The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 227339 times)

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #660 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:44 PM »
I am curious as to how many lines I can fish on Saratoga Lake in Saratoga. I’ve looked at the regs and the wording confuses me to be honest and I can’t tell if the special lakes are 2 or 6 and vice versa. I apologize if it’s a dumb question but better to be safe than sorry I guess?
Thank you

Offline wyomingchad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #661 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Two lines at Saratoga.  Listed on page 7 and  8 are the lakes where 6 lines can be used.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/WYFISHINGREGS_BROCHURE.pdf

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #662 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:06 PM »
I got some crazy info today from a reliable source. Today I was asked if I ever new about Paddle fish being stocked in the bighorn river. South of Thermopolis. I said what?? Paddle fish. He said Yes and I guess there will be a season. I can't find anything about it but he stated looking at what he has found that game and fish has been stocking for a couple years. So can someone please concur/verify!! Do I have to keep going to Montana in the spring to chase a dinosaur? Or am I going to be able to stay in Wyoming. Is there a season or when does it begin? I'm just curious if we are giving it a shot.
No one left behind.     

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #663 on: Dec 21, 2018, 06:57 AM »
It’s not paddle fish, it’s sturgeon, just watched the video yesterday, I fish that stretch of river fairly often and I’m pretty excited about them
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #664 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Yes RBMCHIEF is correct- The fish you are talking about is a Sturgeon and the G&F have been releasing them for quite a while now in the Bighorn River. You don't have to go clear down to Thermopolis either as they originate from Lovell down towards Thermopolis..

The only problem is you don't hear of many folks catching them- Don't know if there are better ways to fish for them that would raise your chance of catching one, but i'm sure there could be..
Marvin

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #665 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:16 PM »
I would like to ask what the pro/cons of buying small black crappie from out of state and stocking them in local fisheries versus transplanting crappie from keyhole. It seems as though transplanting a more mature fish would be better for both sportsman and the pocket book, as well as possibly helping the crappie fishery in keyhole. ... maybe I’m just shooting in the dark.

Offline Chase..str

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #666 on: Dec 28, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Looking to go out to wheatland 1 on the 31st and ice fish does anyone know what the ice conditions are like or should be like by then.

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #667 on: Dec 31, 2018, 04:55 PM »
This is a request statewide on a couple of questions. Along with Bass Lake how many other waterbodies in Wyoming have been illegally stocked with yellow perch? How many could the state rehabilitate and at what cost? How many waterbodies in Wyoming have been illegally stocked with tiger muskies? How much has it cost the state to rehabilitate the illegally stocked tiger muskies waterbodies? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Offline MJA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #668 on: Jan 01, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I’d like to apologize for getting hooked on a troll from another. This thread is for information not for banter. I’m sorry for misusing and spewing my opinions when not asked for.

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #669 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:11 AM »
I would like to ask what the pro/cons of buying small black crappie from out of state and stocking them in local fisheries versus transplanting crappie from keyhole. It seems as though transplanting a more mature fish would be better for both sportsman and the pocket book, as well as possibly helping the crappie fishery in keyhole. ... maybe I’m just shooting in the dark.

We have done both in the Casper Region.  We can get Crappie from other states through trades (we do not buy them, rather we trade trout from our hatcheries for crappie from theirs).  The benefit of trading with other states is we can get big numbers and it is inexpensive compared to transplanting.  For example, the load we got this year from Arkansas was around 60,000 fish which went to four different waters around the state.  In cases where we want to stock bigger fish to essentially jump start a fishery with spawning age adults, our only option is to transplant.  This activity is much more labor intensive to catch wild fish with trap nets and electrofishing.  Also, they are much larger so we are looking at only being able to move 600 or so in a single truck.  This equates to the cost being much greater to transplant versus stocking the hatchery fish.  But each method has it's particular uses so we take all information into consideration when making management decisions for a particular water.

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #670 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:32 AM »
This is a request statewide on a couple of questions. Along with Bass Lake how many other waterbodies in Wyoming have been illegally stocked with yellow perch? How many could the state rehabilitate and at what cost? How many waterbodies in Wyoming have been illegally stocked with tiger muskies? How much has it cost the state to rehabilitate the illegally stocked tiger muskies waterbodies? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Based on a statewide review of illegal fish introductions done by the University last year, there have been 18 instances of Yellow Perch showing up in water bodies where the G&F either did not stock them (public waters) or authorize the stocking of (private ponds).  13 of those introductions resulted in establishment of reproducing populations.  Two populations were eradicated (likely rotenone treatments) and one population was managed through reduction in numbers.  I do not have cost estimates but suffice it to say it is very expensive.  Further, eradication of an unwanted species is not always feasible.  The larger the waterbody, the more expensive it is to remove them if you can even be successful.

To my knowledge, Tiger Muskie have not been illegally stocked anywhere in the state. 

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #671 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:52 AM »
With the change in ownership of Healy Reservoir can you use a four-wheeler to access the lake like other bodies of water?
Thanks

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #672 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:09 AM »
With the change in ownership of Healy Reservoir can you use a four-wheeler to access the lake like other bodies of water?
Thanks
The short answer right now is no.  A new management plan with the State Engineers Office and the Wyoming Water Development Commission is still in the works. We are not 100% of how the plan will develop and/or if ATV's will be part of the plan or not. Historical rules still apply.
Hope this helps.

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #673 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Thanks  :tipup:

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #674 on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Thank you for the responses to our recent questions greatly appreciate having you guys on the site!!

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #675 on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Sir;  Thank you for the reply on my illegal stocking questions.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #676 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:46 AM »
I am very confused about the rule nonattendance of fishing lines while ice fishing at night.  I have been told by one G&F warden that it is OK to go to sleep at night  as long as you are within the 300 yard rule of your lines.  I was told by another that a warden has the discretion to say no you are not in attendance if you are sleeping while fishing.  I can not find anything about fishing when sleeping, so what is the truth.  I did not think a warden can decide what a regulation is that conflicts with what another states.   Please help me find the answer.
olefish

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #677 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Hey olefish. If it's not in the regulations than I think the 300 yd rule applies. And any warden that tells you different is wrong. In relation to the law, if there is nothing written that interprets sleeping as not being within 300yds of your lines there is no way they could win that case as presented in court. No citation or regulation says no sleeping while fishing g. I find that when some wardens don't know the answer, they will make one up that sounds right. The majority don't. But some do. I worked as a legal intern in Yellowstone for a summer for the us attorneys office, and saw a few interesting things done by rangers. Most were great and on point.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #678 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:53 PM »
Hey olefish. If it's not in the regulations than I think the 300 yd rule applies. And any warden that tells you different is wrong.

waterlike:

Would you explain your quote above a little more? 

ClearCreek

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #679 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:23 PM »
Except as otherwise provided, sh shall only be taken or shed for with a maximum of two (2) rods or poles, with lines and hooks attached and the angler in attendance. No line may have more than three (3) single hooked devices attached. Itis legal to use hand lines, set lines, poles, or tip ups when shing through the ice and the angler is in attendance.
Internal organs, eggs, eyes, ns, and skin of game sh are the only portions that may be used legally as bait. Any part of nongame sh may be used as bait. The use of bait may be restricted on specic waters as described in the Area Regulations on pages 21-31. Use or possession of bait is prohibited in areas or on waters where shing is permitted by the use of articial ies and lures only. Corn may be possessed and used as bait in all waters where shing with bait is permitted.
It is unlawful to snag sh.
A trout bead xed on a line or leader two (2) inches or less from the eye of a bare hook is considered an articial lure. Fishing with a trout bead more than two (2) inches from the eye of a bare hook or articial y is considered snagging and is prohibited.
It is unlawful to take, wound or destroy sh with a rearm of any nature or by using poison, deleterious drug, electrical device, chemical, explosive or any similar substance or device. It is legal to take nongame sh with archery equipment without a license or permit, but it is always unlawful to take game sh with archery equipment.
Articial light may be used while shing with legal shing methods except as prohibited for Underwater Spear Gun Fishing below.
STATEWIDE REGULATIONS
Underwater Spear Gun Fishing
Fish may be taken by underwater spear gun shing only in lakes. No person shall use an underwater spear gun to take game sh under water without obtaining a shing license.
The use of articial light to take game sh with a spear gun is prohibited.
No game sh may be taken unless the underwater spear gun sherman is completely submerged.
All spears used on spear guns shall be attached to the spear gun with a lanyard with a maximum length of twenty (20) feet. Underwaterspeargunshingisnotpermittedwithinonehundred
(100) yards of any designated swimming or water ski areas, boat dock, ramp or spillway.
A diver ag shall be displayed on the water when diving or underwater spear gun shing. It shall be a rectangular ag that is either blue and white in color (alpha ag) or red in color with a white diagonal stripe (diving ag), not less than twelve (12) inches xtwelve (12) inches and displayed noless than three(3)feetabove the surface of the water.
The limit on walleye taken by spear gun shall be two (2) per day or in possession, except where designated as nongame sh or where otherwise provided for Alcova Reservoir in Section 33. All other general and water-specic creel and possession limits shall apply.
SPECIAL WINTER ICE FISHING PROVISION
The following method restrictions apply for waters covered by the Special Winter Ice Fishing Provision.
• The use of more than two (2) lines is permitted only during the ice covered period, and only when the angler is shing through the ice, on waters listed below as being included under the Special Winter Ice Fishing Provision.
• No person shall use more than six (6) lines at any time tosh.
• When using more than two (2) lines, the angler’s name shall be attached to each line, pole or tip-up; the angler shall be no more than three hundred (300) yards from all lines; and, the angler shall check his/her own lines.
The following waters are included under the Special Winter Ice Fishing Provision:
• Alcova Reservoir
• Big Horn Lake in Big Horn County
• Big Sandy Reservoir
• Boulder Lake in Sublette County
• Boysen Reservoir
• Deaver Reservoir in Park County
• Flaming Gorge Reservoir
• Fontenelle Reservoir in Lincoln County
• Glendo Reservoir
• Goldeneye Reservoir
• Gray Reef Reservoir
• Grayrocks Reservoir
• Guernsey Reservoir
• Harrington Reservoir in Big Horn County
• Hawk Springs Reservoir
• Keyhole Reservoir
• Kortes Reservoir
• Lake DeSmet
• Lake Hattie
• Ocean Lake in Fremont County
• Pathnder Reservoir
• Pilot Butte Reservoir
• Seminoe Reservoir
• Sulphur Creek Reservoir in Uinta County
• Wardell Reservoir
• Wheatland Reservoir #1 in Platte County
• Wheatland Reservoir #

So, you need to be in "attendance ".    :)

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #680 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:35 PM »
I think the issue here is what does being "in attendance" actually mean.  That is, how close to your fishing rods do you have to be when you are not holding them in your hand(s).

ClearCreek

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #681 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Clear Creek - i was going on what olefish stated, and didn't look closely at the regs before posting. After reading it, You and Matt r I think are correct. It comes down to the meaning of in attendance. I doubt that there is any case law in Wyoming expanding on what in attendance means. And without case law or any other explanation in the regulations or Wyoming statutes, the wardens will interpret "in attendence" how they were taught or see it themselves. I assume. Everything I'm saying is off the top of my head so take it with alot of salt  :) if you do get a ticket for sleeping within 300 yds of your lines, fight it all the way to wy supreme Court and we could get a better definition of in attendance  :) an interesting situation that often occurs is what if the person has alarms on their tipups like bluetipz that will wake them up right when the the flag goes up? What about the guy who is bobber fishing in the middle of the day and falls asleep and drops the pole. Is he in attendance? Laws are hard  :)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #682 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:10 AM »
Growing up, I know that even when I fell asleep in class, I was still marked as “attended”  ;D

In all seriousness, it sounds like one officer was confused or making something up. It’s common practice for people who camp out at these lakes in the winter, to leave their tip ups out over night, and nobody has been ticketed or even pestered, that I know about.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #683 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:46 AM »
When using more than two (2) lines, the angler’s name shall be attached to each line, pole or tip-up; the angler shall be no more than three hundred (300) yards from all lines; and, the angler shall check his/her own lines.

What that means is: If you are within 300 feet of your line you are in "ATTENDANCE". That is the regulation.
Marvin

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #684 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:08 PM »
Just my opinion but,

I think  it (like a lot of our game and fish regulations )  is written with a bit of "grey area" purposely .

If an angler is quietly enjoying the outdoors ice fishing, obeying all park and  general rules, he will never have a problem with the g&f .
Even if he takes a snooze for 5 or 6 hours in the dead of the night while his lines are soaking, ( so to speak).

Now, if you're a drunk Jerk raising hell with everybody around you,  hauling but on your atv, flags up and not checking anything, leaving trash everywhere, you're probably going to find out that officers definition of " in attendance ".. :)

But, that's just my opinion . ;D

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #685 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:26 PM »
Hahahahaha! Beautifully put!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #686 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:16 PM »
 Why isn't the roach gulch reservoir managed as a fishery?

Offline Yellowstoner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #687 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:32 PM »
I got some crazy info today from a reliable source. Today I was asked if I ever new about Paddle fish being stocked in the bighorn river. South of Thermopolis. I said what?? Paddle fish. He said Yes and I guess there will be a season. I can't find anything about it but he stated looking at what he has found that game and fish has been stocking for a couple years. So can someone please concur/verify!! Do I have to keep going to Montana in the spring to chase a dinosaur? Or am I going to be able to stay in Wyoming. Is there a season or when does it begin? I'm just curious if we are giving it a shot.

Even if they were to stock them somewhere, they don't run back up river for at least 15 years.  The one I got last year (88lbs) was 48 years old.  It'd be quite a while before you could harvest one that would be worth taking.

Offline Jblazek2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #688 on: Dec 05, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Thanks for the help!

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #689 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Sirs:
  I was wondering how to get a reply from the Meeteetse Game Warden. I've tried multiple times over the years to get information on ice conditions on Lower Sunshine Reservoir; and he never answers his phone or returns my calls. I know hunting season is a busy time, but how long would it take to reply a simple yes or no as to ice presence or a simple "I don't know". Also he continually tells anglers there are no lakers present in Lower Sunshine and I've been told by several anglers he calls their splake, tiger trout. Game and Fish's sampling this past summer captured a fair amount of lakers. Shouldn't a warden have at least a basic knowledge of his fisheries? And isn't fishing and information at least a part of his job since there are no fish specific wardens?  Every since my bone cancer diagnosis my patience isn't what it once was, so I have a harder time being ignored by someone who appears to have little to no interest in doing his job. Or am I just being unreasonable?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.