The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keeping Holes Open  (Read 1336 times)

Offline paullo19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keeping Holes Open
« on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:19 PM »
How do you icefisher people keep your fishing holes from freezing up? I like to set out a tip down or 2 but when it is cold it becomes a hassle of constantly scooping off the coating of ice. I realize it is icefishing but there has to be an easy solloution to this problem... Thanks for your help,Paul

Offline deerlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keeping Holes Open
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I just dip mine regularly.  I know you can buy things where the line goes through a little tube of some chemical so that line don't freeze just the water around the tube.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Tip up's I don't worry about it much, it's not hard to chip away 1/8" - 1/4" of ice if you get a flag. I like the ice scoop with the little chisel end on it.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2013, 01:36 PM »
You could try making some hole covers out of old carpet, foam, rubber.  Someone on here once recommended ping pong balls spray painted black to attract the heat from the sun.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I have use those blue foam rubber camping pads you lay your sleeping bag on work good you can cut 3 or 4 squares out of one mat. Slice it in the middle and use to cover your holes with a tip up in the middle, cover the edges with snow / slush holes won't freeze for a long time and keeps snow from blowing in hole. I have also heard of drilling another hole right next to a hole but not all the way through just down a little, then chisel out hole so water goes to the partial hole then put a metal coffee can with charcoal in partial hole it will heat the water and keep both holes open. Sounds like too much trouble for me.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:45 AM »
I also just use the mats, light enough that they add virtually no weight, can't break them, cheap to replace, and keep the holes clean. With just a slit in the center they'll just come up with the tip up when pulled out of the ice.
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Old semi mud flaps cut to size works or old rubber bed matt from the back of a truck cut to the shape you want also works. I've heard years ago they use to put vegetable oil in the hole, but I DON'T recommend it for it contaminates the water and is illegal!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:49 AM »
Just rubber mats will keep the snow out, but the closed cell foam rubber camping mats have more insulation, don't soak up water, and are lighter weight and don't stick to the ice. I have been using the same ones for years. Just don't let them blow away in the wind, the only problem with being so light weight. I also use a piece to kneel on when setting up, soft and keeps the knee's dry.

Offline BaieClement44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:08 AM »
I've been using "ice quivers" for a few years and they work for me.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Cut some covers out of high density foam. Cut a slit to fit to fit around the shaft and cover the hole with the trap on top. I have some out of 1/2 " thick material and in - 10 weather have had no freezing problems. They are nice for two other reasons. 1- no light down the hole on clear shallow lakes 2- even if it is warm and there is a wind, no drifting the trap in.

WS

Offline icecold23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:52 PM »
I usually use an aerator off of one of minnow buckets...  Works great for one hole, but not so much for multiple holes.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:29 AM »
... but the closed cell foam ...

Make some covers out of anything closed cell foam.  I bought a pack of these (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202019834/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=foam+floor+mat&storeId=10051#.URT9nh3WKYQ and was able to get 4 covers out of each panel, 16 total.  Kept a few for myself and gave the rest to buddies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.