Author Topic: 41"/20 lb. pike  (Read 12986 times)

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: 41"/20 lb. pike
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Thanks again guys but I repeat......this entire post is from LAST MARCH!  ;)

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:47 PM »
Tip-up,
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out... either way, you are the man.  Those are some HOGS!!!  Anything like that this year though?  We have only had about 4 days of ice here in Indiana, and it's gone.  Got an extra bunk up there in Gods Country?
Carp

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Where you fishing in Indiana?  Was on the ice December 19th and fished up until December 30th.  Hopefully another week or so we will be back on, hopefully they are wrong about the warm weather coming, they were wrong about the 5 inches of snow today.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2005, 05:44 AM »
Thats a real slobber!!! Congrats!

borntofishforbass

« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:23 AM »
gotta love catching fish like that!

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Yep  ;)
Tip Up how do you make your quik strikes.Can you show a picture.I've been wanting to set some up any info appreciated.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline icemaster_71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Time to cath the Kahuna this year!!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2005, 01:25 PM »
Here's a few nice ones I got on December 21st last month.  The biggest is 29 1/2" the other 2 nice ones are 27 and 26 1/2".  Not bad for a good mess of fish ey?
Dont let the big one get away!

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:58 PM »
Tip Up how do you make your quik strikes.Can you show a picture.I've been wanting to set some up any info appreciated.

Here ya go PERCHPULLER. I use a 12" - 15" piece of 30 lb. wire leader material. That's a Canadian quarter for size reference. Hope this helps:

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2005, 07:30 AM »
Thats what I was looking for do you tie them yourself.I've never done it before with the wire material is it difficult?Where do you find the supplies?Dont mean to be a pain by asking so masny questions but want to get rigged up with these sets.I've experimented with some other set ups but like these better than anything I've seen in the local shops.thanx for the info ;D

Offline dirtface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2005, 11:00 AM »
man i had to look at the same pike pictures on 3 different posts. decent catch but even here in mass if i only caught a 29 incher i'd be bummed at the end of the day.i hope your eating em. i never tried pike.that might have to do with the warning signs dont consume fish have loads of mercury..nice fish by tip-up.(just thought they should be 40's up north. maybe i wont waste my timetrying to catch a 40 someday. ill catch 1 here the 20.3 my ex-buddy(that's a hole nother story) was 40 1/2" they eat good here at heaven, now bring on the f#$%^@ng ICE.ill get a scanner some day to post pics. what if i took a digital of my 35mm pics. would that work hmmmmmmmm. willllllmmaaaaa

Offline icemaster_71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2005, 06:31 PM »
man i had to look at the same pike pictures on 3 different posts. decent catch but even here in mass if i only caught a 29 incher i'd be bummed at the end of the day.i hope your eating em. i never tried pike.that might have to do with the warning signs dont consume fish have loads of mercury..nice fish by tip-up.(just thought they should be 40's up north. maybe i wont waste my timetrying to catch a 40 someday. ill catch 1 here the 20.3 my ex-buddy(that's a hole nother story) was 40 1/2" they eat good here at heaven, now bring on the f#$%^@ng ICE.ill get a scanner some day to post pics. what if i took a digital of my 35mm pics. would that work hmmmmmmmm. willllllmmaaaaa
I agree I would'nt be eating all of em' if I caught them here in Maine.  Nope I caught all these up in Wisconsin so nothing to be worried about up there.  I was kinda bummed that I could only catch my biggest one at 29 1/2" but someday I'll get that 40" + pike up here in Northern Maine or Canada, Just gotta find out where they're hiding out.

Offline icemaster_71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2005, 06:36 PM »
Here you dont have to look at all the same fish I do have other pics.  The biggest one here is only 27" I wish I could've caught the fish trying to eat this one!!!

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2005, 05:03 PM »
Thats what I was looking for do you tie them yourself.I've never done it before with the wire material is it difficult?Where do you find the supplies?Dont mean to be a pain by asking so masny questions but want to get rigged up with these sets.I've experimented with some other set ups but like these better than anything I've seen in the local shops.thanx for the info ;D
Found everything at Gander Mountain new rigs ready for this weekend.Thanx again for info and photo

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2005, 10:41 AM »
Beautiful fish! Get her on your quick strike rigs your were making the other night?

-Scott
Do you guys make you quick strike rigs from steel wire or other materials??
I like to use braided line with beads and blades on them to add flash. Let me know it you have tried this material. Years past I have had to increase the lines LB to 30-40lb ???
NICE FISH
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2005, 03:23 AM »
Impressive pike tip-up. Nothin like that in SE Wi.  My biggest ever was a 30"/11 lb. fatttie. Gotta scan the crappy polorid pic of it some day.

Average pike from last year. about 26"
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2005, 07:10 AM »

Here ya go PERCHPULLER. I use a 12" - 15" piece of 30 lb. wire leader material. That's a Canadian quarter for size reference. Hope this helps:

(Image removed from quote.)
Another question on the quick strikes I made some up and used them last weekend do you have problems with the back hook sliding down and curling up the minnow?The big suckers we were using seemed to want to curl or am I hooking them wrong?Any info appreciated.Thanx

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2005, 10:53 PM »
 Nice bunch of pike ya got there, looks like a deffinate fun day on the ice.
Jason

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:41 PM »
i use a few different kinds of quick strike rigs very simlar to this one, i also like to have shrink tubing on the upper hook as well, also use t shaped rigs some of the time caught my biggest pike this year(44") on a rig nearly identical to the one posted above.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2005, 09:32 PM »
PerchPuller -

I use mostly 10" - 12" tulibees (ciscoes) for bait. They will sometimes curl up but only from the tension of repeadily bringing them up. I will usually leave my rigs alone once they're set so it's not much of a problem for me. I know a few guys that tie a slipbobber type knot onto the wire below the sliding treble to keep their bait from curling up. You could try that if you're having a problem.

Hope this helps.

The Pack

« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:30 AM »
Big enough so that you won't want to go skinny dipping where those critters swim!

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Beauty!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.