife. Hopefully she gets some fish she has been on a couple of very slow trips this year. Went to the belltower dec was there and wifey did not have her license on her so we went somewhere else, not tomorrow.

Offline mikeymjr23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #485 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Anytime Marcus!  Tonight was fun...even if I did miss one >:(

haha.  Thanks for gettin me out there!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #486 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:29 PM »
no problem anytime we'll work something out for fri. evening.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #487 on: Mar 11, 2010, 04:51 AM »

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #488 on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:17 AM »
great post trouts, if you want help with the cleanup pm me. I fished BT often this year and want to do a cleanup there, if anyone wants to help PM me. we may be on thin ice with the Institute for next year, spoke with a gentleman one morning while getting ready to go out fishing, he informed me he has a relative that works at the institute and there's been some discussion (Negative) as to the high volume of vehicles for fishing this year. I'm going to post a thankyou sign near the BT so they know we appreciate them letting us park, and also plan on sending an E-mail to the Institute thanking them. I will post on this site the E-mail address for the INST. for anyone that cares to thank them. Had to pick up some garbage around the lower parking area on Tues., guess what was 20 feet from the gabage I found, yup a garbage can, go figure. OK off to the sportsman show.

If anyone would care to send a thankyou for allowing us to park at the BT Here's an E-mail address for Chautauqua Institute, this address is for CI general Info, its the best one I could find on there website.
  [email protected] <[email protected]>

Later

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #489 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:49 PM »
CLEAN UP: i have no clue when but now that the snows starting to leave ill start this all off. i got a full size F150 and plan on getting a yard of top soil this year and heading around the lake to the heavily fished areas. if anyone wants to have a meet up somewhere on the lake in the next two weeks on the weekend would be great. the more hands and tools the better. i figured go to maple springs, vikings and bell tower to help clean up. even if someone else wants to get another load of dirt would be great! already talked to a couple groups to get pics and stuff in the local paper to so that we're doin our part. we should all just meet and try to carpool as much as we all can. longpoint would be a good meeting place i figured. anyone can pm me. i figured with 10 guys or so we can have it done in quick time. bring some beverages, tools, or even if you cant work but have the tools bring them!! anyone see any other private areas we use let me know about it and then ill figure out how much dirt we're gonna need. thanks guys. figuring on like 2 weeks cause im not giving up on the hard water til the end. its still in good shape

Offline waltergirl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'To fish or not to fish' What a stupid question.
« Reply #490 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:15 PM »
excellent.  how was the ice holding - shore ice in particular?
well tuesday  shore ice was still good and the ice it self was  i'd say atleast a foot or more so we got a lil more time a little slushy where theres snow but  the snowmobile trail was easy walking
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles." Every fisherman or woman  has a story. Only a select few have proof.

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #491 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:49 PM »
anyone know how the ice is holding up at maple springs and watergirl are you able to sight fish in mayville is the water cleard enuff for it just wondering i used to fish around the buffalo area and i like to sight fish its cool watching the fish come in i mean i got a camera but i honestly think the camera scares the fish away cause when i pull that up an use my vexilar i get way more fish
case lake tourney 5th in trout 2009- cuba lake 2005 biggest perch harwood lake tourney 2nd in crappie 2010

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #492 on: Mar 11, 2010, 06:28 PM »
I am not sure of the shoreline at MS but I know the main ice is hoding up very well. It was a bit slushy but still over a foot of decent/good ice. The perch were slow and steady today. One last night trip tomorrow  walleye till dark then finding some crappies into the dark.

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #493 on: Mar 11, 2010, 08:26 PM »
well the dates for the cleanup are gonna be the 27th or 28th. whichever day that week that the weather looks to be better for those involved.

Offline waltergirl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'To fish or not to fish' What a stupid question.
« Reply #494 on: Mar 12, 2010, 09:05 AM »
anyone know how the ice is holding up at maple springs and watergirl are you able to sight fish in mayville is the water cleard enuff for it just wondering i used to fish around the buffalo area and i like to sight fish its cool watching the fish come in i mean i got a camera but i honestly think the camera scares the fish away cause when i pull that up an use my vexilar i get way more fish
Im not to sure if you can sight fish might be a lil mucky cuz of all the snow melting from the  creeks and stuff but it probably wouldnt hurt to try it  ;)
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles." Every fisherman or woman  has a story. Only a select few have proof.

Offline Addicted Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #495 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Was on the lake Friday and put up with some sloppy conditions but was still pleased to see over a foot of black ice in mayville. fishing not great for me  but i will look again first thing monday morning . otherwise i owe the lake nothing as we absolutly cleaned up this year ;D

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #496 on: Mar 15, 2010, 12:08 PM »
... had a GREAT time on Chautauqua this year - but it looks like that’s it for the Ol’ C-Bisket this season on the ice - caught a TON of perch out there this year - probably fished it near 25 times - freezer’s plenty full - must’a iced well over a 1,000 perch this year - and hope to do better next year - (I've been fishin' old school, and savin’ up for one of those Vex’e Marcum brain mesmerize’r machines) - BIG thanks goes out to ALL that shared on this thread (and the “Reports and Conditions” thread) ... your posts were always helpful - even if those GPS coordinates someone left on here that one time about the real HOT Honey hole, ended up leading me to the rest rooms at the Kwik Fill gas Station down there in Mayville (pay back a bit*h you know) ...

This was my first season back (and on this Lake ice) after 5-6 years of a rough road and recovery from receiving that “Gift of Life” thing (Liver transplant) back just 3 years ago - with a minor setback of 3 Heart bypasses last year ... we’re only here one time I say - get it all while we can ... no excuses for not being out there!

We’ll see you over on the new summer open water site (myfishfinder.com)... I ain’t gots a boat no more - but my hand knows how to reach in my wallet and fits that gas pump handle fairly well for fishin’ gas~! ... drop a note - I’m there!

... the ice is STILL fishable for a couple days at best... good luck - be safe!

Thanks for everything guys (and Ladies)... had a blast ~!

Don (C-B)
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #497 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:18 PM »
always great posts C-biscuit
wood is good

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #498 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:33 PM »
always great posts C-biscuit

I second that.  Good to meet ya this year CB.  C - U on the flip side.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #499 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:04 AM »
any way we can make this a fishing forum in general since the ice is gone? or does anyone know of another forum for western new york?
-Chris

Offline hunterdeneugene

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #500 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:25 AM »
www.myfishfinder.com there is a link at the bottom of this page

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #501 on: Mar 20, 2010, 08:26 AM »
ah ok, thanks a lot!
-Chris

Offline kas

• IceShanty Rookie
lost flasher unit
« Reply #502 on: Mar 20, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Lost a Lowrance Xc67 flasher unit in Mayville Beach/Bathhouse parking lot the week of March 15th.  GREATLY MISSED!!.  Any info please PM me. Thank You.

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #503 on: Mar 25, 2010, 10:48 PM »
just a friendly reminder that theres gonna be a get together saturday morning if anyone can make or lend a hand to clean up around the lake. anyone is welcome. gonna meet up at longpoint around 9 am and hopefully do some car pooling and clean up all of the areas we fish most. pm me if you need anything

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.